*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/785886
Rated: 13+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #1940898
Take a ride on the Dawnrunner in the not-to-distant future.
#785886 added August 16, 2013 at 10:25pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 18
As honoured guests of the Global Effort in Amsterdam, Rachel and I are granted almost unrestricted movement within the city. Only a few buildings are off-limits, including the central offices, Stein’s Headquarters, and most importantly, the Amsterdam Central Station. Just as had happened in the Sanctuary, I am confident some of GE’s most important facilities would have been built along that rail line. The station is therefore the most logical place to start looking for some clues as to exactly what Commander-General Lowe was coming here to see.
The city streets fill quickly, even in the early hours of the morning. Like us, no one seems to want to waste the last days of sunlight in the countdown to the dark cloud’s descent. On our way out of the apartments, we are stopped several times by people on the street. Most are refugees from the civil wars after the cataclysm or the violence surrounding the GE reclamations. Recently more people were arriving by train, including others who had been born in the Sanctuary. None of them have any idea that the cloud cover isn’t a natural phenomenon, and the thought of Stein’s inquisitions is more than enough to leave it that way.
“Do you think he’s in on it?” Rachel asks as a young girl waves goodbye. “Stein, I mean. Whatever the Commander-General’s plan is, do you think Stein is in on it somehow?”
“He’d have to be,” I answer, trying to ignore the group of people pretending not to look at us as they whisper to each other. “I don’t think Lowe could do whatever he’s planning without anyone finding out… especially that creepy guy.”
Rachel scoffs then stops abruptly as our destination comes into view.
“And how exactly do you plan to break into that?” she asks.

The converted Amsterdam Central Station sits in two distinct parts. The first, the carry-over from its original design, and still functioning as public-access transport, sits open and inviting with ticket booths in place of armed guards. However it is the second section we have come to see. With postured confidence I lead Rachel straight to the heavily-guarded main entrance of the GE military terminal.
“Just follow my lead,” I whisper. Before she can criticise my recklessness, the first guard stops us with a raised palm.
“This area’s off-limits to civilians. The public entrance is around the other side.” The man is huge, with thick, bulky arms and the gruff, bored voice of endless sentry-duty.
“We’re engineers,” say quickly, reaching into my bag. I pull out a copy of Christy’s work-order from Istanbul and show them to the guards. “We here to help with maintenance.”
“Train’s not ‘ere yet,” says the guard, now with the added tone of impatience.
“That’s why we’re here.” Rachel’s voice makes me jump as she starts in out of nowhere. “We’re here to work on the tracks. If we wait for the train to arrive, we won’t be able to work at all! Now are you going to let us in or not?” She finishes with a fantastic hands-to-the-hips full-Rachel pose. I’m stunned, speechless at her ability to lie so well, and so quickly. She stands her ground death-staring the thick-armed guard, until his partner puts a hand on his shoulder.
“They’ve been sending people in here for weeks, remember? So what if they’re new… just check the order and let ‘em in.” The first guard lets out a rough noise vaguely equivalent to a grunt, then takes the paper out of my hand.
“Istanbul?” he says, not taking his eyes from the page.
“We were going to start there, and finish here, before the attack.” I feel a bead of sweat break across my forehead.
“Yeah, I ‘eard about that,” the second man says. “They took half the train ‘nd left half their guys behind, bleeding. Pretty pathetic if you ask me!” I tuck my hand behind my back just in time to hide my fist clenching. I don’t dare open my mouth for fear of what I’ll say.
“Well we’re working backwards now.” Rachel’s voice is perfectly level. “We start here and work back towards the Sanctuary.”
Indifference glazes over the eyes of the first man. With a scan of his palm at the console on the wall, the heavy door begins to slide away. The guards stand to once side as we pass, making us feel at once respected and strictly watched. Turning to face the inside of the complex I feel the hairs on my arm come to attention.

Inside the fortified-bunker sits a monstrous machine, easily the size of a building and stretching upwards from the ground towards the ceiling. The bottom portion is dominated by three large cylindrical tanks, each with a giant fan visible only around the edges. Three pumps sit atop their corresponding tanks, shifting slowly up and down as though testing their functionality rather than actually moving anything. The final segment is a series of hideous tubes connecting the pumps with an oversized chimney that punctures the roof like a wound.
The first guard follows us inside and starts walking in the direction of the machine.
“Come on, the tracks come in around the back.” My feet are moving behind him but my eyes are glued to the device. When he’s far enough away Rachel whispers in my ear.
“Carli, you know what that is?!”
I nod, silent, unsure whether I’m still breathing. I’ve seen it before, in the files Lazarus showed us. It’s the device they use to make the cloud! My mind is screaming as the pieces collide. The Commander-General travelling to Amsterdam. Last known sky-clear zone about to close. A giant machine about to pump a toxic cloud into the atmosphere!”
“Hey, you alright?” There is no concern on the guard’s face, only suspicion. I want to be like Rachel, to say something clever and flawless that will explain why I’m suddenly pale and speechless. My mind goes blank and I’m having trouble seeing. The last thing I feel is my legs giving out beneath me as I pass out.

An hour later I’m sitting in the hospital a few miles from the facility. Rachel has gone to the apartment, having agreed without hesitation that it was not worth waiting for me to feel better to get the message back to Lazarus. I am alone apart from a nurse behind a nearby desk. One of the doctors who met us at the courtyard enters and immediately starts talking.
“Well Miss Webb, your blood-work seems to confirm what I suspected. You’re not suffering from an infection, my guess is you are just reacting to the stress of everything you’ve been through in the last few weeks.”
I nod politely and find my feet at the end of the bed. “Does that mean I can go?”
“It does, but I’d like you to stay in your apartment, just for a few days.” Another nod. Gingerly I head for the door and back into the daylight. It’s warm and I feel a little better already.
A chill passes through me almost before my eyes land on the cold image of Rudolph Stein standing a few steps away, apparently waiting for me. When he sees me he closes the gap between us with perfect, gliding steps.
“I hear you had some trouble today? How awful. I do hope you’re feeling better.” That twisted grin is back, and immediately I want to be sick all over again.
“Yes, I am. Thank you.” I move around him as quickly as possible and start walking. A tight grip around my wrist freezes me in my tracks.
“Can you tell me what you and your friend were doing at the Station facility this afternoon?” His voice is like the cold steel of a knife, cutting through me.
Without knowing exactly how, I try to find some strength to talk. “We were trying to help, make ourselves useful…”
“By stealing another young woman’s work order? Or is she in on this little subterfuge too? You’ve got some explaining to do.”
A hear a scream from somewhere up ahead. In the distance I can see Rachel and Christy, their wrists locked in handcuffs, with at least half a dozen guards surrounding them.
“Carliah Webb, you’ll have to come with me. You’re under arrest.”
© Copyright 2013 Piccara (UN: piccara at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Piccara has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/785886