*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/780247-Day-27-Prompt-Two---That-National-Artist
by Jordi
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1924437
Short stories from images
#780247 added April 10, 2013 at 6:33pm
Restrictions: None
Day 27 Prompt Two - That National Artist.
         “Jen, I have already arranged my painting holiday. I don’t need to look at these brochures.” Kate stared in exasperation at her best friend as she placed a stack of holiday brochures on the counter.
         “You call spending two weeks at a hotel near Windsor Safari Park a painting holiday?” Jen looked at her friend across the counter top.
         “Yes. I’m painting wild animals so where else would I go?” The kettle boiled, allowing Kate a break in the debate that had been on-going ever since Jen had called round to see her.
         “On an actual safari?”
         “Too expensive, unless the gallery is paying?” She cast a hopeful look to her friend as she poured them both a cup of tea.
         “Not these prices we’re not. However…” Jen turned to dig into her large leather shoulder bag. “I have a friend who has gone into the holiday business. He sent me a leaflet about what he offers and the cost. I don’t mind stumping up half if you want to…?” She let her voice trail off as she passed the booklet to Kate.
         Kate glared at her friend but Jen was undaunted and just nudged the booklet in her direction. “Sunset Holidays,” she read. “Small, friendly holiday location offering wonderful views of the African plains and comfortable accommodation at reasonable prices.”
         “Sounds lovely, doesn’t it?” A wide smile lit up Jen’s face as she watched Kate.
         “If it’s that lovely why don’t you go?” She dropped the booklet on the counter and reached for the biscuit jar. She had a feeling that she was going to need some sweet, chocolate sustenance if Jen was going to continue with her holiday push.
         “I’m your agent not an artist. It’ll do you good to get away from here. Sun, nice surroundings, cuddly animals to paint. Surely that is better than visiting the artificial surroundings of a safari park?”
         “But I’ve already booked my holiday,” she repeated, sensing she had already lost this argument.
         “We’ll unbook it.”

         “Morning, Kate. Want some coffee?” Andy held out the carafe as she entered the open plan dining area.
         Kate smiled as she took a seat at one of the linen covered tables scattered throughout the room. The bifolding glass doors were spread wide open allowing the early morning sunlight to flood the room. “Please, Andy.” She helped herself to a bread roll from the basket on the table and broke it open ready to cover with the locally made jam that was available.
         “It’s going to be another gorgeous day. Jonno says that he’ll take you out, tomorrow, to where the pride is if you’re interested.”
         “Sounds wonderful. I cannot believe you have so much wildlife around here. My sketch pad has never been so full.”
         Andy grinned. “My grandfather knew the man that used to own this place. He cared very much for the wildlife around here. Checked watering holes, made sure there was always food sources available. When he got too old to keep on top of it he decided to sell up. He was so worried about what would happen to the place my grandfather mentioned it to me. I fell in love with it as soon as I arrived and the rest is history.”
         “You’re very lucky. It’s perfect.” She sank back into the padded cane chair and let her mind soak up the panoramic view spread out before her. Beyond the small patio outside the dining room, the hard packed earth floor led into lush, rich grasslands where tall trees cast cooling shadows. Vivid blue sky, dotted with white cotton ball clouds, spread out across the plains before meeting the rugged slopes of the distant mountains. To the artist in Kate, the colours were a vibrant palette providing a living background for the many animals that lived around the hotel. Never had her muse been stimulated since arriving here four days ago.
         “What are your plans for today?” Andy grabbed a coffee cup and came and sat at the table with her. He wore cut-off denim shorts with a sleeveless white t-shirt that enhanced the deep tan he’d developed whilst running the hotel.
         “I thought I’d paint some of the views around here. I especially love the view from out there, towards the mountains.”
         “It’s a good view. I call it my morning pick-up view.” He grinned across at her before climbing to his feet as another guest entered the dining room. “Duty calls.”
         Kate watched him cross the room at attend to the guest before continuing with her breakfast. Her mind had already pictured some of the scenes she was planning to paint that day. Her fingers were itching to pick up her brushes and start creating but past experience had taught her to eat her breakfast before succumbing to her muse.
         Two hours later, she had three canvases stacked inside the dining area drying. She was amazed she had achieved so much and still had inspiration pushing at her. She placed a new canvas on the easel before popping inside the dining room to the bar to get some more fruit juice. There was no sign of Andy but one of the native girls was working at the bar, mixing up fresh pitchers of revitalising, cool fruit juice.
         “Leah, you are an angel,” Kate stated as she neared the bar and exchanged her empty pitcher for a full one. “This is perfect fruit juice.”
         Leah smiled, her white teeth contrasting sharply with her dark skin. “You’re welcome, Miss Kate. I see you been painting a lot this morning.”
         “Yes, the ideas having been flowing this morning. My agent is going to be so pleased with me when I go home.” She picked the pitcher up and carried it back out to where she had set up her easel. Her basket of paints and brushes sat underneath the easel whilst the white canvas awaited her creative touch. Only, it wasn’t white any more.
         Frowning, she walked up to the easel and studied the sweeping strokes that swept across the canvas. It wasn’t an illustration of the view but more a reflection of the vibrant colours of the landscape before them. It was both different and appealing. She looked around to see if the artist was nearby but saw no one other than the baby elephant that lived at the hotel. The baby elephant that was holding one of her brushes.
         “I guess you’re inspired by the view as much as I am, Callie,” she said as she walked over to the elephant and scratched the rough skin on the top of her head. The elephant rumbled back in contentment and leaned towards her, the paint covered brush leaving green smears across her clothes. Kate grinned and walked back to the easel. “Want to paint some more?” she asked as she put a new canvas on the easel.
         Callie rumbled her agreement and swept the brush across the white canvas.
         Kate laughed and settled down to watch the young orphan create swirling patterns on the canvas.

         Eight months later…
         “I wished you’d managed to convince Callie to come to the exhibition. I’m sure she would have loved seeing her paintings on display,” Jen grumbled as she walked with Kate around the crowded gallery. Kate had provided several of her own paintings as well as some by Callie for the exhibition. She had been careful not to let on that Callie was a baby elephant so that the media circus was minimal. The last thing she wanted was for the press to go rushing out to the holiday site to take pictures of Callie and frighten the gentle baby. Instead, they had been exhibited as Art by Callie, the Natural Artist which had satisfied the press for the time being.
         “She’s very shy. It took me a while to persuade her to release her pictures for the exhibition. She only agreed on the condition that she is kept out of the limelight,” Kate replied, suppressing a grin.
         “Well, for a crowded gallery I would happily give her everything she wanted. I’ve never had so many people in here for a showing nor sold so many paintings in one night.” She raised her glass to Kate’s for a toast. “You two have made it.”
         “Thanks, Jen. We couldn’t have done it without you.”
         “Well, I can’t do this without you two, so we’re even. When do you go back to Andy?”
         “Weekend. He wants to go over the wedding plans for next week.” She looked hard at Jen. “You are still coming at you?” she asked, knowing how easily Jen would change her mind.
         “Sure I am. I wouldn’t miss your wedding to Andy for the world. Plus, I might get to meet Callie. What could be a better holiday to take?”
         What indeed? Kate wondered as she burst out laughing at the image of them both together. Jen would certainly get a surprise when she saw who Callie was.
© Copyright 2013 Jordi (UN: jordib at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jordi has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/780247-Day-27-Prompt-Two---That-National-Artist