*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/765630
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1901355
This is my 2012 NaNoWriMo Novel
#765630 added November 15, 2012 at 12:13am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 12 or Day 12 of NaNoWriMo 2012 (1,669 words)
Chapter 12: A Homework Assignment


Mary Ann stood at the kitchen sink, staring into her private garden. She was supposed to be washing dishes but instead she watched Maze and young Arnold weeding the tomatoes. Maze said something to Arnold and he stood up. Then he began picking the weeds that lay beside the rows of tomatoes, when he had a hand full he walked to the wooden fence which separated the compost heap from the garden and threw the weeds over the fence. Then he returned to the tomato rows and repeated the action.

Just like his father, Mary Ann thought as she watched her son extend the weeding as long as possible. Arnold, Jr. doesn't want to do homework, so he's prolonging the weeding. I guess I'd better give Maze some backup. Picking up a dishtowel, she dried her hands and went to the kitchen door.

"Arnold," she called as she opened the screen door. "It's time to do your homework, so come on into the house."

Throwing the last hand full of grass over the fence, Arnold picked up a basket of green tomatoes and headed for the house. Instead, of walking directly up the path that lead to the backdoor, he meandered through the garden going through each vegetable section until he came to the steps leading up to the back porch. Then he sit the basket down on the bottom step, leaded down and untied his right shoe. He retied his right shoe and then did the same thing with his left shoe.

"Are you going to bring that basket of tomatoes in," Mary Ann smiled as she watched Arnold brush dirt off his pants. "While they're still green?"

"Yes, Mom," he sighed then picked up the basket and climbed the stairs.

In the kitchen, he sit the basket on the counter and then opened the refrigerator door. He stared at the contents for about five minutes and then closed the door without taking anything out. Next he went to the pantry, opened the door and stared at its contents. This time he removed a jar of sliced sweet pickles, carried them to the kitchen counter and then went back to the pantry for a loaf of bread, which he placed on the counter next to the pickles.

Arnold opened the cutlery drawer, removed a paring knife, and placed it beside the bread. From the basket, he removed a large green tomato and place it with the other items. Then he went back to the refrigerator and removed the guacamole spread, which he placed next to the green tomato. Opening the cutlery drawer, he removed a butter knife and placed it on the counter.

"Arnold," sad Maze as she came into the kitchen carrying a basket of red peppers. "You forgot this basket of peppers."

"Thank you, Maze," he removed a huge pepper from the basket and placed it next to the other items.

"Mary Ann," Maze placed the basket of peppers on the counter. "What's Arnold doing?"

"Trying to find something else to do in place of homework."

"No," Arnold frowned, "I'm making a tomato and pepper sandwich!"

"Would you like your Mom or me to fry the tomato?" She removed the tomatoes from the basket and began washing them.

"No, Miss Maze," Arnold smiled, "I want the tomato raw."

"I didn't think you liked raw green tomatoes."

"Well, Miss Maze, Mom said I shouldn't say I don't like something until I tried it." He removed a slice of bread from the loaf. "So I decided I'd try one in my sandwich."

"Arnold," Mary Ann picked up the paring knife and placed it by the sink. "It's time to do your homework, so go into the sitting room and begin working on it, while Maze and I fix supper."

"But, Mom..." Arnold could see by the look on his mother's face that there was no use arguing with her. "Oh, all right." He laid down the slices of bread and left the kitchen.

"Mary," Maze said removing an iron skillet from beneath the stove. "You go see what's going on with Arnold, while I fix supper."

"OK, let me know if you need my assistance." Mary Ann left the kitchen.

Mary Ann entered the sitting room, as Arnold was removing his books from his backpack and laying them on a small desk by the window. He took a piece of paper from one of the pockets of his backpack and placed it on top of his history book. Then he rummaged through the backpack for a writing implement. Once he found the pinnacle, then he begin looking for a sheet of paper.

Mary Ann shook her head and picked up a a sheet of paper laying on the coffee table. "Here, Arnold," she laid the paper down in front of him and then pulled a chair next to the desk. "What's your home work tonight?"

