*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/779926-The-hunt-for-a-personal-Voice
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1925678
Musings and ramblings on writing (so far) and anything else...
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#779926 added March 2, 2015 at 4:23pm
Restrictions: None
The hunt for a personal Voice.
The revision process exhausts my knowledge of language and "proper style." I go over each piece and find rules I've broken, fixing problems. Eventually, I make several more versions, that follow all the rules, at least the ones I know. I keep rewriting long after I've answered all the dictates, so why should I prefer the tenth over the ninth?

That's where voice belongs, between the rules. I've only rarely noticed this, and it's possible that I am working on flashes of intuited principles rather than personal essence, but it gives me some satisfaction.

To develop style, first learn how to follow 'the rules.' Understand that the rules represent fashion — both the opposite and the ally of what we seek — hold to your intentions. Once you find multiple ways to do that, and find yourself choosing between ideal options, only your 'inborn' style can answer your questions. I imagine you won't be able to describe it; if you could quantify essence, it would be something less. At best it would be "a style" rather than unique. The difference will be subtle, but it gradually leaves an impression on your readers. As pages mount, your influence will become palpable. Perhaps one day writers will emulate you in their path to mastery.
© Copyright 2015 Joto-Kai (UN: jotokai at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joto-Kai has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/779926-The-hunt-for-a-personal-Voice