*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/764861
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1901355
This is my 2012 NaNoWriMo Novel
#764861 added November 15, 2012 at 12:06am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 3 or Day 3 of NaNoWriMo 2012 (1,722 words)
Chapter 3: Miles Dragonslayer at Number Nine Star Light Court


Gray Landscaping was one of only three building on Main Street dedicated to one business. The other two building were the Middle School and the High School. When K. C. arrived at Gray Landscaping, the office was closed, so he turned west to find Whispering Winds Court the location of his new apartment.


After K. C. left his office, Miles leaned back in his chair and closed his eyes. It had been a stressful three days, when he arrived he found the office locked from the inside. He had to contact the landlords attorney, Rufus Jenkins, to get another key. Once he got into the office, the place looked as if it had been robbed, but the window was nailed shut so no one could have broken in. It took him all day to clean the place up and begin reorganizing the files. He hoped he had been reorganizing the files because otherwise his predecessor was a complete slob.

He had slept in the office for the past two night reorganizing the files and attempting to find a clue as to the disappearance of Jay Porter. The only clue he could find was a week old newspaper scattered on the and the key to the office door laying in an ashtray. It was as if Porter had been in the office when he disappeared off the planet. Fortunately, the office had a private toilet, so Miles had been able to freshen up after his night on the office couch. Now the only thing he wanted to do was go to his mother's house on Star Light Court, take a nice hot shower, and sleep in a real bed. Picking up his duffel-bag he placed the spare office key inside and then hefted the bag onto his left shoulder. After locking the door, he went outside and hailed a taxi.

"Where to, Mister," the cabdriver ask as Miles got into the cab.

"Number Nine Star Light Court," he smiled.

"Ah, the Nolan house," the driver turned on the meter. "You must be Miles Dragonslayer Cora Nolan's son, Jeb has been expecting you."

"Yes, but I didn't know anyone was living there."

"Jeb doesn't normally live there," the driver sped north on Main street. "But ever since he heard Miss Cora's son was coming he's been cleaning the house." Turning right on Star Light Court he stopped in front of Number Nine, got out and opened the back door. Taking the duffel-bag, the driver escorted Miles to the front door and rung the doorbell.

"Keep the change," Miles said handing him a twenty.

"Thank you, Mr. Dragonslayer," he said as an elderly man opened the door. Then he turned to the gray haired gentleman and ask, "Jeb, do you want me to wait for you?"

"No, Carl, if Mr. Dragonslayer doesn't mind, I'll sleep in the guest room again tonight."

"That's fine with me, Jeb," Miles took the duffel Carl handed him and went inside.

"Have you eaten yet, Mr. Dragonslayer," Jeb closed the front door.

"No, I haven't eaten much of anything for three days." He followed Jeb into the kitchen and set down at the table, "I've been too busy organizing the parole office."

"I suppose that's where you've been sleeping, as well."

"Yes."

"Just like your mother," Jeb shook his head as he placed a tray of bread, cold cuts, and cheese in front of Miles.

"Please, sit down and join me," Miles begin making a sandwich. "Did you know my mother well?"

"I'm Jeb Nolan, Cora's older brother." He sat down across from Miles. "I guess she didn't say much about her family here in Dragonview."

"Mom didn't say anything about her life here. Do you mind if I call you, Uncle Jeb?"

"Not at all," he helped himself to the cold cuts. "I wish I'd had a chance to apologize to Cora before she died. I suppose I should explain..."

"Uncle Jeb, if you don't want to talk about it now, that's fine with me. We can discuss it later." He smiled, "right now the only thing I want is a hot shower and a good night's sleep. That couch at the office is uncomfortable."

"Sure thing, Miles. You finish your sandwich and I'll clean up in here. We can discuss family matters at a later date."


So, Mom had a brother, Miles thought as he lay down in the feather bed, his body still warm from the shower. I wonder if she had any other sibling. I guess I should have asked Uncle Jeb tonight, but I can't seem to think of anything... He fell asleep.

"Miles," his mother's voice echoed through his dream, "please go back to Center City. Let the past stay buried."

