*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/770941-Chapter-17
Important!
*Trash* This item is in your Recycling Bin

Purging this item will permanently remove it from Writing.Com.

Change your mind?  Undelete this item.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Romance/Love · #1912061
Jennifer comes home to Georgia, divorced. The last thing she expects is loving again.
#770941 added January 8, 2013 at 9:33pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 17
“That was amazing.”

Jennifer lay in the crook of Jordan's arm, her breath coming in quick gasps. She felt Jordan's chest rumble under her head as he laughed.

“Thanks darlin'. I tried.”

She swatted him on the stomach. “Now I know why all my friends used to get so excited about sex. It's never been like that before.”

“So you keep telling me. Give me a few minutes to rest, and I'll give you a repeat performance.”

Jennifer bit her lip. They'd already made love three times since coming into her room. She didn't know it was possible for a man to get aroused so quickly. She'd never had sex more
than once a day with Rick.

“What are you thinking about?”

She clenched her eyes closed as she realized she'd wasted her thoughts on Rick, again. She needed to get the man out of her head if she hoped to move on with her life. It wasn't fair to Jordan that she kept comparing the two. They were nothing alike.

“I'm just wondering why you came back to Collinsville? Didn't you like the city?”

She felt him shrug. “It wasn't bad. It gave me the chance to become the man I am today, but it wasn't where my roots were. I wanted to have a family and I didn't want to expose my children and wife to the roughness of that type of life.”

“Why haven't you married yet?”

He kissed her head. “I didn't find the right girl.”

Jennifer tried not to read anything into his words, or in the way he tightened his hold on her body.

“How did you become a cop?”

“After Will killed my dad, he started dating my mom. He kept his nose in my business, which pissed me off at the time. He said he saw too much potential to allow me to waste it rotting in jail. He got through to me when he told me I was making my old man proud by following in his footsteps. About six months later, I tried out for football. Will said I needed an outlet for my anger. Turns out, I was pretty good. I got a football scholarship and could have went pro if I hadn't shattered my knee cap to pieces my junior year.”

He raised his leg up so Jennifer could see the jagged scars surrounding his left knee.

“I went through four surgeries and they told me I'd never be able to play again. I found myself at a cross-roads and didn't know what I wanted to do with my life. Then one day, I watched Will save a four year old girl from a hostage situation and it dawned on me. I could end my father's power over me by doing good. So I joined the police academy.”

Jennifer sighed. “I bet you were just thinking about all the ladies you could get in that uniform.”

She looked up at him and watched him waggle his eyebrows. “It gets you hot, huh?”

She rubbed against him. “Maybe a little. Though I like seeing you like this more.”

He kissed her on the nose. “That's good. Because I love seeing you naked too. I may kidnap you and move us to a nudist colony so we never have to wear clothes again.”

Jennifer shook her head. “That wouldn't do. I couldn't stand the thought of other women ogling you. You're all mine.”

He pretended to frown. “I'm sensing a bit of a jealous streak there. I hope it's not serious. I'd hate to have to arrest my own girlfriend for causing a ruckus with my fan club.”

Jennifer laughed as she rubbed her hand over his chest. She felt a rough spot and leaned up so she could get a better look. “Oh my God. Jordan, are those bullet holes?”

He eased up on his elbow so he could look down. “Yeah. It happened when I was a rookie. I was on patrol in a real bad area of Mobile and this fight broke out. Before we could do anything, they started shooting at each other. I got clipped by a nine millimeter bullet.” He shuddered as he got an odd look in his eye. Jennifer tensed, knowing what he was about to say wouldn't be good.

“That's the first time I ever shot someone. A fifteen year old boy.”

Jennifer gasped. “That's horrible.”

He nodded. “It's a good thing I was shaking so bad or I might have killed him. The bullet hit his neck. He pulled through and is now locked up for attempted murder.”

“You poor thing. That must have been horrible.”

“It happens.”

Jennifer circled the wound. “Why weren't you wearing a vest?”

“I was. The gang had armor piercing rounds. They're pretty common on the streets.”

Jennifer shuddered as she thought of the fact that he'd come so close to dying. She cringed. “No one out here shoots at you, right?”

