*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/790187-The-Buccaneer--Flash-FictionDay-12-Entry
Rated: 18+ · Book · Contest Entry · #1948043
FIRST PLACE WINNER - 30 Day Image Prompt Contest - 30 writes in 30 days. AUG - SEP 2013
#790187 added August 31, 2013 at 4:23pm
Restrictions: None
"The Buccaneer" (Flash Fiction/Day 12 Entry)
The Buccaneer

The braided leather whistled through the air and ended with a sharp "crack!"

"That'll be 20 stripes fer yee thievin' me gold," the Captain said.

Jack was in such pain that he couldn't speak. Looking out through blurry eyes, he saw the sun dancing on the waves, heard the gulls crying out in the azured sky, as he hung limply from the ropes that stretched him out.

He was dimly aware that his vision was narrowing, tunnel-like, as he began to lose consciousness.

"Yee'll not be escaping me that easy," he heard as he felt a wash of cold salt water splash over his back.

Jack screamed.

"Now, there's the small matter of what you did with me treasure." The voice was whispered, but clear. The Captain's mouth was so close to Jack's ear that his rank breath was suffocating.

"Captain, I cannot tell yee what I do not know," he said through clenched teeth. "Yee have the wrong man."

"Then, you're of no use to me!"

Jack felt himself lifted and then sensed falling as he was tossed overboard. He never felt the water as a gold vortex opened up. It was his last memory.

The rhythmic beeping of a heart monitor woke him. I'm back! was his first thought.

Jillian was peering into his face with concern. "Are you OK?"

"I'll be fine." Fine indeed he thought as he smiled through cracked lips.

"We barely got to you in time."

"I know," he grimaced as he shifted position, his back reminding him how close they had cut it. "But, time is on our side."

Time travel was not without its dangers but, as Jack knew, it did pay well - and he also knew where there was a fortune in gold doubloons.


Day 12 - "Invalid Item
Prompt: Image 2 (Man in gold vortex)

© Copyright 2013 🌕 HuntersMoon (UN: huntersmoon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
🌕 HuntersMoon has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/790187-The-Buccaneer--Flash-FictionDay-12-Entry