*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/765845
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1901355
This is my 2012 NaNoWriMo Novel
#765845 added November 15, 2012 at 1:37am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 13 or Day 13 of NaNoWriMo 2012 (1,698 words)
Chapter 12: A Homework Assignment (Arnold's questions)

Which Applewhite founded Dragonview?
Why do black roses indicate Dragonview city limits?
Why was part of the original forest left only on the east side of town?
How did Dragonview get its name?
Why was Dragonview founded in this location?
Why does Dragonview expand only toward the north, south, and west?

Chapter 13A: Mary Ann Walton-Gray on the weekend

Mary Ann sit on her front porch staring at her immaculate lawn and listening the birds. Beside her was a table containing coffee pot, a half full cup of coffee, a pen, and a stack of papers. It was supposed to be her day off, but no matter how hard she tried she could not relax. She could feel the approach of disaster like a cloud of nasuas gas hanging above her.

She picked up the first paper, it was the list of questions Arnold gave her before he and Maze left to attend to the school garden. She smiled, remembering Arnold's joy when he told her that the principle has has him to check the garden on the weekends. He had half heartedly ask her to go with him, but she had declined say Maze would be able to answer any questions about the plant better then her.

The questions were neatly written and in the order Arnold intended to ask during the interview. He had even written precisely how he would address Lydia Applewhite. Well, she thought as she read the questions, his teachers keep saying he is a genius and wise beyond his years. She sighed, Perhaps I'm too over protective, maybe I should let them advance in one grade. Again she wished his father were still alive, so that she could discuss this decision with him. Placing Arnold's questions on the bottom of the stack of papers, she picked up her pen and checked the first item off her to do list.

The next paper was the Baldwin request to have K. C. Wainwright assigned as his permanent groundskeeper. As she picked it up, she smelled the sulfuric breath of a dragon. She raised her head and looked into the sky, expecting to see a flock of dragons winging their way across the city, but the only thing she saw was a blue-black crow sitting on her front walk, with its beady red eyes staring at her. As the bird flew away a chill crawled up her spine. She looked back down at the paper, she could think of no logical reason to refuse the request.

Mary Ann could not get over the feeling that there was something odd and dangerous about Baldwin's request. His reason for requesting Wainwright made sense. Baldwin paid enough to have any groundskeeper he wanted, still she felt that he had an ulterior motive. Again, she wondered why Baldwin had chosen to spend his retirement years in Dragonview rather then a coastal retirement community. Then she remembered that Baldwin had never specifically said what he retired from. However, none of those were reasons to refuse the request, so reluctantly she picked up her pen and signed off on the request.

"Another item checked off my to do list," she whisper placing the request on the bottom of the stack of papers and poured coffee into her cup. Sipping the coffee she stared at the papers, most of them she could handle at work. They were simply assignments that did not really need her signature or even approval. Both Morgan and Morris could handle them without her help.

The only one piece of paper in the stack she needed to sign off on and that was the Baldwin request. The next person to approve it would be Miles Dragonslayer and once he signed it then Morgan would inform Baldwin the request was approved. Picking up the stack of papers, Mary Ann went into the house and placed the paper on the coffee table in the sitting room. Then she went into the bathroom, turned on the hot water, and poured lavender bubble bath into the tub.

Chapter 13B: Miles Dragonslayer at the bus station

Miles Dragonslayer sit down on a bench in front of the bus station and checked his watch. In approximately thirty minutes the midday bus would arrive, so he had time enough to finish reading Jay Parker's diary. He was not sure why he continued reading his predecessor's ravings because he had already came to the conclusion that Parker was having an affair with Lydia Applewhite, but since she was never specifically named he needed more proof.

As he finished the last page, the midday bus stopped and the passengers began disembarking. Putting the diary back in his pocket he got up and walked to the bus. He knew that George and Sally would be the last passengers to get off. George preferred setting at the back of the bus because he could watch the other passengers without being noticed and Sally did not care where she sit as long as she could sleep. Finally the last two passengers got off, a gray haired man in his early fifties and a blond about twenty-five.

"Miles," the blond said putting her arms around Dragonslayer and kissing him, "I missed you."