Jordan laughed. “The only person who's even threatened me is Pa. I don't think I'll have to
worry about him, as long as I don't hurt you. I swear that will never happen.”

She shifted in discomfort. She wasn’t ready to let thoughts of the future intrude. “Do you have any other scars?”

He pointed to the opposite side of his body from where Jennifer lay. She stretched over him so she could get a look at the mark. A jagged white line extended from three inches below his nipple to the top of his hip. She traced the old injury.

“Tell me about it.”

“That happened about six years after I joined the force. Sergeant Jazquin and I were on patrol and got a call about a stolen vehicle. Turned out to be a twelve year old kid. I was patting him down while Jazquin searched the vehicle. He heard a noise from the trunk and went to check it out. Someone was inside and shot through the metal. The round killed him. I tried to call the incident in while rushing to handcuff the kid so I could check on Jazquin. The boy pulled a blade out of his pants and cut me. It shook me up pretty bad. I ended up taking off for a few weeks recovery. Mom was getting married back here so I came to visit.”

Jennifer smiled. “Then you never left.”

He answered her with a grin of his own. “Something like that. My step-dad was chief. He was ready to retire and offered me the job. I couldn't turn it down.”

“I'm glad.”

He kissed her, long and deep, before looking her in the eye. “I think I knew you'd come back home. I wanted to be here when that happened. You know, I came to the ranch, my first day here. I knew it was foolish, but I'd hoped you'd stayed around, waiting on me to come and marry you. I've never been able to get you out of my mind. No woman ever compared to the image I'd created of you as an adult, as my wife.”

Jennifer's breath caught. She'd done the same thing. “There were nights when I laid in bed after a fight with Rick, and I'd wish you would show up and save me from my nightmare.”

He groaned. “If only I had. We've wasted so many years. But now that you're in my life again, I won't let you go. Nothing could ever change the way I feel about you.”

Jennifer sighed in contentment. She wished she could be as optimistic as he sounded. But she knew better. If he ever discovered her secret, he'd run for the hills. His honor demanded it.

“It's getting late. I'm going to sneak into the bunk house so Chloe doesn't find out we spent the night together.”

Jennifer sat up straight, the sheet falling to her waist. “Oh no. She'll throw a fit if she knows. Jordan, she can't find out we're, uh-you know.”

“We're dating Jennifer. I wouldn't offend you or your family by expecting to be in your bed without a commitment of some sort. And I didn't tell you earlier, but Chloe gave me the green light for being with you. She seems to understand that you finally deserve to be happy. And that's what I plan to make you, from this day on. Both of you are my girls. And heaven help anyone who tries to destroy that.”

He gave her one last kiss before he got out of bed and began to dress. Jennifer slumped against the headboard, mindless of the cool wood against her bare flesh. She couldn't understand how her life had taken this drastic turn. Just when things were looking up, when she could have all that she wanted, the dark cloud of her past loomed over her, threatening everything. She had to find a way to tell Jordan before he learned for himself. The click of the door brought her out of her dreary thoughts. She glanced at the clock and realized it was almost time for the ranch to come to life. There was no way she'd be able to sleep now.

She settled for a long hot shower and went into the kitchen to start a pot of coffee. After pouring herself a cup, she walked onto the front porch, intending to think through her options. The door opened silently and she stepped into the cool morning air. The sun was just starting to rise, casting the ranch in soft light. A fog hung low, obscuring the view further than the porch. She turned towards the swing and her stomach dropped. Chloe lay in Brandon's lap, his hand around her stomach. He was naked from the waist up.

“Chloe Rachelle Guillani, what the hell are you doing?”

Chloe and Brandon jumped apart, their eyes droopy from sleep. They looked at each other and blushed a bright red. Chloe moved towards Jennifer, her hands held up in front of her. The blue shirt about her shoulders fell open. Jennifer's mouth opened in shock at the tattered remains of Chloe's favorite top. She narrowed her eyes and glared at Brandon.

“I never thought you'd do something like this Brandon. You need to leave, now.”

“Momma, no. This isn't what it looks like.”

Jennifer snapped her finger and pointed towards the house. “I don't want to hear it. Go to your room, now.”