"I can't Mom," he found himself standing in the middle of a cemetery with roses blooming at the head of every grave. "I have to know. Doctor Marlin said that your illness had a genetic component. I have to know what I'm passing on to my children. I can't marry Sally until I find out about your parents. Mom, I'm sorry, but I have to do this." He woke up with the morning sun shining in his eyes.

He got dressed and went into the kitchen. Laying on the table was a note.

Dear Miles,

My wife sent my son to fetch me home. She gets lonely sleeping by herself. There are cold cut in the ice box, coffee in the pot, and clean cups on the kitchen counter. I'll call back later today or in the morning.

Uncle Jeb

"Ice box," Miles sighed, "Mom always referred to the refrigerator as an ice box." He took opened the refrigerator and removed the cold cuts, then he pour himself a cup of coffee and sit down at the table.

After breakfast, Miles took another shower and then began to unpack his duffel. He carefully hung each shirt in the closet and then went to the chest of drawer. He opened the top drawer and found a photo album laying there. He took the album out of the drawer, carried it into the kitchen, and placed it on the table. Next he poured himself another cup of coffee and sit down at the table.

Opening the photo album he stared at the picture on the first page. It showed a woman holding a baby, under the picture was the words Stella Nolan with her one week old daughter Cora. He turned the page and found a picture of five people four of which were teenagers. Under the picture the caption read Cora at one year old with her brothers Clay, Sam, Frank, and Jeb.

"So, I have four uncles," he took a sip of coffee. "I wonder how many of them are still alive." He turned the pages slowly studying each picture. They showed his mother with either his uncles or his grandmother, but never a picture with his grandfather.

I wonder, he thought as he closed the album, why there is no picture of my grandfather in here. I'll have to have to ask Uncle Jeb when I see him again. He looked at his watch, 8:30 I'd better get to work. He placed his cup in the sink and unplugged the coffee pot.

He unlocked the office door and stood staring into the room. He knew immediately there was something wrong; however, he could not tell what it was. Pushing the door against the wall, to make sure no one was standing behind it, he drew his gun from his shoulder holster and went in. He searched the entire office and the toilet, but found no one. He placed his gun in the holster, went to the desk, and pulled out the chair. Laying open on the chair was a diary with the name Jay Porter written on the front.

He picked up the diary and read the entry. It read, I am going to have to tell her tonight. She is not going to like because she thinks I am going to retire here and marry her. This is my own fault, I have a weakness for good looking rich women and it always gets me in trouble. J. Porter.

An affair, he thought laying the diary on his desk, that would explain why he wanted to leave Dragonview, but does it explain his disappearance. He closed the office door and then sit down at the desk. It's weird that I didn't find that dairy before now, I know I must have sat down on that chair several times in the past three day.

Opening the appointment calendar, he read the notes that Porter had written for the day. The only thing written on the calendar was "Call my wife and beg her for another chance to make our marriage work."

Picking up diary, Miles read several entries and then he picked up the phone and dialed his supervisor. "George, I think I found a clue as to why Jay went missing."

"According to his diary, he was having an affair."

"No, he only refers to her as L."

"I don't know her age, but he did say she was rich."

"Yes, I'll send the diary with my next report or would you like it sooner."

"OK, I'll see you in a couple of days. The address of my mother's house is 9 Star Light Court."

"Sure, bring Sally with you if she wants to come."

He hung up the phone and leaned back in the chair. He knew he should visit Gray Landscaping to find out how the parolees were doing, but the only thing he really wanted to do was visit the Dragonview Cemetery and find his grandparents grave. It bothered him that his grandfather's picture was not in the album. Finally, he came to a compromise. He would go across the street to Gray Landscaping and talk with either Mary Ann Walton-Gray or her office manager Morris Johnson. After that, he would go to the cemetery and spend the afternoon at his grandparents gave.

"Is there anything I'm forgetting," he said to himself as he locked the office door. He checked to make sure his gun was in its holster and then put the key in his slacks pocket.









© Copyright 2012 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/764861