*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/765442
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1901355
This is my 2012 NaNoWriMo Novel
#765442 added November 15, 2012 at 12:11am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 10 or Day 10 of NaNoWriMo 2012 (1,728 words)
Chapter 1: K. C. Returns to Dragonview (version 2)


"Now entering Dragonview," came the bus drivers voice over the intercom, "in the province of Applewhite."

K. C. woke up with a start and looked out the window. The buildings were unfamiliar and alien to his memory of the city of his birth. At first, he did not realize they were driving east on Main Street, but then the bus stopped at a light. The sign on the casino read The Red Dragon at 100 West Main Street, with the loosest slots in Dragonview. That, he thought as the bus light turned green and the bus proceeded on it journey, is a place I have to visit. After I take care of a little personal business with the Applewhite bitch.

At the next light, K. C. found himself staring at the front entrance of the Middle School. The bronze gate was closed, but he know by the number of vehicles in the teachers parking lot that classes were in session. He smiled as he remember the four years he attended classes there, that was where he met Lena Calvin. It was at that school, in Mrs. Zimmerman's history class that he had first kissed Lena. He smiled remembering Lena's reaction when she found out it was because of a bet, the stunt had gotten them both detention. At the end of the detention period, Lena forgave him and returned the kiss. They started dating in earnest after graduating high school.

"Dragonview bus station," announced the driver, "last stop. Everybody off!"

Chapter 10: Miles Dragonslayer at Dragonview cemetery


Miles Dragonslayer entered Gray Landscaping and looked around. The place was completely empty so he walked to the reception desk and rung the bell. "May I help you," a dark haired man with a graying beard came out of one of the offices.

"Yes, I'm Miles Dragonslayer and I'm looking for Morris Johnson."

"You've found him," said Morris extending his hand. "What can I do for you, Mr. Dragonslayer?"

Shaking Morris's hand Miles said, "I came to make sure that K. C. Wainwright isn't assigned to the Applewhite property."

"Already done," Morris smiled, "I've assigned Wainwright to the Baldwin place. Mrs. Walton-Gray suspected there might be a problem if he were assigned to the Applewhite estate. Will there be anything else?"

"Not this week, Mr. Johnson, but next week I'll want a list of all the parolees with their assigned jobs."

"I'm working on that report now, I'll have it on your desk by the end of the week."

"Thank you," he left the office.

Miles stood outside Gray Landscaping contemplating his next move. Since there were no parolees scheduled to arrive and he did not need to do anymore work in his office. He was free to go to the cemetery and visit his grandparent's graves. Do I walk to the cemetery, he thought turning east toward the taxicab office, which was on the other side of the bus station, or do I hail a taxi?

"Miles," a familiar voice called from the door of the bus station. "Where are you headed?"

"To the cemetery, Uncle Jake."

"My car is parked behind the bus station," he took the keys out of his pocket. "If you don't mind driving, we can go together."

"I'd like that," he took the keys his uncle handed him and they entered the bus station. They walked quickly through the waiting area of the bus station and out the back door. In the parking lot, Jake opened the passenger door of a green late model station wagon and got in. Miles got in on the drivers side and buckled his seat belt. "I gather you don't like driving this wagon, Uncle." He drove out of the parking lot and turned east on Main Street.

"Is it that obvious," he smiled. "My son bought it for me as a birthday gift, so I have to drive it when he's in town."

"Would you prefer a standard transmission or a horse and buggy?"

"A horse and buggy, Miles," Jake laughed, "but my wife and my son think that car is safer, since it can't kick me in the head."

They drove into the cemetery's parking lot and miles took a spot closest to the entrance. They got out and walked into the lobby. "Good afternoon, Mr. Dragonslayer and Mr. Nolan," Louis was setting at the reception desk reading a book. "Would either of you like me to take you to the grave site you're visiting."

"Where are the Nolan gave sites," ask Miles.

"They're located in the north-west corner of the cemetery," said Louis. "That's about four miles from here."

"Louis," said Jake, "can you take us there and then return for us in a couple of hours?"

"Sure," Louis led them through the one of the chapels and into to the cemetery. "Would you prefer the bicycle drawn carts."

"Yes," said Miles and smiled when he saw the relief on Louis' face. "Has it been a busy day, Louis."

"Yes, Sir," he got on one of the bikes. "And it's going to be a busy night as well." Miles and Jake got into the cart and they started out.