“But Momma-”

Jennifer cut her off. “I said now.”

Chloe glanced at Brandon before shoving past Jennifer and running inside. The door rattled as she slammed it closed. Brandon stood up and shoved his hands into his pockets. He met Jennifer's eyes without flinching.

“I'm telling your parents about this Brandon. This is unacceptable.”

He nodded. “Yes ma'am. I understand.”

His calm acceptance irritated Jennifer. “Do you have anything to say about this?”

He cleared his throat. “I do. I'm sorry we fell asleep together. It wasn't intentional. I swear to you on my life that nothing happened. We stayed up talking and I held her while she cried.”

Jennifer frowned. She felt the first stirring of concern but tried to bat it away. Being upset was no reason to be alone with a teenage boy in the middle of the night. “What were you talking about?”

He shook his head. “I can't say ma'am. That's Chloe's story to tell. No disrespect intended, but you should give her a chance to talk before judging her. She had a rough night. What she needs now if her mother, not a disciplinary parent.”

Jennifer wanted to yell at the boy for daring to insinuate that Jennifer wouldn't give her daughter a chance to talk. However, she knew he was right. She'd tried before she went in but Jennifer wouldn't listen. In her gut, she knew Brandon was telling the truth. He had been acting as a friend, not trying to take advantage of her. She tamped down the anger roiling in her blood.

“I will go talk to Chloe and find out what happened. Regardless of what it was, this was not appropriate and it better not ever happen again. Do you understand me?”

He nodded. “Yes ma'am I do.”

Jennifer went back into the house, torn between anger and concern. She should be getting ready to punish Chloe, not dreading what her daughter was about to reveal happened last night. Ma was coming down the stairs, still wearing her robe. She looked confused as she brushed back strands of her gray hair.

“Oh dear. Did you and Chloe have another fight? Your grandpa and I shut down the ranch today so everyone could sleep in. But Chloe's sobs woke me up.”

Jennifer grimaced as she rubbed the back of her tense neck. “Sorry Ma. I probably should have talked to her outside before sending her in. But I was too mad at the moment.” She took a drink of her coffee, gagging at the bitter cold taste. “I found Chloe and Brandon asleep in the swing. Together. She was wearing his shirt and hers was torn up.”

Ma looked up the stairs before turning back to Jennifer. “Oh dear. Something must have happened after the party. They are both responsible teenagers who would never do anything stupid. Perhaps I should talk to her for you. She sounds pretty upset.”

Jennifer shook her head. “No, I need to do this myself.”

Ma nodded, a smile of approval flitting across her face. “I agree. I'll be in the kitchen if you need me.”

Jennifer brushed a kiss to her grandmother's wrinkled cheek before heading up the stairs.

“Jennifer?” Ma waited until Jennifer stopped and looked at her before continuing. “Don't overreact, okay? Let Chloe say her piece. I refuse to believe anything happened between them. This is all a misunderstanding.”

Jennifer gaped at the older woman. She thinks I'm overreacting? Am I? She trusted Chloe. If the girl said nothing had happened, it was the truth. She rushed up the steps, determined to get to the bottom of the situation. She ran up the stairs and knocked on Chloe's door. A mumbled 'go away' came through the wood. She tried the door. It was locked.

“Shit.”

She headed back down the stairs to get the skeleton key. She saw Brandon pacing on the front porch and changed direction. The boy would give her answers. She was just about to step outside when she saw Brandon go tense as he stood at the top of the steps. He didn't seem aware of her presence. Looking past him, she saw Jason sauntering towards the house. Her gut told her to stay put.

“What's up man. I heard you and that lil bitch getting railroaded by her mom. Thanks for covering my ass man.”

Jennifer watched Brandon's hands curl into fists. “I wasn't doing you any favor. It wasn't my place to tell Miss Jennifer what happened. I know you tried to rape Chloe. By this afternoon, so will everyone else. You won't ever be around my girl again, or you'll answer to me.”

Jason scoffed. “Sorry dude but I ain't afraid of you. You couldn't even whoop a girl's ass.”
Brandon smiled. “I don't hit girls Jason. I'm not a bastard like you. And I don't care if you're scared of me or not. Come near Chloe, and I'll make that broken nose she gave you feel like a scratch.”

