*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/767172
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1901355
This is my 2012 NaNoWriMo Novel
#767172 added November 30, 2012 at 2:00am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 28 or Day 28 of NaNoWriMo 2012 (1,861 words)
Chapter 28: Questions Answered


"So, Ladies and Gentlemen, who want to begin the questions?"

"Miss Lydia," Jake stood up as if he were addressing group of students. "Why did Mister Luther, think you mother was still alive?"

"Because my mother was and is still alive somewhere in another dimension," a tear fell down her cheek. "Grandma Selma wasn't the easiest woman to get along with, anyone could piss her off quite easily and once she was pissed off her anger grew. The more she thought about an act or phrase that pissed her off the angrier she got." She stopped unsuccessfully attempting to control her tears. "On the night of my birth, she said something to make Grandma Selma angry. A few days later, while Mama was taking a nap and Pop was changing me. Grandma Selma went into the Typewriter Office and typed the manuscript that caused my mother to disappear. Pop hired Jo Jo Grandmother to wet nurse me and her Grandfather to tend the private garden. He had the guest house built for them."

"Then Mister Luther really wasn't a widower?"

"No, Jake," she dabbed her eyes with the hem of her robe. "I think if he had been, he would've married Miss Stella."

"I wish I could've apologized to him for my actions."

"You didn't need to, Jake," she smiled. "Pop always thought you were the bravest of Cora's brothers." She took a sip of wine, "Who's next?"

"I'll go," said George. "Miss Lydia, were you having an affair with Jay Parker?"

"Yes," she blushed. "I thought he was in love with me and when I found out he was married and only using me, I go angry and wrote the manuscript Jay Parker Alone on an Angry Sea. Mr. Jenkins, would you like me to get the manuscript now or wait until I've answered everyone else's questions?"

"Is there a way to free Jay, Miss Lydia?"

Yes," she sighed, "unlike my grandmother, I always leave a way for the person to escape. In Jay's case his wife has to read the manuscript aloud."

"I'd prefer to wait until after everyone's questions have been answered."

"In that case," she took another sip of wine and sit the glass on a side table. "Who's next?" When no one answered, she turned to Sally. "Don't you have a question, My Dear?"

"I haven't been in Dragonview long enough to become curious about the disappearances, so my question has nothing to do about any of the disappearances. I'm curious about the bell and where it came from."

"The bell and its poem spell was a gift to my grandmother from her father."

"Mary Ann, what is your question?" Lydia studied the expression on Mrs. Walton-Gray's face.

"I have a request, rather then a question. If that's all right, Miss Lydia?"

"What is your request?"

"The new principle at my son's school is the brother of the last principle; the principle you or should I say The Typewriter made disappear. Could you give him the manuscript about his sister, but don't tell him I made the suggestion."

"Of course," Lydia gave a sigh of relief. It had been a long time since she felt relaxed enough to discuss The Typewriter or any of the manuscripts. Maybe, she thought, I'm getting too old to practice this type of magic.

A flash of lightning illuminated the room. After a few minutes, a thunder clap rattle the windows and an even brighter streak of lightning flashed across the sky. A screech echoed from the street drawing everyone's attention to the window. Setting in the middle of the street, their front feet raised in attack mode and their wings outstretched were two dragons, one black and one bronze. As they watched, the black dragon run his claws across the chest of the bronze dragon drawing blood. The bronze dragon screamed and a gold dragon descended on top of the black dragon, ripping his outstretched wings. When the black dragon turned to defend himself, the bronze dragon few away followed by the gold.

"Well," said Jake turning to face the group. "This is one hell of storm, it must of woke every dragon within a hundred miles of Dragonview."

"I wonder if the bridge to Central City is still in tack," said Mary Ann drinking the last sip of her wine.

"I think," Miss Lydia got up. "We're experiencing the storm of the millennium. Would anyone like more wine?"

"Yes," everyone answered in unison.

"May I help you, Aunt Lydia," ask Sally following Miss Applewhite to the kitchen. Five minutes later, the two returned to the setting room, each one carrying a bottle of wine in each hand.

"Miles," Lydia turned to her nephew. "There's a corkscrew in the top draw of the cabinet on the right of the sink. Can you get it for us?"

"Yes, Aunt Lydia," he got up and went into the kitchen. Ten minutes later he returned carrying the corkscrew, "Does it matter which bottle I open first?"

"No," Lydia set back down to watched Sally and her nephew pour the wine. I must remember, she thought, to have Mr. Carter change my will and leave this house and land to Miles.

"May I go next," said General Douglas. "I'd like to ask my question while I'm sober enough to remember it."

"Very well, General," she smiled, "What would you like to know?"

