*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/766232
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1901355
This is my 2012 NaNoWriMo Novel
#766232 added November 20, 2012 at 1:39am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 18 or Day 18 of NaNoWriMo 2012 (1,672 words)
Chapter 18: Mary Ann has a busy day


After Miles Dragonslayer left her office, Mary Ann picked up Colonel Whitehead's card and stared at it for a couple of seconds. She reached across her desk and flipped on the intercom, "Sadie, could you come in her for a moment." A few minutes later, Sadie enter the office without knocking.

"Yes," Sadie came into the office and closed the door behind her. "How can I help, Mary Ann," she did not think she would ever get use to using the less formal address when clients were not present.

"Did Colonel Whitehead say what he wanted?"

"No, but when he first came in this morning it seemed urgent. Then Mr. Dragonslayer came in they set and talked. Apparently, Colonel Whitehead said something quite funny, because Mr. Dragonslayer laughed for about twenty minutes. After talking to Mr. Dragonslayer, Colonel Whitehead's business apparently became less urgent and he left."

"Well," Mary Ann said placing Colonel Whitehead's card in her date book. "I'll have to call him this afternoon, right now I need to find someone to take his place at the Applewhite estate. Jose Fastrunner is supposed to be off today," her brow wrinkled. "Hold all my calls for the next hour, I have to call Miss Lydia and apologize for Sam not being there. Also, bring me the Long file and the Fastrunner file."

After Sadie left the room, Mary Ann picked up the receiver with her right hand and dialed the Applewhite number with her left. "Hello, JoJo, is Miss Lydia available?"

"Miss Lydia," Mary Ann smiled, she always smiled when she spoke to any client on the phone. "Sam Long ill and won't be there today. I apologize for the inconvenience."

"I see," she tapped on the desk with her left hand. "Is Jose badly hurt?"

"I'll assign someone to clean the front yard and take care of the orchard for the next few months. Does Jose need any assistance with the private garden?"

"Also, Miss Lydia, I'm making Jose your permanent groundskeeper."

"You're welcome, Miss Lydia."

A knock sounded on the office door, then Sadie entered the office carrying two files, and closed the door behind her. "Here are those files, Mary Ann, and Constable Parker is waiting to see you."

"Did he say what he wants?"

"No," Sadie laughed. "But it appears urgent because he's pacing back and forth in front of the reception desk and looking at his watch every two seconds."

"Is his nostrils flaring?"

"No, but the vein in his neck is bulging."

"Then you'd better send him in before he has a heart attack."

Mary Ann glanced at the name on the first file, then she placed it face down on her desk and put the other file on top, with the name visible. "Good morning, Constable Parker," she said as he stomped into her office. "Please have a seat."

"Mrs. Walton-Gray," he growled as he sit down in the chair directly in front of her. "What's Jose Fastrunner's new address?"

"You'll have to get that information from Mr. Dragonslayer," she smiled sweetly.

"Dragonslayer isn't in his office and the military clone sitting at his desk said he hadn't seen him all morning."

"Mr. Dragonslayer was waiting in my reception area when I arrived this morning," she lowered her voice two octaves. "We had a pleasant discussion and he left."

"What did you talk about?"

"Parolees, of course, Constable Parker," the sweet smile froze on her face as she watched the vein in his neck bulge even more.

"Which parolees?"

"That, Constable Parker, is none of your business. Is there any other questions I can answer?"

"You haven't answered any of my questions, yet," he glared at her. "Do you know where Dragonslayer went?"

"He's a parole office and this is a work day. I presume he went to visit parolees."

"I should know better then to ask you anything. You never give me a straight answer." He got up and stalked out of her office.

Well, she though moving the Fastrunner file to the top of the stack. If you ask questions that are none of your business you should expect evasive answers. Opening the file, she marked out the address of the boarding house and instead of the new address she wrote in, please contact Parole Office Dragonslayer for more information. Then opening her address book to the section labeled F, she wrote in J.F. @ L.A.'s guest house.

"Morning, Mary Ann," said Morgan walking in unannounced. "How is your day going?" He sit down in front of the desk.

"Interesting," she laid the Fastrunner file aside and opened the Long file. "A Colonel Whitehead was here and left his card with a message to call him at my convenience. Dragonslayer was here with Jose new address. And Constable Parker was here demanding Fastrunner's new address."

"I saw Fastrunner this morning, he looks like he lost a battle with an angry Centaur."