Jennifer watched Jason turn red. “That bitch just got lucky. I could've taken that hoe if I'd wanted. You're stupid if you think you got a chance with her. She's playing a game, pretending like she doesn't want to be with me. She likes it rough.”

Brandon stomped across the porch and shoved Jason. He stumbled off the bottom step and started to fall down. He regained his footing as Brandon jumped down.

“You're pushing your luck. Don't even say her name. I swear on your life, if you mess with her again, I'll put you in the hospital.”

Jason swung on Brandon. He ducked and came up with a right hook that landed on Jason's left eye. The boy jumped back, then lunged at Brandon with a football tackle that took him to the ground. Jason pinned him and raised his hand, about to strike. Brandon raised his fist and made contact with Jason's lip. He pulled back and slammed a punch into the other boy's sternum. He rolled off Brandon and lay on the ground. Jennifer cringed, waiting for Brandon to attack again. He took five steps back and dusted his body off.

“I took it easy this time. You won't be so lucky if it happens again.” He turned around.

Jennifer stepped out of the door. Brandon's eyes widened.

“Miss Matthews, how long have you been there?”

Jennifer raised an eyebrow at his guilty tone. “I heard everything. Brandon, why didn't you try and clear your name with the truth instead of letting me think so bad of you?”

He shrugged. “I took the blame for what did happen. We did sleep together in the swing but that's all that happened. I swear.”

Jennifer nodded. “How about you tell me what happened?”

Brandon stepped onto the porch and leaned against the column. His throat bobbed as he swallowed. “I'll tell you some of it but the rest you have to talk to Chloe about.”

“That sounds fair.”

“Miss Jennifer, first, I want to apologize. I thought of going to check on Chloe, but I thought she would get mad. I didn't know she didn't want to be alone with Jason. If I'd been there, nothing would have happened. I would have killed him before I let him do anything to her.”

“I believe you. But it's not your fault. I don't think it's anyone's fault but Jason's.”

He sighed in relief. He started telling Jennifer how he stayed up to wait on Chloe to get back and how the horse came home, without her. Jennifer gasped as she learned that Chloe rode home on Spirit. He explained how Chloe hadn't wanted to be alone after she got back so they sat in the swing talking.

“She was wearing my shirt because hers was torn up. I should have went to the bunk house to get another one, but she was so afraid of being alone, I decided it could wait. We talked until the sun came up and I guess we both fell asleep. I want you to know, I chose to sit on the swing so that if anyone caught us together, they'd know we weren't trying to do anything.”

Jennifer grimaced. He was right. If the teenagers were trying to have sex, they would have chosen a private location where they wouldn't have been interrupted.

“Brandon, I'm sorry I misread the situation. You can't imagine the thoughts rushing through my head when I saw my fourteen year old daughter asleep with a half naked boy.”

He tried to smile. “Actually I could. I would have thought the worse too.”

“I should have realized that I know my daughter better than that. And I don't think you'd be doing anything you weren't supposed to either. I hope I can convince both of you to forgive me.”

Brandon stood up straight. “There's nothing to forgive on my part ma'am. I don't blame you for thinking what you did. I want you to know that I like Chloe, and I respect her. I would never do anything to hurt her or get her into trouble.”

“That's good to hear. So, are you planning to date her?”

He shifted his booted feet. “Well, I would like to, but I understand that she's only fourteen and is too young to be going on dates. But I would like your permission to take her out, with a chaperone, and to visit with her when I'm not working.”

Jennifer smiled. “I can approve of that. You're a good boy Brandon. I trust you not to take advantage of her.”

He seemed relieved. His shoulders straightened. “If you'll excuse me ma'am, I need to go explain what happened to my parents.”

Jennifer watched him walk to the bunkhouse before she went inside. She refused to let Chloe turn her away this time. She knocked on her door again and waited. When Chloe didn't come, she knocked harder.

“I won't go away until we talk.”

