*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/771038-Chapter-33
Important!
*Trash* This item is in your Recycling Bin

Purging this item will permanently remove it from Writing.Com.

Change your mind?  Undelete this item.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Romance/Love · #1912061
Jennifer comes home to Georgia, divorced. The last thing she expects is loving again.
#771038 added January 9, 2013 at 1:52pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 33
Jennifer stumbled again as she tried to navigate the woods in flip flops and a pair of shorts. Her legs burned from various cuts by thorn vines and her toe throbbed from when she'd kicked a large stump. Dirt covered her knees and hands from her multiple falls. Jean just kept pushing her along. She sighed with relief as she spotted a clearing ahead. She heard the rush of the falling water. Her plan was up. She had no doubt Jean would put a bullet in her when he realized his money wasn't there. If only there was a way for her to be able to tell everyone she loved them once more.

She hated that her life would end without having the chance to patch things up with Jordan. Maybe it would be better this way. He would mourn her but it would be easier for him to move on if they weren't together. If the guilt didn't destroy him. She had no doubt he would blame himself for this. He saw it as his job to stop criminals, yet Jean had eluded him all this time.

“Bout time we got here.”

Jennifer shrugged. “I told you it was a long walk.”

He used his gun to point at a rock near the water's edge. “Sit down. I need to rest for a minute.”

Jennifer sat where he indicated and turned towards the waterfall. The serene beauty of the spot failed to calm her tattered nerves. She heard a noise from the ledge behind her. Her heart raced as she envisioned Jordan coming to her rescue. She scanned the cliff above but didn't see anything. Her spirits fell. It was probably a deer or some other animal. A flash of white caught her eye just as she was about to turn away. Spirit appeared on the ledge and started walking down.

“Who's horse is that?”

Jennifer turned to Jean, and gasped. He held the pistol aimed at Spirit. She jumped up and put herself in his aim. “He's a wild horse. He roams our land.”

Jean's face furrowed. “I don't believe you.”

Jennifer turned and saw Spirit had made it to the ground. He stood forty feet away, pawing the ground. He snorted. “Try and pet him. You'll see.”

“Forget it. Get in the water.”

Jennifer kicked off her shoes and stepped into the water. She heard a splash behind her. She turned to see Jean coming up to her. Her eyes flicked to the gun he held above his head. She wondered how he planned to swim with it in his hand. If he put it down, she might have a chance to escape. He smirked and pulled a bag out of his pants. He slipped the gun inside and wrapped it up tight.

He bounced the bag. “It's waterproof. So don't get any ideas.”

She felt her shoulders slump. She would be dead within the next ten minutes. She dove underwater and swam to the waterfall. She surfaced behind it and tread water while she waited on her captor to join her. The seconds seemed to tic by at a snail's pace. She began to wonder if something had kept Jean from following her. She glanced at the ledge. Maybe if she could get inside, she could hide in the wall, where Chloe had found that money. Water splashed into her face. She swiped at her eyes to clear her vision. Jean thrashed through the waterfall, his face red and eyes bloodshot. He panted for breath.

“Get up there.”

Jennifer sighed as she hoisted herself onto the ledge and moved towards the back so Jean could join her. She heard plastic rustling before she felt the barrel of the gun press into her back.

“Move it.”

She eased into the cave at a slow pace, trying to give her eyes time to adjust to the dim interior. A beam of light flickered behind her. She craned her neck to see Jean holding a small flashlight. He shone it on every wall, pausing when he spotted the hole at the back of the cavern.

“Sit down. You move and I'll shoot you.”

Jennifer dropped to the edge of the spring. As Jean passed her, she shot a quick glance at the entrance. Maybe she could escape while he searched the wall. Her feet twitched as she prepared to stand.

“Don't even think about it girl.”

Jean's harsh voice echoed through the small cave. Chills racked her body. She bit her lip as she counted the seconds before Jean realized the truth. With a scream, he whirled towards her. The gun bobbed as his hand started to shake.

“It's not here. What did you do with it you stupid bitch.”

Jennifer shook her head. “It was never here. I don't know what my dad did with it.”

He stalked towards her. “Don't lie to me. You took my money.”

Jennifer saw him raise his hand. She didn't have time to move as he brought the butt of the gun down on her skull. Pain radiated through her. She saw spots flash behind her eyes. She went limp as she slid into the warm water. She struggled to stay afloat but her body refused to listen to her brain. Her lungs burned for air. Her mind flashed to Chloe before turning to Jordan. He would never know what happened to her. He would never know how much she loved him. Her body overrode her attempts to hold her breath. Her mouth dropped open and she tried to suck in a breath. Water filled her lungs and everything went black.
© Copyright 2013 happy mommy (UN: yungmomx3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
happy mommy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/771038-Chapter-33