*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/763652-Snakes-and-snails-and-puppys-tails
by RICH
Rated: E · Book · Hobby/Craft · #1584786
Blogging, to take over the world.
#763652 added October 24, 2012 at 2:56pm
Restrictions: None
Snakes, and snails, and puppy's tails

Snakes are a standard here where I live.

It does not mean one will see a snake frequently, rarely does one see a snake, or meet up with snakes.

Throughout the years the snakes that have intruded onto or into our property have been worth mentioning.

Mostly these were poisonous, and the majority were Cobra.

The Cape Cobra was the most frequent visitor and also the biggest, clocking in at well over six feet in two cases.

An Egyptian Cobra was a total stranger here as it is supposed to be more to the north where it is warmer..

The Snub-nosed variety have only been noticed once.

The spitting cobra is rather scarce, and as the name indicates, not a customer one wants to meet up with as it can bite and spit.

There was the odd puff-adder, two that comes to mind, in as many decades, and then of those, the one came to 'steal' chicks, and the other stopped for a drink of water from the duck pond when it was noticed.

(Snakes must be aware, when noticed, it is not good for a snake's health.)

There was the odd bird-snake once, not the brightest of creatures, which catches baby birds, and then falls out of the tree.

Today the snake crossed paths with our dog, who duly informed us of the 'intruder'. The snake then met up with the garden rake, which has vicious teeth by the way, and the snake is no more.

The snake measured about four and a half foot, and was a cobra.


Another unusual observation was the bee-eaters who arrived at the feeding trough , today.

The bee-eaters started eating the crushed corn.

Considering those sabre type beaks, it took them a bit of balancing to get the corn down.

Either they are truly hungry, or a new one for me, as they are insect eaters who eat insects on the wing..


The dog had eight puppies.

She is Jack Russel type and the father must be close to that bloodline, as the pups are fair looking Jack Russel copies.

With the new 'law' of not docking a pup's tail, all of these pups still sport a full tail.

Will it make a difference to their outlook on life ?

Only time will tell.


The basic weather pattern here is savannah with thorn bushes, dry winters, and summer rainfall.

For the preceding few years the rainfall was exceptionally high, and a new creature turned up in the garden - snails.

Then 2011 was much dryer and the snails almost all died out.

I found many shells all over, and then on Monday, I found a massive live snail.

It is being treated with due respect as a survivor of the great drought.

The latest guest in the animal farm.

© Copyright 2012 RICH (UN: j2rr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
RICH has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/763652-Snakes-and-snails-and-puppys-tails