She heard shuffling coming inside the room and then the door cracked open. Jennifer pushed it and walked inside. Chloe stood on her balcony, her favorite blue terrycloth robe wrapped around her. She wore a towel over her head and her face was flushed from a recent shower. Jennifer joined her outside and took a seat in one of the wicker chairs. She looked closer and saw a cut along her temple, disappearing into her hairline. She bit her lip against the outrage.

“Chloe, I want to apologize. I know some of what happened last night. Do you want to talk about it?”

Her daughter's eyes widened with surprise. “Brandon told you? He promised me he wouldn't. He was going to come over later so he could be with me when I explained everything.”

Jennifer saw the betrayal flickering in Chloe's eyes. “No, he didn't tell me a thing, besides his side of the story. Jason told on himself. I ease-dropped.”

Chloe sobbed. “Momma, I'm so sorry. Please don't be mad at me.”

Jennifer held out her arms and Chloe ran into them. Jennifer situated them into a comfortable position in the chair and tossed away the towel that fell from Chloe's head. She began to stroke the wet strands of hair.

“It's okay baby. I never should have jumped to such horrible conclusions. Can you forgive me?”

Chloe nodded as she sobbed. “I don't blame you. But it still hurt that you'd think I'd do something so inappropriate. We really were just sleeping Momma. Brandon's a gentleman.”

Jennifer smiled. “That I believe. I doubt he'd beat up just any boy.”

Chloe jerked away and stared at Jennifer. “He did what?”

“Jason was running his mouth about you. Brandon warned him to stay away or he'd do more than break his nose, which I heard you did. Is that true?”

She nodded. “Yeah. And I kicked him in the nuts. I know it wasn't right but I refused to be a victim. He deserved what he got.”

“I agree. He's going to look pretty rough after tumbling with the two of you.”

Chloe took a deep breath. “Brandon told me he wants to be my boyfriend.”

“I know. We talked. You're still too young to date, even though I know Brandon's a good boy. But I won't object to you doing things together, if you have an adult around.”

“What about if we want to go to the diner for something to eat?”

Jennifer thought about it for a moment. Roxanne and Kay were there to keep an eye on things. “I'll agree to that.”

Chloe threw her arms around Jennifer and squeezed. “Thanks Momma. You're the best.”

Jennifer smiled. “We'll see how you feel about that later. I need to talk to you about something serious.”

“He didn't do anything to me, besides a few bruises.”

Jennifer brushed her daughter's hair back to study the mark on her head. “That doesn't look too bad. What happened here?”

“He hit me.”

Jennifer shook her head. “He's lucky I don't go after him for blood. What other bruises do you have?”

Chloe pulled off her robe and rolled up her sleeves. Purple marks, the shape of fingerprints, marred the pale flesh. Jennifer sucked in her breath.

“Looks like we're a matching set.”

She rolled up her own sleeves, displaying the marks made by Rick.

“Dad-I mean Rick did that?”

“Yeah but it doesn't matter. He's in the past. Now, I wasn't going to bring up what happened last night. I have something else to discuss.”

Chloe looked at her with open curiosity. “Okay. Shoot.”

“I want to know how you feel about me dating Jordan.”

Chloe stood up and walked towards the edge of the balcony. She leaned against the rail without answering. Jennifer sighed. Without Chloe's acceptance, there could be no future between her and Jordan. Bribe her. She can't date if you can't. Jennifer shook her head. She couldn't believe she'd even think of being so low. She would not bargain her daughter's happiness for her own. Chloe turned back around.

“I'd like to have stipulations.”

I'm an adult. You don't get to put rules on me. “We will see. Let me hear them first.”

“I'm not ready for us to move in with him.”

“Neither am I. I don't even know if the relationship will go that far.”

Chloe held up two fingers. “I'm not ready to know about your sex life.”

Jennifer opened her mouth to deny it, but Chloe waved a hand at her. “You're a grown woman Mom. I've read enough romance novels to know you're going to do that. I just don't want to ever see it, or hear about it.”

“Okay. Anything else?”

“One more thing. I don't want to be pushed to the side for him. I refuse to let you pawn me off so you can be with him.”

