*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/790369
Rated: 13+ · Book · Mystery · #1950538
A boy becomes a legend.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#790369 added September 2, 2013 at 7:47am
Restrictions: None
EPILOGUE
EPILOGUE


         The four limousines slowly came to a stop in front of the Open door theater where yet another mob of reporters was waiting for them to arrive.  Inside the lead limousine, Timmy nervously peered out the window at the wall of people.  They were pushing and shoving each other with microphones and cameras in hand, trying to get as close as they could.  It was much the same scene that greeted Timmy and Angel everywhere they went since they were discharged from the hospital.  The only time they got a moment of peace was when they took a pair of roses to the alley behind the theater to say goodbye to Timmy’s mom and dad.  Even then, it took the Blure brothers and a small band of police officers to keep the reporters away.  Looking at the crowd, Timmy was not certain if he wanted to leave the safety of the vehicle.  He turned way from the window, throwing Angel a questioning look.

  Angel smiled, seeing his worried expression. “So, Timmy, how does it feel to be on the front page of every newspaper?”

  Timmy shrugged. “It felt good to be in the spotlight, I guess, but I really don’t think I care for those reporters.”

  Angel giggled. “You are a major celebrity right now, Timmy.” she said. “I had to deal with the press when I won my chance to play on Broadway.  I didn’t like all of the attention they gave me either but it all sort of comes with the territory.”

  Angel’s mother gave her daughter a knowing look and smiled.

  “Are we going to go out there?” asked Timmy, still worried.

  Stravis opened his mouth to respond but he was interrupted by his cellular phone ringing.  “Just a moment, everyone.” he said.

  Stravis retrieved the cellular phone from his jacket pocket and hit the answer key.  “John Stravis.”

  As he talked on the phone, giving only yes and no responses, Timmy and Angel turned to each other, curious.

  Angel turned to Brandy. “Who is he talking to?” she asked.

  Brandy shrugged, trying her best to hide a mischievous smile. “I’m not sure, dear.” she said.

  Angel caught her mother’s eye and turned to her. “Mom?”

  “Sorry, Angel.” said Maria with a shrug. “I am just as confused as you are here.”

  Then, Stravis placed his cell phone back into his jacket pocket and pressed a small button next to him. “Everything is ready, driver.” he said. “You may now take us to our destination.”

  Seconds later, the limousines slowly pulled away from the theater, leaving the surprised and confused reporters behind. Timmy turned around in his seat and watched the reporters vanish into the distance through the rear window.  Once they were out of sight, he turned back around, letting out a low sigh of relief.

  “Thank you for not making us face that mob back there, Mr. Stravis.” he said. “I think we could all use a little break from them.”

  “That is exactly what my wife and I were thinking, Timmy. said Stravis, smiling. “That is why she and I arranged a private party, away from the press, at an old hang out of yours.”

  Then, suddenly, the three limousines following turned off onto another street.  Angel, noticing this, turned to Mr. Stravis who discretely placed a single finger over his lips, motioning her to be silent as he winked at her.  A small smile touched the corners of Angel’s mouth.  She knew then that they had something special cooked up for Timmy.

  Timmy seemed confused. “An old hang out?”

  Stravis smiled and leaned back in his seat but he did not say another word.  Timmy turned to his recently adopted mother and father but they merely shrugged at him, leaving Timmy to guess.

  Minutes later, the limousines turned off of the main road and passed a set of open iron gates before stopping in front of a large, bleak brick building, surrounded by a long, high stone wall.
As the limousine came to a stop, Timmy turned back to Mr. Stravis and his wife, a broad smile forming on his face.

  “I know this place.” he said. “We’re in front of the ‘New Hope’ orphanage for boys.”

  “That’s right, Timmy.” replied Stravis. “Tonight, we will all be celebrating your new family by performing for the orphans.”

