*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/788551
Rated: 13+ · Book · Thriller/Suspense · #1946584
One night a man meets a strange girl by chance, who turns his life upside-down.
#788551 added August 10, 2013 at 3:56am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 6
‘James?’ In Carlisle’s voice was not concern, rather questioning why Thomas was still standing in his doorway. The large suited man was staring at him, but said nothing. Thomas didn’t speak and didn’t move. After what seemed like a long time he reached out and put the laptop on the desk next to the half-empty bottle of scotch.
‘Why let me go, if you’re just going to kill me anyway,’ Thomas finally said. Somehow, his voice seemed far away from him. ‘I mean, this is as good a place as any, right?’ He looked at the suited man. Surely there was a gun in there somewhere.
‘Hey, James, what the hell are you talking about?’ The tension was clear in Carlisle’s voice. ‘We both got what we came here for so just get out of here and we can forget we ever saw each other!’
Thomas turned around to face him. ‘If you were really working with Charliee, then why help Lucien to find her?’ He glanced at the laptop. Worthless, he thought, a trick after all.
There was anger clear on Carlisle’s face now. ‘Listen mate, Lucien Lordes is scum and if it hadn’t been for Charliee I would still be part of his good-for-nothing crew. So you better watch what you say next.’
Thomas’ mind was racing. Charliee was in trouble, big trouble, and the only man who might be able to help him do anything about it was standing right in front of him. On the other hand, what possible reason did this Carlisle have to keep playing the pretence if he was just going to kill him anyway? He’d have to take the chance.
‘Alright,’ he said, ‘then we’ve got to hurry. Charliee’s in trouble and we’ve got to go help her.’
‘If you’re talking about Lucien, then you’re out of your mind,’ Carlisle said. ‘If he’s got her then there’s no way we’re getting her back.’ He was reaching for his half-empty scotch now. ‘Besides, I repaid my debt to her long ago. Now things are just… business.’ He drained the left-over alcohol in one motion.
Thomas felt the anger rising at the stubborn man’s words, but pushed it aside. ‘You’re wrong,’ he said finally. ‘There’s something else I can do for you. Something that’ll make it so you have to help me rescue her.’
Carlisle looked impatiently at Thomas and waved at him to continue. ‘And what would that be?’
‘I can help you get out of here alive,’ Thomas replied.

Ten minutes later, Carlisle exited the elevator, followed closely by the suited man, and crossed the cracking faux-marble floor of the hotel. They walked out through the faded arch into the dull afternoon light, onto the street outside lined with people, some returning from work, others carrying bags displaying designer brands. Without hesitating, Carlisle turned south towards a restaurant district and started walking, along with his escort. The pair reached the second ally from the hotel entrance before he felt something sharp poking into his side. A hand landed on his shoulder and a voice whispered into his ear ‘You’re coming with us’.
Carlisle turned his head to see two men wearing sunglasses. One was holding a gun to the suited-man’s side, while the other, the one who had whispered to him, was holding a similar gun to his. Without speaking they turned and followed the men away from the crowed street. The men lead Carlisle and his bodyguard to the black four-wheel-drive with no plates. The man stood next to the vehicle and waved his gun between them and the car. ‘Get in,’ he said.
At that moment, the butt of a pistol swung out and caught the man at the base of his skull. He fell forward and landed with his face in the concrete. His partner turned to see what was happening, only to have the suited-man grab his arm and launch a punch that landed squarely on his nose. The gun slipped from his hand as the man fell backwards and slid off the hood of the car on his way down.
‘Nice work,’ Carlisle was saying. Thomas meanwhile was trying to return the gun Carlisle had lent him in the hotel room. ‘You come and meet me and don’t even bring a gun, I’m insulted!’ Carlisle had joked before Thomas had left the room ahead of them. Thomas had snuck out the back way and watched as Lucien’s men had taken them the street. Now Carlisle was busy taking the gun that had moments before been held at his side, while the suited man grabbed the one from the man with the broken nose. ‘You keep that one,’ Carlisle said, ‘you’re going to need it, Thomas.’
Sitting in the black four-wheel-drive, there was just one thing left to do. Thomas picked up the mobile Charliee had called him from and hit call-back. The phone dial for a half minute, then a man’s voice answered. ‘Hello?’ The voice was cold and unwavering. Thomas knew immediately he had the real-deal, not some underling.
‘Lucien?’ he said.
‘Yes?’ the voice replied, icy with impatience.
‘I have something of yours.’
‘Indeed you do: a great deal of my money.’ Thomas patted the laptop under his arm.
‘Is Charliee safe?’ he asked.
‘Hear for yourself,’ was the reply, and a moment later Charliee’s voice came through the phone, saying his name. It was gone just as quickly.
‘You can have the money,’ Thomas had to work hard to keep his voice calm. ‘Just let her go.’
‘If you want her,’ Lucien said, mocking him now, ‘come and get her.’
The phone went silent after that. Thomas stared at the screen until the text arrived with the address. He didn’t look at Carlisle as he said ‘Let’s go.’
© Copyright 2013 Piccara (UN: piccara at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Piccara has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/788551