Jennifer stood up and grabbed her daughter's hands. “Chloe, you have always been the most important thing to me. That will never change. Just because I have a new man in my life does not mean I want you out of it. I'd like for you to get to know Jordan, so that we might do things together.”

“He seems like a great guy. I'll give him a shot.”

“You have no idea how great.” Jennifer laughed. “I just realized something. Both you and I have met our men thanks to Spirit coming to our rescue.”

Chloe raised an eyebrow. “How do you figure that?”

“Well Spirit brought you home last night and Brandon helped you off, right?”

Chloe nodded. Jennifer took Chloe's hand and pulled her back to the chair. “Let me tell you about the first time I met Jordan.”

“We'd been here about three months. I went riding one day and got off my horse so I could splash water on my face from the creek. He ran off, leaving me stranded. I heard something on the other side of the water and looked up to see Spirit. I slid off the log I was sitting on and caught my ankle in a root under the water. Twisted my ankle. Spirit showed me a spot on the creek where I could climb so I could get on his back.”

Chloe gasped. “He did the same thing with me.”

Jennifer laughed. “He brought me home while I just sat there. When I got back to the ranch, Jordan was standing in the driveway. He wouldn't stop staring at me. When he realized I couldn't get down, he rushed to help me and brought me inside. We were together every day after that. I had this huge crush on him, but I don't think he knew it. He moved away before I got a chance to do anything about it.”

Chloe patted Jennifer's hand. “Well it looks like you get a second chance. I hope it works out for you.”

Jennifer kissed her daughter on the forehead. “I'm a bit nervous. It's been years since I've even been on a date.”

“Would you feel better if me and Brandon went with you?”

She laughed. “A double date with my daughter. That's a bit different. I think I'm gonna stick with the same rules I gave you. Visiting with him around people first.”

“That works, but it'll be a bit hard to have sex in front of all your family.”

Jennifer's mouth fell open. “Chloe Rachelle, I want you to eliminate that word from your vocabulary and strike the idea from your thoughts.”

Chloe shrugged. “Sorry. Don't worry Mom. I haven't hit the hormonal surge where it's all I think about. I know enough about it and don't see the appeal. There's better things I can do with my time.”

I thought the same thing until last night.

“You ready for breakfast?”

She shook her head. “I think I'm going to lay down for a bit. I'm not up to seeing anyone right now.”

Jennifer nodded. “Okay baby. What do you think of pressing charges against Jason?”

“No. Please no. I don't want everyone in town knowing what happened. I'd like to keep it between us.” Chloe smiled then changed the subject. “Do you think I could go riding again later? Maybe I'll enjoy it more this time and I'd really like another chance to ride Spirit.”

Jennifer nodded. “That's fine. But you have to take your cell phone. And I'd like you to
check in every once in a while.” Jennifer bit her lip and hastened to add, “Not that I don't trust you. I just want to make sure nothing else happens.”

Chloe patted Jennifer's hand. “I know. And I don't mind. It'll make me feel safer, knowing you'll be able to send Jordan to help me if I get into trouble last night.” She took a deep breath. “You know, while all that was happening, I kept wishing he'd ride to my rescue. You would think I'd be wanting my dad but for some reason, my mind turned to him instead.”

Jennifer felt her breath catch. Chloe might not realize the significance of that, but she did.

“I'm certain if he knew what was happening, no one would have been able to keep him away. He actually offered to ride out and check on you because he got a bit worried when he heard Jason might be tagging along. But I refused to think that you would let that boy near you. Maybe if I had let him go, things wouldn't have happened the way they did.”

Chloe knelt down in front of Jennifer and grabbed her hands. “Momma, that wasn't your fault. You couldn't have known. I didn't either. It's my fault if it's anyone's. I should have taken my phone. Don't beat yourself up and don't be mad at Jordan.”

Jennifer blinked away the tears. She grabbed her daughter and hugged her tight. “You are such a smart girl. I'm so lucky to have you as a daughter.”

Chloe squeezed her back. “And I'm lucky to have you as a mother. And everyone else in my life too. I can never thank you enough for making me move here. It might have been the best thing to ever happen to me.”
© Copyright 2013 happy mommy (UN: yungmomx3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
happy mommy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/770941-Chapter-17