  The doors were opened for them and the group piled out of the limousine and were led around the back of the building where a large, well lit stage was waiting for them.  Behind it, members of a small orchestra sat in comfortable folding chairs, warming up with the conductor directing them.  To the left and right side of the stage, inside the shadows, the entire cast stood, waiting for them to arrive.  Timmy turned to the orphanage building and was surprised to find a large number of girls, sitting down in lawn chairs in front of the stage, along side the orphan boys.  Behind them,  peering out the high windows of the building, there were more girls and boys, all anxiously waiting for the musical performance to begin.  Timmy then turned to the walls surrounding the back of the orphanage and was again surprised to find a large number of reporters, pointing their cameras at the orphans, the young performers, and the stage.

  “You must be the famous Broadway Specter.” said a voice behind him.

  Timmy spun around, startled, and found himself facing the new guardian of the orphanage, Mr. Calm, who extended his left hand.

  “It is an honor to meet you in person.” he said. “You have brought a lot of hope to these boys over the passed four years.  I am very glad to see you finally got your happy ending.”

  Timmy took Calm’s hand and shook it. “Thank you, sir.” he said. “I hope this show brings them some hope of being adopted.”

  Mr. Calm smiled. “It already has.” he said. “When your story finally hit the news, we, and the orphanage for girls on the other side of town, started to receive call after call from couples, ready to adopt a child!” his smile broadened. “We invited a large number of the girls to come watch your performance with the boys.  A lot of these orphan kids will be getting a happy ending before this night is done, thanks to you and the young performers.”

  “I hope you know all of Scott’s lines.” said Brandy.

  Timmy turned to her curious. “Yes, I do.” he said. “But why?”

  Brandy smiled. “Because, you will be performing in his place.” she giggled, giving him a wink. “Unless, of course, you would rather play Stephanie’s role.”

  Angel began to giggle, causing Timmy to blush slightly as he turned to her. “No thank you, ma’am.”

  “Come along, then, kids.” said Stravis, hurrying them along. “The stage is set and your costumes are waiting for you in the dressing rooms Mr. Calm had set up inside the building, he will show you to them.  Let’s get moving!”

  “Right this way, kids.” said Mr. Calm.

  Timmy and Angel followed Calm into the building and reemerged minutes later, in costume, ready to begin their performance.

  “Are you ready?” asked Angel.

  Timmy nodded, uncertain. “The show must go on.”

  The orphan boys and girls, sitting outside in the lawn chairs, and peering out through the windows of the building began to cheer as Timmy and Angel took each other’s hand and walked up the steps, onto the stage.  There, they parted ways, taking their places with the other young performers, and the orchestra began to play, queuing the boys to take their places on the stage.

  Timmy, feeling nervous, as he had never performed in front of such a large audience before, looked up at the stars, hoping it would give him some comfort.  As he did, he let out a low gasp as he saw, or thought he saw, all of the Broadway characters from his posters, standing side by side on the roof of the orphanage building, as if to watch him perform.

  A grateful smile formed on Timmy’s face and the musical began. With the Broadway characters seemingly cheering him on from the roof top, Timmy played the role of Pete perfectly.  He recited every line and sang every song as flawlessly as he had when he performed Stephanie’s role as little Penny during the rehearsals.  When the show was over, he and the other performers were greeted with a standing ovation with camera flashes going off everywhere, capturing every moment.  Angel walked up to Timmy and gave him a light kiss on the cheek before taking his hand as they and the other performers bowed to their audience of orphan children.
  As Timmy rose from his final bow, he gazed up at Broadway characters, still standing side by side on the roof of the orphanage building.

  “Thank you.” he thought. “Thank you for everything.”

  The Broadway characters all gave Timmy a final bow, as if to say farewell, and then they were gone.

  Watching them fade from sight, Timmy could not help cry.

  “Are you okay, Timmy?” asked Angel, seeing his tears.

  “Timmy turned to her, his tears still flowing down his face. “I’m fine.” he said. “It’s just that.” he paused, not knowing what to say.  “Well, you know.”

  Angel smiled, giving his hand a gentle squeeze. “Come on, Timmy, let’s go home.”

THE END.

© Copyright 2013 Scifiwizard Retired (UN: scilock at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scifiwizard Retired has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/790369