*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/784893-This-ones-about-what-humor-could-do
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1762035
A little bit of everything, colored my own way.
#784893 added June 14, 2013 at 4:02pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about what humor could do.
30DBC PROMPT: "What part does humor play in your life?"

Funny Friday y'all! What is up? Another fantastic prompt written directly from the depths of yours truly, and one that while I've had the advantage time to think about it and bounce it from one side of my skull to the other, unfortunately it didn't really hit anything in-between. Come to think of it, any perceived "head start" I may have had by knowing today was my day to post the prompt may have actually worked against me...active or semi-active thinking can sometimes be a detriment in these situations, and I have everything to say and nothing to work with.

What's worse is half the time, when I actually think enough to have a good idea and remember to write it down, I can't even read my own handwriting. Thus, any purpose I would have is rendered mute. Or is it moot? Irregardless (see what I did there? *Wink* )... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16FLPI5tP4s

Humor is important. It's just as important as oxygen, grammar, nutrients, napkins (or serviettes if you're from somewhere other than a napkin-using democracy) and sleep. Humor can tie all different kinds of people together. It speaks many languages, wears many hats (even ones made of fruit), tells many tales, and generally makes the world a better place. And while we may all disagree on what exactly it is we find funny, I'm sure we can agree that when there's no funny in anything, the world becomes a horrible place to think about living in.

And that's the point I want to stress about what humor means to me. Life's not all jokes and laughs and ROTFLMAO's. But it's certainly not death, destruction, corruption and hatred either. Humor rides the hazy, if not downright thick, line between both. It's what keeps me grounded in reality, and keeps me from losing my mind half the time (or losing the other half of my mind most of the time; reader's choice). It's so easy to look at so many films, magazines, tv shows, etc., and look at your own life and be miserable. But what helps counter that is being able to look at situations objectively and then poke as many holes as you can in them with sarcasm, wit, and well-timed humor.

I enjoy many kinds of humor, which thankfully there are plenty. Genre after sub-genre and so on and so forth. All of which is leading me to...

BCF PROMPT: "I wish I could ... (fill in the blank)"

Easy. I wish I could develop one classic, timeless style of humor that resonates with every generation, nationality, race, religion, political stance, shoe size, animal, taco stand, body of water, and canned good in the entire universe and beyond.

Sadly, it has come to my understanding that this isn't really a possibility. Why? There's just too many people out there. And some of them don't want to be happy. That, and the sheer amount of canned products in one grocery store alone would make that task overwhelming and quite irresponsible, to say a little more than saying the least.

Since you can't make everybody happy all of the time, and only some of the people moderately happy some of the time, and piss some people off every now and then, I think I've come up with the most practical and economic solution: make happy as many people who want to be happy as you can, piss off as many people as you can, and let the rest fall wherever they want to fall. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. {link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o7GB0p2NcA}

But where I come from, we have another saying: "One man's ceiling is another man's floor" (Google it and tell me where I got that from...and here's a hint: it's not Paul Simon). I could try to make you angry, and you could find it funny, or vice/versa. It's funny (no pun intended) how that all works. I could put 100 people in a room and say something that 99 of them would find funny in a humorous way yet not laugh, but that one person who doesn't laugh could be so outraged and teeth-grittingly angry that they become louder than the major majority. There's always that one person in every crowd...

So instead I keep on wishin'.

MUSICAL BREAK!!

*Smile* Probably not a bad mood to be in today. *Piano*



VITAL STATS:

*Phone* I'm not sure there's anything more obnoxious than someone having a ringing telephone on their desk watch someone else run halfway across a room to their own work station, just to answer the phone. Says the guy who's left his own phone shut off and at home for most of the last two days.

*Thumbsup* I must say, I was very pleasantly surprised when I logged my happy ass into WDC today and saw that I won not one, but two merit badges... Food Cooking from Elle - on hiatus for having "This one's about versatility. featured in her newsletter, "Invalid Item, and Growth from Emily and the "30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS for "This one's about the video.. I'm crazy appreciative, but I have one question (since I haven't really looked at all of the available merit badges on WDC recently)...why is it called "Food Cooking"? Why not just "Cooking"? Is there a "People Cooking" one as well ('cuz I'm not gonna name names, but I can assure you I know someone I could give that to)? Or a "Car Cooking" badge? I'm sorta confused by the specificness.

*Writing* And while we're in the "feel good" section of today's festivities, how about a special shout-out to the winners of May's "30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS: Elle - on hiatus , Jack-check out 7YS and Prosperous Snow celebrating ! Congrats on a month well done!

*Sick* Definitely feeling better as far as my cold goes...it's still in my chest. That much I can feel. But the stuffiness and runny nose is almost gone. That's gotta mean I'm getting better, right?

Alright, that's all for today. I think I've said plenty without really saying anything at all. I've left myself with just about enough time today to take care of a few more things, and then I'm outta here. Peace, grab a Coke and a smile, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!


© Copyright 2013 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/784893-This-ones-about-what-humor-could-do