"My mother always like roses," Miles said inhales the scent of roses as they rode through the cemetery. "She always had rose bushes growing around the house."

"She got that from our mother," Jake said. "Mom loved roses much that she planted them all over the yard. The roses bushes withered and died after Mom died." He studied the expression on his nephew's face, "Miles, did Cora tell you anything about the family."

"No, Uncle Jake," Miles shook his head. "I didn't even know she had brothers until I met you and looked at the photo album."

"I figured as much," he sighed. "I expect you have a lot of questions about your grandparents and the rest of the family."

"Louis," Jake said when he stopped at the Nolan grave site. "How safe is it here at night?"

"The ghosts don't get upset unless someone desecrates the graves and I don't expect either you or Mr. Dragonslayer to do that." When Jake and Miles got out of the cart he turned back toward the gate. "I'll return in a couple of hours and take you back to the entrance."

"Uncle Jake," Miles said after reading the dates of death on the headstone. "Is this date on Andrew Nolan's headstone correct?"

"Yes."

"Stella Nolan was my grandmother and she was married to Andrew Nolan," Miles frowned. "Andrew Nolan died two years before my mother was born."

"Yes," Jake smiled at the perplexed expression on Miles' face. "My father was the Constable at that time and he was killed in the line of duty."

"So that's why Mom never said much about her parents," he turned to face his uncle. "Uncle Jake, who was my grandfather?"

"Luther Applewhite."

"Well, that would explain the resemblance between Miss Lydia and myself." He walked over to the Applewhite grave site and studied the dates on the headstones. "Uncle Jake, who is Nancy Applewhite?"

"She was Luther Applewhite's wife," he sighed. "I suppose you're wondering why there is no date of death for her on the head stone?"

"Yes."

"Nancy disappeared right after she gave birth to Lydia, since no body was ever found no date of death was placed on the head stone."

"Didn't anyone look for her?"

"Miles," Jake frowned and lead his nephew to one of the benches sitting next to the path through the cemetery. "In Dragonview when someone disappears it's usually because they piss off an Applewhite."

Miles sit down next to his uncle, "Uncle Jake..."

"Rumor has it that Nancy pissed off Selma, her mother-in-law, and that Selma caused her to disappear."

"How?"

"Miles," Jake bit his lower lip. "The Applewhites are sorcerers..."

"They use spells to channeling magic through their bodies or any object don't they, Uncle Jake?"

"In most cases, yes."

"Uncle Jake, did Grandpa Luther die in excruciating pain?"

"Yes," Jake checked his watch, "I believe it started with a headache, which increased in intensity and then spread throughout his body. Why?"

"That's how my mother died. The doctor said Mom's disease had a genetic component, but he didn't know whether it was because of a mutation in her genome or something she inherited." Miles took a deep breath, "He also said that the disease shows up, all most exclusively, in magic users. That was the reason I took this assignment in Dragonview."

"I'm not sure I understand, Miles."

"Uncle Jake," Miles smiled, "Since Mom didn't say anything about the circumstances of her birth or parents, I presumed the disease was caused by a mutation in her genome. However, since she probably inherited it from her father, that means I can steps to treat it before it becomes fatal in my children or myself."

"Does Miss Lydia also have the disease?"

"There is a high chance she does, which means I need to tell so that she can take steps to treat it."

"Why?" Jake frowned, "There are people in this town who would just as soon see Her Royal Highness dead and the more painful her death the better they would like it."

"Uncle, I couldn't live with myself if I didn't tell her about the disease. It wouldn't matter if she had wronged me or not."

"Well, Miles," Jake grinned, "You are definitely Cora's son, because she felt the same way,"

About that time, Louis returned with two passengers in a cart. He let them off at a grave site across from the Nolan grave site, turned around, and stopped in front of the bench on which Miles and Jake were sitting.

"Mr. Dragonslayer," Louis said, " are you and Mr. Nolan ready to go yet."

"Yes," said Miles.

"Louis," said Jake, "why did you ask a question you already knew the answer to. I know for a fact that you have the talent of sight, so you don't need to ask questions when you already know the answer."

"Because, Mr. Nolan, it makes some of the visitor's nervous when I use the talent."

"Well, Louis," said Jake, "It doesn't make me nervous and I doubt that it makes Miles nervous, so you can stop pretending you don't have the talent. At least with us."









© Copyright 2012 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/765442