"Anything else interesting," she wrote something in Sam Long's file and laid it aside.

"Yes, I encountered a couple of MP's wanting Fastrunner's new address."

"What did you tell them?"

"To see his parole officer and that pissed them off grumbling about stupid civilians."

"Morgan, I don't suppose you have any idea about what's going on?"

"No, but I'm looking forward to finding out."

The intercom crackled to life, "Mrs. Walton-Gray," said Sadie. "Your son is here to see you and the mail has arrived."

"Sadie," Mary Ann smiled. "Show Arnold in."

"Mama, look," Arnold bounced joyfully into the office holding a letter in his hand. "It's from Miss Lydia."

"That's wonderful," she pulled him onto her lap. "What does it say?"

"I haven't opened it yet, Mama, because I wanted to be with you when I did." He opened the letter and read it aloud.

Dear Mr. Arnold Gray Jr.

I would be honored to answer your questions about the history of Dragonview. The afternoon of the date stated in your letter is good. I am looking forward to meeting you and seeing your mother again.

Sincerely,
Miss Lydia Applewhite

Looking up, she saw Maze standing behind Morgan. Both Morgan and Maze were smiling. Mary Ann kissed her son on the forehead. "Do you have to go back to school this afternoon?"

"Yes," Arnold hugged his mother. "This afternoon I get to work in the school garden. Maze said she would help me identify the plant."

"Then you'd better go."

"OK," he got down off her lap and laid the letter on her desk. "Mama, could you keep the letter safe; I want to read it again this evening."

"All right, Sweetie," she hugged him. He and Maze left the office.

Sadie came into the office with bunch of letters in each hand. She handed the letters in her right hand to Mary Ann and the letters in her left to Morgan. "I'm taking the afternoon off because Jake's sister is arriving on the afternoon bus. Morris is here to handle the reception desk."

"Do you want tomorrow morning off, as well, Sadie," Mary Ann ask.

"No," she smiled. "Jake's taking his sister to the Red Dragon Casino tomorrow. Apparently, there are no casinos where she lives." She starts to leave, but stops at the door. "Is there anything special I need to do tomorrow?"

"No, Sadie, I'll see you in the morning."

"A letter from Maureen," Mary Ann picked up a letter opener and opened the letter from her-sister-in-law. "I wonder why she didn't send it to the house."

"I'll see you this evening, Mary Ann," picking up his letters he left the office.

After Morgan left, Mary Ann went to coffee pot and poured herself a large mug. Then she returned to her desk and removed the letter from the envelope.

Dear Mary,

I'm writing you at your office, because I want Henry to think I'm writing for advice about hiring a gardener. Something weird, is going on here at the base. Two retired brigadier generals have been meeting with the Supreme Military council for the past few days. One of them is a Max Baldwin, who's retirement home is in Dragonview and the other general's name is Lux.

Henry says that Brigadier General Baldwin is raving about about bodies being buried in an elderly woman's private garden. While Brigadier General Lux is ranting about the greatest magic user ever born. Henry is of the opinion that both are missing a few cartridges. Anyway, Baldwin has ordered Henry and a dozen other noncoms to Dragonview to assist his gardener, a K. C. Wainwright, to dig up the woman's garden looking for bodies. I thought I'd better let you know what's going on.

Mary, I'm afraid this assignment is going to get Henry court marshaled and I'm not sure how I can prevent that. If he is court marshaled, then the children and I are going to have to live with you and Arnold Jr. for a while. I think the troops will be arriving in the middle of the night sometime within the next week. Until they begin digging up the garden, they will stay at Baldwin's home; actually, I should say hide at Baldwin's home.

Yours ever,
Maureen

Mary Ann stared at the letter for a few minutes, then she picked up the phone and dialed Morgan's extension. "Morgan, could you come in here for a few minutes and bring Morris with you. I think we have a problem."

About ten minutes later, Morris and Morgan came into her office. "Morris, is the front door locked?"

"Yes, and I put the Out To Lunch sign up."

"Take a look at this," she handed Morgan the letter.

"Shit," said Morgan as he handed to letter to Morris. "What are we going to do?"

"I don't know," she shook her head. "But if those soldiers disappear while digging up Miss Lydia's private garden the Supreme Council will..."

"Probably declare war on Dragonview," said Morris as he laid the letter on her desk.










© Copyright 2012 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/766232