"Mr. Dragonslayer thinks I came here because I thought bodies were buried in your private garden," he took a sip of wine. "The real reason I came here is because of a trooper when went missing about fifty years ago. His name was David Kingly and we know he came to Dragonview in search of dragon eggs. Until recently, it was thought that he was killed by an angry dragon protecting her clutch; however, letter from him which was apparently lost in the mail turned up a few months ago and it mentioned your Grandmother Selma Appplewhite."

"There is a manuscript titled David Kingly Lost in the Forest of Singing Trees you can have it, but I'm not sure how you could free him. As I said, Grandma didn't end her manuscripts with a way to free the prisoner."

"I'll take what I can get, Miss Lydia," he leaned back in his chair.

"May I go next," ask Captain Walton.

"Ask you question, Captain," Miss Applewhite smile, she was enjoying answering the questions. It was the first time in years, she wasn't afraid of what people would think.

"I have two questions," he smiled. "First, where is Retired Brigadier General Max Baldwin? Second, why did the clothes he was wearing when he lay down on the couch appear in his closet and his dress uniform disappear?"

"The name of the manuscript is Brigadier General Max Baldwin wonder the valleys of Mist. The answer to your second question, Captain Walton, is easy. I wasn't properly following the rules of using The Typewriter."

"What do you mean, Miss Lydia," Walton frowned.

"When using The Typewriter," she recited the rules Luther Applewhite had insisted she memorize. "Never name a person who is a complete stranger. Never name a person you haven't seen within the last hour. Always make sure the person is alone."

"I think one rule needs to be added, Miss Lydia."

"What's that, Captain Walton?"

"Always follow the rules," they both laughed.

"Miles," Captain Whitehead said, "could you go next?"

"Why, Brother-in-Law," Miles smiled, he knew his sister's husband was up to something, but he wasn't sure what.

"Because my request has more to do with following the order of the Supreme Military Council."

"I thought you were following Lux's orders."

"No, Miles," he laughed. "Brigadier General Lux is only a figure head the real power on the council is... uh... elsewhere."

"Aunt Lydia," Miles voice softened. "Did you cause K. C. Wainwright to disappear?"

"Yes, the title of the manuscript is K. C. Wainwright Lost in the Dark, if you want the manuscript you can have it, but after Captain Whitehead reveals what he wants."

"My request, Miss Lydia, or perhaps I should call you Aunt Lydia since I'm married to your niece," he smiled. "The Supreme Military Council ordered me to acquire the object, in this case The Typewriter, you were using to cause the disappearance and return it to the Council in Central City. How much will it cost the Council to acquire The Typewriter?"

"We, you and I, Captain Whitehead, have a bit of a problem," she frowned. "First, The Typewrite has to remain with the desk it sets on. Second, I can't sell The Typewriter for a profit or any type of hard currency or soft currency without causing harm to whoever buys it and to myself. Third, The Typewriter can't be used or handled by more then one person at a time."

She took a sip of wine, while she studied the expression on Captain Whitehead's face. "Don't think moving the damn thing will have an effect on its magic. I would gladly give it to someone appointed by the Supreme Military Council. The Council has to do only two thing. First, send the person here so I can explain the rules and show that person how to activate The Typewriter. Second, figure out how to move it and the desk it sets on safely out of my house without destroying my house or using magic to move The Typewriter."

"That's all!"

"Captain Whitehead, ever since Grandma Selma enchanted that typewriter it's been more of a curse then a blessing. I'm sure that the price of enchanting that damn thing cost my grandfather his life. I know its use has taken a lot out of me." She smiled, "if the Supreme Military Council can find someone who is willing to use the typewriter, then I will be happy to pass it to someone outside the Applewhite family."

"The problem, Miss Lydia,..."

"Please, Captain, call me Aunt Lydia."

"As I was say," he smiled at her. "The problem, Aunt Lydia, is not a lack of volunteers. The problem is finding someone young enough and with high enough security clearance to satisfy the requirements of the Supreme Council."

"Now that I've given, Captain Whitehead, something to think about," Lydia got up out of the chair. "I think it's time I gave everyone the documents they came for and perhaps a few extra."

She got up and went into the typewriter room, there she removed several documents from her section of the bookshelf and took them into the living room. She gave Miles the K. C. Wainwright document, placed Brigadier General Baldwin's gun on the table, and then handed the Baldwin document to Captain Walton. Then she went back into the room two more time each time removing documents from the bookshelves. Once she had documents from Luther Applewhite's side of the shelves lying of the coffee table or given to someone in the room. She did the same thing with documents by Selma Applewhite.

"The documents on the coffee table, I need to give out myself," she smile and poured herself some more apple wine.











© Copyright 2012 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/767172