*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/773635-Counting-the-cost
Rated: 18+ · Book · Opinion · #1916946
A collection of thoughts and comments on various topics.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#773635 added February 2, 2013 at 3:04pm
Restrictions: None
Counting the cost
While heading to the bus stop yesterday, a couple of scripture-based thoughts came to mind: 'count the cost' and "All scripture is inspired by God and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness..." [see Luke 14:28-29 and 2 Tim. 3:16-17 for the full texts].  So, what does 'count the cost' mean?  To what does it apply?

With the verse from 2nd Timothy in mind, I realized that it can apply to everything we do, whether it's something we do that everyone can see, something that no one but us sees, or something we only think in the privacy of our own mind.  In the last two cases, of course, you're never really alone in your actions or thoughts; God is right there with you.

The cost of doing anything can be thought of as the consequences flowing from an action or thought, and they don't have to be bad.  Ideally, you experience more good than bad consequences; unfortunately, we don't always make good choices and, as a result, we're all more than familiar with bad consequences.  They run the gamut from serious injury or death, to incarceration or other public humiliation, or to ruined relationships.  For seemingly private actions or thoughts, the consequences are most likely internal.  You don't feel good about the situation.  It gnaws at you, and you have no peace.  So, in public or in private, when we don't take the possible - even likely - consequences into account, we fail to count the cost.

Pretty heavy for a first-time blog entry, and it's not completely fleshed-out, but it's still something to think about.

© Copyright 2013 Writer_Mike (UN: mikewrites at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writer_Mike has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/773635-Counting-the-cost