*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/784748-This-ones-about-the-new-world-and-the-old-world
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1762035
A little bit of everything, colored my own way.
#784748 added June 13, 2013 at 12:41pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about the new world and the old world.
30DBC PROMPT: "Suppose you are asked to create a new world from the scratch. What things/qualities/knowledge would you like to keep same in the future beings and what will you change?"

Hey everyone! Hope it's sunny where you are...my sinuses are driving me nuts and my chest feels like someone sat on me in my sleep, but I'll push through it today. Interesting prompts, for sure.

Some cartoon writer once made a superhero guy say, "With great power comes great responsibility." I wish to thank the powers of the powers that be for that quote, and the opportunity to construct this new world. Ha! It's something else I could've done yesterday from scratch. See what I did there? *Wink*

Things/qualities/knowledge. Let's see...first it'd be technology and infrastructure, fo' sho'. But it'd be plentiful, and only with the slightest of oversight. IT department guys would be the new everyman/woman of the world, because there'd be free internet for everyone. Tech companies would be the new farmers, keeping people up to speed with what seems like is now a basic necessity in our modern world. We'd have to be the best, and most self-sufficient, world in the, ummm, world. We'd still need farmers, of course, that grow food. Real food...not the fake crap poisoned with chemicals, pesticides and hormones.

Now, the prompt only says I'm creating a new world. That doesn't mean I'd have to be in charge of it. And that's good, because I don't want the above mentioned power and responsibility. But I'd make sure our government was right and just. No scandals, no mistakes to explain away or cover up. Learning by example, we'd right the wrongs of our own predecessors. No need for a civil rights movement, a civil war (or any war), no worries about who you wanna marry. There's only one race in the new world....the HUMAN race. Until we start making awesome robots that are intelligently on par with our society. And then if you wanna marry a robot, well, hey, that's your business. Everyone's equal. Everyone gets the same fair treatment. Pays the same flat tax. Rides the same bus. Enjoys what they earn, provided it's earned the right way. Everyone contributes proportionately.

Since we only have knowledge of the old world and we're not inheriting its problems, everything's green and will stay as close to that as possible. We can develop safer fuels and processes that cause the least possible damage to the environment. This includes how we use coal, gas, and recyclable materials.

I guess all I'm really saying is that getting to create a new world is a chance to undo everything that's not gone to plan the way we'd hoped 2013 would look like 50, 100, or even 1000 years ago. It's evolution baby...without the mess.

BCF PROMPT: "What do you suppose you might be doing at this exact moment if the internet had never been invented?"

*Laugh* Do you even know what you're saying?! Huh. I imagine the world might look similar to 1980, or thereabouts. Only I wouldn't be five years old. I'm trying to picture a grown-up me back then. Which is hard, because computers were put into our school roughly 30 years ago. Sure, they were different, but by the time I was done with school a lot of teachers demanded that homework essays be typed. And I was one of the only kids still using a typewriter.

Think about how everything's changed since the advent of the internet era. How much more things have changed in the last 10-20 years, versus the way things changed between 1960 and 1980. All of the different shifts in industries. Everything we do now has a card and a bar code on it...linked to something, and that's transmitted via the interwebs. Banking, grocery shopping, even taking out books at the library. I remember my first library card...it looked like something I could have made at home with a typewriter, a manila envelope and a pair of scissors. Now it's another key fob on a ring full of key fobs. More fobs than keys these days, it seems.

But what would I be doing? I'd probably be more active (assuming I didn't break my ankle involving the most primitive of essentials, a fire). I'd likely be more outgoing...or would I? Really hard to call that one...would I just make the same social faux pas I make online in person? Maybe. There'd probably also be more emphasis on television, so I'd probably split my time between that and reading. Maybe the steel mills in Buffalo would still be in operation, and I would've followed my dad and grandfather at Republic Steel.

There's a lot of maybes, but I don't wanna consider them. It doesn't seem plausible. That's like saying, "What if the world hasn't changed since 19xx?" All of mankind would be vastly different than we know of it today...only it'd be the same as it always was. We'd just be looking at through a little older set of eyes.

MUSICAL BREAK!!

*Globe2* A fitting way to tie in both prompts today. It's easy to forget that this song is 15 years old. *Recycle*



VITAL STATS:

*Mugo* Back to the "orange juice and menthol cough drops" diet for this kid. At least I have an appetite and can keep food down. There's nothing worse than having a cold in the spring/near-summertime time. I'm just glad it's not the flu like last year.

I don't have much more to add besides that today. Gonna blow my nose and loiter around as long as I can before knocking myself out when I get home. Peace, it's all across this nation, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!


© Copyright 2013 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/784748-This-ones-about-the-new-world-and-the-old-world