*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/784582-This-ones-about-images
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1762035
A little bit of everything, colored my own way.
#784582 added June 10, 2013 at 1:51pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about images.
30DBC PROMPT:

** Image ID #1937799 Unavailable **


Well folks, it's Monday. I can say at least that much about today.

Without reading, and only taking a fast glance at the prompt image in Windows 8's little preview screen, it looks like a bell. I see it. But, upon closer inspection, it requires you to read words. It's not a bell, but two cliffs. It's meant to inspire you to take a chance.

That's assuming, of course, you actually make it across the divide.

I understand there's the need and reason for hope and faith. Unfortunately, they don't always come in a limitless supply (and let's not get all religicallicious, please). You have to temper expectations with reality. And sometimes, the reality is you're not going to make it to the other side. You might end up in the cavern below. You could take the longest running start possible, knowing full well you're guaranteed to make it, and trip on a stone at the last, worst possible point and never make it.

Maybe it's the negative approach. But I have to see things from all sides and possible angles before I commit to something. I have to know what I'll do if it's the right choice, and what to do if it's not. To quote a line from a Get Up Kids song, "Blind faith doesn't make a sale". Even if failure isn't one of your options, it still can be chosen for you. Sometimes, even the best-laid plans fail.

And now that I've ruined your Monday a little more, let's take everything else down today.

BCF PROMPT: "What would you like to be different about BCOF, if anything? If you don't want anything to be different, what's your favorite part?"

** Image ID #1937689 Unavailable **


Well, the image is of an animal. Something with antlers. A deer, or maybe a moose or elk (and the more animals I name, the more likely I am to be correct *Smirk*). Or someone with a broken camera. Or a camera made out of a coffee can...I think we made one in like, 8th grade. But I digress.

Really, what it boils down to is choices. And what I'm seeing is the opposite of inspiration.

Let's face it. We're not always going to agree on everything or get along. Even though we're in a group meant to build and strengthen friendships (it is, after all, the "Blogging Circle of Friends ), you're never gonna see a month where so many people of varying ages and backgrounds agree on something. That's part of why we have our own blogs, and choose whether or not to comment on other blogs...and that's why we don't write other people's blogs for them. We all have our own ideas and perceptions. We like what we like, and have the option to ignore what we don't like. It's that simple.

People are complaining so much about the image prompts. I don't get it. It's a picture. You're writers. Be creative, say a few words about it, and move on with your day. We're at the point that we need a survey for this? Do you want to shove a few gift points at someone and have them take it for you too? Because basically, that's what you're asking for when you sign up and join a group that emails you a prompt to write about on a daily basis. Nobody's forcing you. There's no pressure. But- *Shock* ! Now they've taken all the words out of the prompts! Oh no! This can't happen! Now I have to think.

If that's too much, then maybe you're doing it all wrong. Go join a group that writes a blog for you and has 65 members that write the same 1,000 words every damn day. And tell me everyone's satisfied with that. *Rolleyes*

If this comes out sounding mean or childish, well, I'm ok with that. I'm not in the business of targeting anyone. I come in with my lunch bucket and hard hat, read my prompts, bang out an entry, read what others have to say about topics that may or may not interest me, and go about my day. We're all different people and we're here for different reasons under a common umbrella. You wanna get out of the rain? Go under the umbrella or get inside. Nobody's gonna mind one way or the other, as long as you're safe and dry.

/End of that rant.

It's not my forum or place to say anything. That's what I have this chunk of wild internet awesomesauce, flavored like my blog, for. I can make suggestions like the day is long, but in the end I can only control so much. I've tried to be a contributing member to the BCF for awhile, and found it mostly to be a pleasant experience. I don't have any complaints with the forum, the layout, anything like that. If I don't like or agree with a prompt, I say so. If I have something to share via the comment drop-off, I do so. And if I have nothing to add, I...uhhhh, add nothing. I'm here because this is supposed to be a community. And like any community, there are going to be people who don't like the way things are done. I say you can either enact change by doing something about whatever the situation is, or adapt. That's what governments do; that's what societies do. That's what man did over the course of centuries (and don't get me started on "evolution"...that's an entry for another debate). The point is to stay positive when there's change. I don't like change, and a lot of people don't. But one of the joys I've discovered as I matured over the course of my life is when you get better at picking your battles, the outcome is greatly improved.

Whew. I'm done ranting for the day. It's someone else's turn.

MUSICAL BREAK!!

*Clapper* Here's the song I referenced earlier. The Get Up Kids, "Holy Roman". *Clapper*



VITAL STATS:

*Camera* Ok, maybe I do have one suggestion of the BCF: When you send out the day's prompt, include the unscrambled image of the previous day's prompt, or at least tell us what it was. There's a lack of consistency there, and I think one thing everyone can agree on is if there's consistency, the process works a little better. There's at least a little trust. And maybe, have all the bugs ironed out beforehand. I know sometimes mistakes can only be detected and fixed once they happen, but the organization of the "image prompts" could've been better. I think I left those points off my survey. Oh, and make sure the images are shareable!!

Well, that took a lot outta me today. But I feel a little better having gotten all of that off my chest. Time for me to catch up and see what I've missed on Sunday. Peace, breathe in through the nose and out through the mouth, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!


© Copyright 2013 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/784582-This-ones-about-images