"I missed you, Sweet Heart," Miles returned Sally's kiss and then shook hands with George. "How you doing, Old Man."

"Find," George patted Miles on the back. "Did you figure out who Parker was having the affair with?"

"I've got a pretty good idea, George," Miles took Parker's diary out of his pocket and handed it to George. "Unfortunately, he never specifically mentions her name. You read it and tell me what you think."

"Are we staying at your place, Miles," Sally ask as Miles picked up her suite case.

"Yes," he took Sally's hand and led her to the taxi office on the other side of the bus station, where a cab was waiting.

"Joe," he said to the cabdriver. "Take us to Number Nine Star Light Court."

"Sure, Mr. Dragonslayer," Joe said as he opened the backdoor of the cab and then put the luggage in the trunk. Joe got in the cab and turned on the meter. "Is this your faience?"

"Yes," he laughed. "I gather Uncle Jake's been bragging again."

"He's mighty proud that Cora's son is back in Dragonview," Joe smiled. "Ever since his sons left for the coast he and Jane have been a bit lonely. They miss having relatives around."

"Sally and I will be here for a while," Miles squeezed Sally's hand. "All things considered Dragonview is a pleasant town."

"We try to welcome strangers," the cab turned onto Star Light Court. "But I don't think your predecessor liked it here."

"Did he cause any trouble," George ask.

"No real trouble, Mr..."

"Jenkins, George Jenkins."

"As I was saying," he stopped the cab in front of Number Nine. "No real trouble; it's just that he kept making snide remarks about us natives. He called us sheep shearers." He turned off the meter, "The only one he was polite to was Miss Lydia, which was probably a good idea because it isn't wise to make Her Royal Highness angry."

"So I've heard," said Miles as he got out of the cab and paid Joe.

Inside the house, Miles showed George the guestroom and then turned to Sally. "The only other bedroom is mine. I'll put your bag in there and I'll sleep on the couch."

"Are you angry with me," Sally glared at him.

"No."

"Is it because I'm here," George ask.

"Well, Sir,..."

"Miles, just because I'm Sally's father doesn't me you have to change living arrangement." He opened the door to the guestroom, "And don't call me sir when I'm off duty."

Miles showed Sally to the bedroom and then went into the kitchen. On the table was a scarlet vase containing a dozen red roses, with a note laying beside the vase. Picking up the note, Miles smiled as he read it. Miles, Here are some roses for your lady. There is coffee in the pot and cold cuts in the ice box. Uncle Jake. Removing one rose from the vase, Miles went back to the bedroom and knocked on the door before going in.

"For you," he handed the rose to Sally.

"It's beautiful, but where'd you get it?"

"My Uncle Jake left a dozen of them on the kitchen table for you."

"How sweet," she hugged Miles and together they went into the kitchen. Where they found George making himself a sandwich.

"You want to explain something to me, Miles," George said sitting down at the table. "Who is Her Royal Highness? And why is it wise to be polite to her?"

"Her Royal Highness," Miles made himself a sandwich, "is what most people call Lydia Applewhite behind her back." He sit down at the table. "She is a sorcerer and people who make her angry disappear without a trace."

"I see," George took a sip of coffee. "Could she be behind Parker's disappearance?"

"It's possible," Miles frowned. "George, there's something you and Sally need to know."

"What is it," ask Sally.

"That Lydia Applewhite is my aunt."

"Your aunt?" George frowned, "How do you figure that?"

"Because my grandfather is Luther Applewhite, who was also a sorcerer and Miss Lydia's father."

"Did he die of Sorcerers Syndrome," Sally frowned.

"I think so, but I haven't discussed this with Miss Lydia yet." He finished his sandwich, "I was planning on doing that next week."

"Is there enough evidence to discuss Parker's disappearance with her," George got up and made himself another sandwich.

"Read the diary, George, and then you tell me."

"Miles, when you arrived what did you find in Parker's office?"

"A mess, George, it took me three days to clean the office and get all the files back in there proper order."

"Were any files missing?"

"I don't think so," Miles rubbed his temples. "At least, not any open files. I haven't had a chance to check all the closed files yet."

"I'll do that this coming week," George yawned. "Right now I want to go to bed."
















© Copyright 2012 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/765845