*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/771040-Chapter-34
Important!
*Trash* This item is in your Recycling Bin

Purging this item will permanently remove it from Writing.Com.

Change your mind?  Undelete this item.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Romance/Love · #1912061
Jennifer comes home to Georgia, divorced. The last thing she expects is loving again.
#771040 added January 9, 2013 at 1:57pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 34
Jordan eased against the ledge, listening for sounds inside the cave. He hadn't heard gun shots so there was a chance Jennifer was still alive. If they're even here. He shook the thought away. He had to find her. He knew she was running out of time. Jean was desperate. This was his last chance to get his money and buy his freedom. If he thought Jennifer was standing in his way, he'd get rid of her. He hoisted himself onto the rock and lay flat. A beam of light flashed inside the cavern. He heard Jean yelling. Jennifer responded, making his heart leap.

He eased to his feet and hugged the wall as he crept to the back. Jean had his back to him, his head stuck into the wall. Jordan pulled his gun and aimed.

“Turn around slow and put your hands up.”

Jean tensed. He whirled around, a gun raised in front of him. He smirked at Jordan.

“Afternoon Officer.”

“It's Chief. Where's Jennifer?”

Jean laughed. “I'm afraid she didn't make it.”

Jordan shook his head. “I just heard her talking.”

“Yeah. She nags too much. I guess I did you a favor by making sure you don't have to put to put up with her anymore.”

Jordan's hands began to shake. He took a deep breath and forced his anger down. “Toss the gun away. Now Jean.”

The man raised an eyebrow. “Or what?”

Jordan flicked the safety off. “I'll shoot you.”

Jean shook his head. “I'm willing to bet that I'm a faster shooter than you.”

Gunshots echoed in the room. Jean's eyes widened as he looked down at the hole in his chest. He dropped to his knees, blood gurgling out of his mouth. He fell forward, his head hitting the rocks. Jordan watched him, making sure he was dead. A flash of color drew his attention to the water. He moved closer, surprised when he felt a twinge in his ribs. He pressed a hand over the spot and looked down. Blood oozed from between his fingers.

“Shit. The bastard got me.”

A chill swept over him as the water rippled. He leaned down and touched the warm liquid. As he pulled his hand up, something snagged his fingers. He tugged.

“Oh God no.”

Ignoring the pain searing his side, he jumped into the water and shoved his hands beneath the surface. He struggled to pull Jennifer's limp body to the rocks. Her ashen face caused his heart to stop. He put his head to her chest. Silence met his ear.

“Baby, don't do this. You can't leave me.”

He started chest compressions while praying that he found her in time. His hands shook as he struggled not to break the rhythm that might bring Jennifer back to him. Just when he thought he'd lost her, she began to cough. Water hit his face. He turned her on her side, rubbing her back as she emptied her lungs.

“What happened?”

Jordan breathed a sigh of relief. Her voice sounded hoarse but at least she could talk. He pulled her into his arms and kissed her head.

“I thought I'd lost you.”

Jennifer's eyes grew round. “Oh God. Jean. Where is he? We have to get away.”

He rubbed her head with his cheek. “It's okay baby. It's all over. He's dead.”

She collapsed against him. Her eyes drifted closed. Jordan roused her every few minutes to be sure she was still coherent. The pain in his side started to radiate through his body. He groaned when Jennifer's elbow hit the wound.

“What's wrong?”

He shook his head. Fire erupted through him, preventing the ability to speak. Jennifer pulled away and looked down.

“Oh my God. You've been shot. We have to get you to a hospital.”

Jordan sucked in a deep breath. “I'm fine. We'll get there after you get some rest.”

Jennifer jumped to her feet and grabbed his hand. “Screw that. We're going now. I'm fine. Can you walk? I don't think I can carry you.”

Jordan struggled to his feet. “Yeah, I can manage. This isn't my first bullet wound.”

Jennifer grabbed him as the room began to spin. He put his weight on her until everything felt stable again.

“Maybe you should stay here until I go get help.”

Jordan shook his head. “No, it'll be okay. Just help me get out of here.”

He saw Jennifer bite her lip. “What is it?”

She blinked away tears before looking up at him. “You'll have to swim. I don't think you can.”

Jordan shook his head. “You'd be surprised what I can manage. Let's go. This damn thing's
starting to hurt pretty bad.”

He let Jennifer lead him to the edge of the cliff. She sat down on the ledge and gestured for him to do the same thing. “I'm getting into the water first. Then I want you to slide down easy. No macho man stuff.”

Jordan huffed. “You're treating me like an invalid.”

Jennifer turned to him as she started to slide off the ledge. “I'm sorry. I just don't want you hurting yourself anymore.”

He laughed. “It was a joke Jennifer. I'm glad you want to take care of me.”

She gave him a shaky smile before dropping off the edge. He heard a splash and waited. His heart contracted when she didn't speak right away.

“Jennifer?”

Another splash answered him. He leaned over and saw her head pop through the waterfall as she swam back to the cliff. “Sorry, I wanted to make sure it was safe to come out. Be careful coming down.”

Jordan imitated Jennifer's descent into the water. Her arms wrapped around his chest as soon as his head went beneath the surface. He kicked his feet and tried to use his arms to bring him above water.

Jennifer brushed hair from his eyes. “At least we got that part out of the way. Let's see if we can get you to the bank. Let me know if you get tired and we'll stop for a minute.”

Jordan rolled his eyes. “I told you I'm fine. Come on.”

He started swimming, ignoring the pain that came with every stroke. Jennifer stayed by his side, trying to stop him multiple times. He kept up his punishing pace until his feet touched bottom. He forced his legs to carry him to the sand, where he collapsed. His lungs ached from the exertion and the wound in his side bled harder. Jennifer leaned over him, her hair dripping water into his face.

“Jordan, are you okay?”

He scrubbed at his face. “I would be if your hair quit peeing on me.”

She laughed as she leaned back. “How do you feel?”

Jordan peeked at her through one eye. “Like I've been shot. You?”

She shrugged. “Oh you know, like a crazy man knocked me around then drowned me. I'll live, thanks to you.”

Jordan wanted to reply but darkness began to creep into the corners of his vision. He felt consciousness slipping away. He fought against it. He needed to tell Jennifer how sorry he was for being a stubborn fool. He wanted her to know he loved her.
© Copyright 2013 happy mommy (UN: yungmomx3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
happy mommy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/771040-Chapter-34