*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/790848-Story-Time-I-Know-You-Can-Keep-a-Secret
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1268197
Drop by drop the snow pack dies, watering the arid lands below.
#790848 added September 7, 2013 at 11:56am
Restrictions: None
Story Time: I Know You Can Keep a Secret
The September 7, 2013 prompt for "Blogging Circle of Friends Prompt Forum is
Finish this sentence with a story It's a secret but I know I can trust you...

"It's a secret but I know I can trust you," Cora cringed when Beverlee said those words.

Cora sighed, as she pushed herself away from the breakfast table. Maybe, she thought ambling into the kitchen. If I dilly dally around long enough, Bev will forget what she has to say and I won't have to worry about keeping her deep dark secret.

"Something wrong, Cora," Beverlee ask following her old friend into the kitchen.

"No, Bev," she covered a nervous laugh with a cough. Damn, she put two bagels in the toaster. Bev knows I can't keep a secret. Why does she think they dubbed me Tell All Cora in high school. She went to the refrigerator and took out the cream cheese, when the toaster dinged Cora removed the bagels, placed them on saucers, and spread the cheese onto them.

"Let's go back to the table," Beverlee picked up one of the saucers and went back to the breakfast room.

"Well," said Cora sitting down next to her housemate. "What's your secret?"

"I'm pregnant!" She took a bit of the bagel, chewed it slowly waiting for the expression on Cora's face to change.

"Well," she attempted unsuccessfully to hold a neutral expression. "Who's the father?"

"One of the lab techs where I work," Beverlee giggled at the look on Cora's face. "I don't know because Dr. Holden is keeping that a secret until after the baby is born."

"I see," Cora knew Beverlee wanted her to do something. "What do you want from me?"

"We need another womb!"

"Beverlee, just what is it you people do at that lab?"

"Well,... Uh..." She glanced quickly around. "We... We're..."

"I presume it's something illegal, immoral, and against medical ethics." She took a bite of her bagel, "which means it pays extremely well." Her brow furrowed, "Will I receive enough to pay to catch up on the mortgage?"

"You'll receive enough to pay off the mortgage."

"Before I officially say yes, I want to know precisely what it is Genetic Improvement Labs does!"

"G.I.L. is a privately funded cloning facility."

"So, you clone human beings," Cora frowned as she finished her bagel. "All I have to do is carry the clone of one of the lab techs?"

"No, Cora, you will be carrying the clone of our founder Mr. Moneybags, as we call him at the lab."

"And all I have to do is carry the child and keep the secret. Is that right?"

"You also have to sign a nondisclosure agreement?"

"I'm game!"

© Copyright 2013 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/790848-Story-Time-I-Know-You-Can-Keep-a-Secret