"History," his brow wrinkled. "I'm supposed to interview someone born in Dragonview and write a report."

"I see," she did not look at the paper lying on top of the history book, instead she focused on her son." Who are you supposed to interview?"

"We drew names from a hat and I..."

"Whose name did you draw, Arnold?"

"Miss Lydia's."

"Do you want me to ask her?"

"No, Mom," he took a deep breath, "I'm supposed to write a letter to her requesting an interview and explaining why I want the interview. Could ye send the letter after my teacher approves it?"

"Yes."

"I'll write the letter now, Mom, would you proofread it."

"Of course." She patted him on the hand, "I'll go see if Maze needs help while you write the letter."

"OK, Mom."

In the kitchen, Mary Ann set the table for supper. After the table was set, she went to the refrigerator and took out a pitcher of milk. Pouring some of the milk in a glass, she sit it in front of Arnold's plate next to an empty glass and the put the pitcher back in the refrigerator. She took out another pitcher containing sweetened ice tea and poured three glasses. She sit the glasses by the other plates and placed the pitcher in the center of the table.

"What was the problem," Maze placed a tray of fried tomatoes on the table.

"A history report," Mary Ann smiled. "Arnold has to interview Miss Lydia about the history of Dragonview. The teacher wants him to write a letter requesting the interview and once she OK's it then he will send the letter."

"Will she agree to an interview?"

"I don't see why not," Mary Ann frowned. "She may be a b.... difficult with adults, but I don't think she's every refused a request from a child."

"Mom," Arnold entered the kitchen and handed her the letter. "Did I spell all the words right and is that a proper letter."

Mary Ann took the letter and read it silently. She smiled when she read the last paragraph, in which Arnold requested the interview. He requested the interview in her private garden and explained that since he was too young to drive a car, his mother would have to bring him to the interview.

"Who told you Miss Lydia had the most beautiful garden in town?"

"Jose Fastrunner," Arnold sighed. "I talked to him the last time I visited your office. You were busy and I had to wait."

"Well," she laughed, "Jose takes very good care of that garden." She handed the letter back to him, "You wrote a perfect letter, Arnold. What are you going to ask Miss Lydia when you do the interview?"

"The teacher says we have to write a list of questions, so she can approve them. Will you help me with the question, Mom?"

"Yes, now put the letter with your class book so that we can eat."

"Good evening, Ladies," said Morgan as he came in the kitchen door. "Anything interesting happening?"

"Arnold has to interview Miss Lydia for a history report," Maze kissed her husband.

"That sounds like fun," he grinned.

"Morgan," Mary Ann sit down at the table, "why are you so happy?"

"Old man Baldwin likes the way Wainwright trimmed his hedge," he handed Mary Ann a letter. "He wants him assigned to him to do all his yard work. That's the request."

"Good," said Mary Ann reading the request. "It says here that Wainwright is an old class mate of his cousin Katie."

"Yep, I guess the problem with the other parolees had nothing to do with them being ex-cons."

Arnold came into the kitchen, placed a piece of paper and a pinnacle by his plate, and sit down by his mother. "Mom, can you Maze and Morgan suggest question to ask Miss Lydia?"

"We'd be glad to help you, Arnold," said Maze and then whispered something to her husband. "Ask her how the city got its name."

"Yes," said Morgan placing several tomato slices on his plate. "One of her ancestors founded the town, so she should have some good stories about how the town was named."

"How many questions are you supposed to have," Mary Ann took a sip of tea.

"The teacher says at least six," Arnold finished his milk.

"How about why the Dragonview was founded in this location," Mary Ann poured some sweet tea into his empty glass. "Also, why the part of the original forest was left untouched on east side of town."

"Those are great questions," Arnold carefully printed each question. "Can I ask about the black roses on Applewhite Avenue?"

"Arnold," Morgan poured himself another glass of tea. "Haven't you ever heard why the roses are only at the end of that street?"

"Morgan," Arnold smiled, "I've heard about ten stories of the roses and I would like to know the real story. I think Miss Lydia would know."

"I'll agree with that," Morgan laughed because he had heard twenty-five different stories, none of which he believed.









© Copyright 2012 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/765630