*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/778202-Stepping-Up
Rated: 18+ · Book · Other · #1918671
O'siyo Oginalii Tsilugi - Hello friends - Welcome - to My first blog. A place to share.
#778202 added March 21, 2013 at 2:18pm
Restrictions: None
Stepping Up
Stepping Up}

When I was going to college, preparing for my nursing career, one of my prerequisites was Public Speaking. UGH! What the hell did I need that for? I certainly wasn't going to get up and give a speech in front of a bunch of sick patients as I gave them their meds and other care. that class I'll never use - so I thought.

I was never so scared in all my life. Not only did we have free reign of topics, and have to give our speech in front of the class, but, it was video taped as well. I hated it, though I did quite well in the class.

The first time, for me, I was scared spitless, My topic - Child Molestation - I hung on to myself about as tight I could, my knees were shaking so bad I could feel my pants hitting against my legs.
I thought this was the stupidest idea for a prereq. I lived.

Well, I was right in the respect of giving speeches in front of patients, however, the day came when I did need the experience that I had gained. I have blogged on this before so I will keep it short - Back in the 70's, Proposition 13 came up. The state wanted to cut school buses. We lived in a mobile home park on Hwy 101 (very dangerous for kids) frequented multiple times a day by produce trucks. There was no crossing guard or walk and the school was a mile away.

I was carrying 12 units at night and had 4 kids at home. Being the fighter that I let surface now and again, I decided this was unacceptable and organized a subtle protest.

I formed a carpool- so that not kid walked to school, organized a petition and collected signatures, did my homework to the number of kids in the park and to which school they attended (elementary, Jr. High, High) and enlisted the help of my public speaking teacher.

I wrote my speech, he critiqued it. I made a copy for each school board member and went up in front of the school board and presented it. My speech made the papers and I got the buses.

I think the school was glad and celebrated when we eventually came back to Bakersfield.

© Copyright 2013 Chrys O'Shea (UN: kb6vas at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Chrys O'Shea has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/778202-Stepping-Up