*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/776510-Aunt-Fanny-revised
Rated: E · Book · Biographical · #1921742
One spot to keep short stories about places, people, events, and pets I remember.
#776510 added May 27, 2014 at 9:18am
Restrictions: None
Aunt Fanny (revised)
Aunt Fanny


I looked upwards at the steeply pitched knotty pine ceiling and because my husband, Jim, was a builder, I thought of the danger faced by the workers during its construction.

The organist played “To God Be the Glory” as I checked out my nearest unfamiliar neighbors.

At rigid attention directly in front of me sat an older lady with perfectly-styled gray curls and wearing an impeccable baby blue suit. Surprisingly, I saw white gloves when she lifted her hymnal. Beside her sat an older gentleman I surmised to be her husband. His head leaned forward slightly, and I thought he might be dozing.

The music stopped and Pastor Scarlett rose to position himself behind the lectern. Even in preacher attire he looked as friendly as when he knocked on our door earlier in the week and invited us to church. It was 1978, and we had moved to Florida to be near Jim’s brother. Howard and Betty sat beside us on the slippery pew. They were old church members and made us feel almost comfortable.

The hour long service passed quickly and soon we found ourselves in the foyer surrounded by friendly, inquisitive faces. The lady with the gray curls and blue suit was the first to approach me. She appeared to be in her sixties, was slender like her husband, and towered over my five feet two inches. From sitting behind her in the pew I thought her too dignified-looking to be approachable, but her kind face, words of welcome, and warm back pats overcame my natural timidity.

“I see you’ve met Aunt Fanny.” Pastor Scarlett extended a warm hand and seemed genuinely happy we had responded to his invitation. “She’s our go-to person whenever we need something done. And if you come to our church suppers, her lemon pound cake and homemade peach ice cream will make you wonder how she stays so trim.” He winked and moved on to greet others.

That first day in a new church many in the congregation encouraged us to come back and soon we became regulars. I spoke often with Aunt Fanny and found she really was always helping out in some way even doing the family ironing for Pastor Scarlett and his wife, Bonnie, who took care of all the church music.

It wasn't long before I discovered through chatting with other parishioners how Aunt Fanny kept herself in such good shape. She walked. Everyday. And as chance would have it, she always passed by the front of our development. So after a few weeks of getting friendly, it was natural for me to mention how I would enjoy walking with her sometime. She was delighted to hear that, and we arranged to meet up out front the next morning at nine.

That evening I confided to Jim my big plans for the next day.

"You're going walking with Aunt Fanny?" He had this astonished look on his face and a twinkle in his eye that soon metamorphosed into a very smirky, all-knowing grin.

"What? You think I can't keep up with a woman twice my age? I'm no slouch, you know. I walk sometimes, too."

"I didn't say a thing. Go. Have fun.”

Well, I'd show him a thing or two. That night I laid out my almost brand new jogging suit and my very brand new Nikes. I heard a niggling little voice of self doubt about my questionable athletic ability, but I ignored it. After all, Aunt Fanny was in her late sixties, sixty-nine I heard someone say, and she certainly was not Wonder Woman!

Later that evening I measured our route in the car. It was one quarter mile to the front and two and one quarter miles to our destination, a card shop where Aunt Fanny wanted to buy a variety of greeting cards. That would make my round trip a total of five miles. I had never actually walked five miles, but it didn't seem that far in the car.

The next morning I stepped outside into an unusually warm November day. Concerned that my heavy jogging clothes might be inappropriate for the temperature, I was too proud of my outfit to consider changing. I did a couple of stretches and took off at a slight jog toward the front of the development.

When I reached the main road, I could see Aunt Fanny coming around the bend in the sidewalk. As she neared me, I gave her a big smile and prepared to chat about my morning. She breezed right past me, not missing a beat. With the smile frozen on my face, I ran to catch up. I noticed her flowing cotton shirt and comfortable-looking slacks. An old Braves baseball cap shaded her face and a water bottle bounced on her hip.

"Wow, you must be in a hurry," I said, trying to catch my breath.

"Just my normal pace. Do you need me to slow down, Honey?"

"Oh no, I'm fine." What could I say? She was twice my age.

For every step she took, I had to take one and a half or two to keep up. Supposedly, Florida is a flat state. That is not true. Several creeks run through our town, and each one has a valley and then a hill. It seemed like all the creeks converged on our route. And going down is no easier than going up. I began to feel some burning pain on the backs of my heels inside those new Nikes, but there was no way I was going to mention it. Aunt Fanny took her walking seriously, and luckily for me, did not believe in much chitchat. Whenever she did ask me something, I tried to answer in as few syllables as possible to hide my breathless condition.

When we reached the card shop, I thought now we would take a break, and I could recoup some. Aunt Fanny went through that store like a bat out of you know where.

"Have to keep moving, keep our blood flowing for our walk to do the most good." Those words were thrown back at me as she headed toward the checkout.

The cashier looked at me a little funny as I passed through, "Are you okay?"

I nodded. Aunt Fanny was already out the door and didn't hear.

The walk back was no easier than the first half had been, plus my heels were really stinging now, but being stubborn, I would not give in to my pain. Inside my warm jogging suit I could feel the sweat trickling down my back. I practiced some slow deep breathing I had learned from yoga. Finally I reached the entrance to my development, still alive, with Aunt Fanny none the wiser. I waved goodbye as she continued walking another mile to her home.

I slowed down but did not stop because I knew if I did, I probably would not be able to get started again. The first order of business when I got home was to remove those brand new Nikes and peel off my socks. Thin strips of skin hung from the backs of my heels. Some stuck to the socks and the separation brought tears to my eyes.

Resting, I thought about what had happened and what a ninny I had been to think that age alone could slow a person down. Granted, Aunt Fanny may not have been the normal sixty-nine year old, but who knows, maybe she was. I would not be making those kinds of assumptions again. From that day on, to me, she was Wonder Woman!

Even after my rough beginning, Aunt Fanny and I did many things together We picked blueberries, went in search of pecans, visited the Christmas House in Brooksville, and enjoyed lots of her good cooking together.

Fanny never mentioned whether she was aware of my walking fiasco. I am sure she was, but that was just her way of always being positive.

Sadly, a few years ago she passed away at the age of 94. She was a church member for 62 of those years, visiting the sick, entertaining guests, writing cards, doing good deeds for needy families, and offering encouragement to everyone with whom she came into contact. She loved growing roses and camellias and shared many bouquets. Even today I have a kitty she crocheted held by a magnet to my fridge. In its mouth it holds a notepad I use for my grocery list. It helps keep Aunt Fanny in my memory, and she will always be in my heart.
© Copyright 2014 Happy Earth Day 2024! (UN: biddle.connie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Happy Earth Day 2024! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/776510-Aunt-Fanny-revised