*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/783074-This-ones-about-names-and-graduating
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1762035
A little bit of everything, colored my own way.
#783074 added May 20, 2013 at 1:44pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about names and graduating.
30DBC PROMPT: "Remember a time when you graduated from something, whether it be grade school, high school, college, or a club like Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, etc. What did the celebrations consist of? What were your major emotions after you graduated?"

Well, I've managed to do it again. I had half an entry typed and managed somehow to erase it all.

I said something like this: 'Sup?

I come from a time where we didn't treat everything you were sposta do like a damn celebration. You were supposed to survive grade school. Even high school. Maybe not college, but damn...when do we start throwing parties for making it outta bed in the morning?

And Boy Scouts...believe it or not, I was a member...a high-ranking one at that. But we didn't "graduate". Sure, there was moving up and all that, but no, no graduations.

Girl Scouts, now, there's an organization that should promote me. I eat the cookies, and do and say mostly the right things. But I don't think we mesh ideal-wise. Heartbreakers.

I'll admit, I was a poor student. I didn't study, mainly because I didn't need to study. I got decent enough grades to become a poorly-motivated college honors student for a year. Then I decided it was more important to work for a living than to learn for a living. I had to support that college-inspired credit card debt somehow.

The best thing about college though might've have been DJ'ing at the campus radio station. DJ Buzz spun your eighties hits, mostly on vinyl. Cd's weren't as available, and unless I had my tapes with me, I was left to whatever the station's records were. That, discovering what "email" was, and a cute little redhead named Holly that I never talked to, but was in a lot of my classes and was super-pretty, might've been the best thing about that year of higher-learning. Interesting how one year financial aid can supply you with all you need to be a student, and the next year tell you you're not worthy.

But for all you kids out there about to embark on something so precious like graduating, go for it! You've probably earned it! Make the rest of us who didn't quite take advantage of the opportunity proud. It's your day/weekend/month/year. Do it up nice!

BCF PROMPT: "Blog about the name you wish you'd been given."

And here's where I lost my previously-written entry, which was no masterpiece to begin with anyway. But this is an interesting prompt to riff off, regardless.

My name's Norb. People call it interesting. I say I'm used to it...I've had it for almost 38 years. I'm also a 3rd. My grandfather and dad had the same name. But that means little to me.

I've heard when I was a kid what I would've been called had my mother had her way. I don't know who settled on what name or why, and I don't like speculating on facts that are so old and pointless, but two names stick out... Eric. And Stephanie.

True story, bro. I could've been a girl. I don't know what kind of girl, but probably not one of the marrying kind. I say that because I've somehow managed to resist marriage for so long, whether by choice or not. But that's ok.

I don't recall all the circumstances, so I'll leave it at that. But there was female potential somewhere in my genes. Maybe I crossed my legs during a sonogram. Maybe it was wishful thinking. Who knows. I don't, and really, all it is now is something on my drivers' license and mail. I guess that's the important part.

MUSICAL BREAK!!

Can I graduate??



You have no idea how much finding that made me smile.

VITAL STATS:

*Cat* I really don't have much more to say about myself today, other than I feel like an idiot for losing a cat that I didn't even see get away. Go figure. I've never seen cats want to get away from home so badly before.

And that's where I'm going to draw this entry to a close. I've got a busy week ahead of me...Peace, sign your name on the empty line, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!



Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.

© Copyright 2013 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/783074-This-ones-about-names-and-graduating