*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/765436-Chapter-Twenty-Seven
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Fantasy · #1901279
My 2012 NaNoWriMo project
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#765436 added November 10, 2012 at 12:09am
Restrictions: None
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Seven


__________________________


         Time pasted quickly. My class grew to over one hundred ladies. I loved them. Each one with a wonderful story that needed to be told. Many of them even wrote as co-authors. I was happy. I could not believe the material that I encountered for books in direction that I decided to write.


         “Mattie,” A guard interrupts my class. “The warden wants to meet with you.”


         “I am in the middle of class.” I said then realize that if he sent for me it must be important. “Stella, could you continue to help those who need  help. You need to get Barb and Tina their supplies. This is their first day, and I have not gotten to give them their bags.”


         Stella was one of my best students. She was in the process of writing her third book. Her biology reached the best seller list. Now she was in the process of writing a inspirational book about turning her life around. “Sure, Teach.” This was my nick name now. “I would be glad to help out.”


         I walk into the warden's office. “Hello, Mattie.” He smiles. “Have good news for you.” I began to wonder what could be the news. “You are up for parole in two weeks, and I have put a word in for you to be able to go home.”


         At this point, I am in tears. I have been here for a year plus. I have not been home with Mom or made the journeys on book signings in all that time. I did not know how to react to this news.


         The next part of the news truly knocked me for a loop.


         “Mattie, you have made such a difference to the woman here. Dr. Tinker says that the behavior of her patients have improved. She informs me that 90 % of the inmates that have attended your class have either had their medicines lowered or have been taken off them all together.” She hands me some paper. “Would you be interested in a position teaching writing even after you have left the prison.”


         I was in shock. I could not imagine that my writing could make a difference in so many lives. I read over the paper work. There were income tax forms to fill out. “A paid position?” I asked.


         “It will start at minimum wage, and we will pay for your associates in writing. After you obtain the credentials, the pay raises.” She hands me a pin. I am so sure that you will be getting released that you can sign right now. I will start you on the pay roll in three days. You have a choice of everyday classes, once a week , or twice a month.”


         “Can I tell you after my parole hearing?” I asked.


         “Sure, but this was a great way to get a pay day while waiting.”


         “ I will sign the contract, but I need the time to figure out which one.” I was asked to take the papers with me for consideration. He shook my hand and I was dismissed back to my class.


         In the library the students were hard at work. There were three working on their own book. They had never written anything in their lives, but they were so excited about it.


         Stella walked up to me to update me on how this class was going. Then she whispered. “Is everything all right with the Warden Joe?” She asked out of concern. I assured them that everything was fine. I told her that I would let her in on the entire story after the class. I had intended to inform the entire class after I had made my decision.


         I tried not to get my hopes up about getting out on parole. However, the more I try to stop thinking about it the more I did think about. I thought about how I would spend the day doing all that my mom wanted to do together. I would invite Rose and her reunited family. I could not stop all the dreams of freedom. In them I was free in my own home making phone calls trying to get my students the recognition that they deserved.


         Today I find myself sitting in the middle of a room. In front of me are six people. They would decide if I stayed or grant me my freedom.


         “Inmate number 7081968.” The Lady in the middle reads off my numbers.


         I was told not to speak until spoken to. I watched the committee open their files. One by one they studied my folder. Then the chair lady began to speak.


         “You have been a very busy girl.” She says.


         “Thank you.” I reply.


         “You have a letter from your sister Rose. She feels that you have spent enough time in for the destruction of her house.” The young man on the end replied.


         “You have a great little class going here. Will this make you miss being here?”


         “No, I have the opportunity to continue teaching with pay after my release.”


         “Do you have anything that you need to tell us before we make our decision?” The chair asks.


         “I know that burning the house down was wrong. I will never set fire or try to harm anyone or their property. I am sorry that I hurt my sister.”I related to them. “I have promised the warden that I will continue the work that I am doing here. I feel that I am making a difference for other people.”


         The woman at the other end of the table speaks. “I see that you have letters of accommodations  from your publisher, your students, and from the warden himself. People seem to have faith in you, and I will take that into consideration when we discuss parole.”


         “Thank you.” I say. They have dismissed me back to my cell.


         “You will hear from us by the end of the week.” The chair lady explains.


          I work day after day in my class. The students were becoming more and more talented in their writing skills. The class was all most too many for me to teach alone. I ask Stella to assist me. She was doing the best in the class, and she enjoyed the craft. She was a kind heart. When she would correct something, she did it in am manner that gave encouragement not defeat. The two was working well together.


         Then the warden call for me again. I knew that this was the moment that I would find out my fate, freedom or two more years.


         “Hello  Inmate number 7081968.” The chair lady greets me. “ We have decided to grant your parole with the following conditions: You have probation until the sentence would have been served.” She said looking at the file. “Two years, and you can not be in the company of any convicted persons out side of your job. You are to meet with your parole officer twice a month. Last you can not associate with or pro-take of any drugs, legal or illegal without a doctor's prescription.” She smiles and points me to the door. “Now go gather your things and read over your teaching contracts. After we finish the paperwork, the Warden Joe will send for you to sign this agreement of parole.”


         This time I shook the hands of each of the parole panel. I was happy to do so.  Then I left to address my class.


                   
© Copyright 2012 Ida_Matilda_Wright Help (UN: writing_life at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ida_Matilda_Wright Help has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/765436-Chapter-Twenty-Seven