*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/770042-Hey-96-words-over
Rated: 18+ · Book · Other · #1911337
Original stories/poems before word count and/or prompt adherement revisions.
#770042 added January 2, 2013 at 12:03pm
Restrictions: None
"Hey." 96 words over
"Hello?"

Just hearing his voice put a boulder in her throat. Everything she had so meticulously calculated in her had, all the lines of hurtful and honest truth she had prepared remained stuck in her subconscious.

"Meghan?" Damn caller ID.

"Hi."

"Hey! What are you up to? Everything ok?" Kind of, not really, how can you act so happy?! His nonchalance infuriated her even more.

"I'm fine...just wondering why I haven't heard from you."

"O yea, about that, life's just been really busy. You know about my sister and the house in Arkansas, plus this whole thing with Jane and I. Still can't seem to sell the house."

"Hmm, yea." Was all she was capable of saying. What did it matter? Not that it didn't matter but shouldn't she matter just as much to him? Did he or did he not want a real relationship with her? Just because they shared some blood and a name didn't make him her father. Yet he seemed to think that was enough. Just the fact that he existed apparently entitled him to be an ass-- distant.

Silence reigned.

"So, should we expect to see you soon?" Not unless you're willing to fork over some of that accounting cash to get me there. Course you could always sell either your or your newer daughters iPad, I'm sure that could help out a bit.

"I don't know, don't really have the funds right now."

"Ah yea, it's tough all around right now." Yea I bet.

The silence deafened.

"Well, don't want to hold you up, sure you're a very busy young lady." Nope, not really, but thanks for asking.

"Yea, sure."

"Always nice talking to you Meghan. I know I need to call more, I'm working on it." Sure, you've been working on it for nine years, assuming you weren't even trying the 17 before that.

"That's cool. Tell everyone I said 'Hi' "

"Will do, take care of yourself." She started to say 'You too,' but was cut off by the dial tone. She sighed wearily and gazed out at the sun, mocking her with its' cheerfulness. Well that didn't exactly go to plan. Ignoring the tears yearning to trail down her cheek she put in her ear buds. The blasting rock music encouraged her as she began to run away, figuratively and literally, to where she wasn't sure.

-------------------
Word count: 396
Submission: ""Hey."
© Copyright 2013 A*Monaing*Faith (UN: afaith at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
A*Monaing*Faith has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/770042-Hey-96-words-over