*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/790854-I-remember-Storiescom
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1268197
Drop by drop the snow pack dies, watering the arid lands below.
#790854 added September 7, 2013 at 12:42pm
Restrictions: None
I remember Stories.com
WDC Birthday Blogging WEEK! The September 7, 2013 prompt for "30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS is
On the last day of the Official Birthday Celebrations, I want you to remember back to your first days as a Newbie on this site. Tell us about how it was way back then (if you are really old, *cough* *cough*) and/or how you felt coming into such a thriving community. Did you think then that it would grow and evolve how it has over the past years/months/weeks? (Bonus points for welcoming a newbie in the "Noticing Newbies" forum)

On October 31, 2002, I was working in the computer lab at the Henderson Campus of the Community College of Southern Nevada. It was Halloween and Nevada Day (yes, Nevada became a state on October 31, 1864). It was Thursday and we didn't get the day off because if a state holiday falls on a Thursday then the previous or the next Friday is the day all the state offices, county offices, city offices, and schools get off so that everyone can enjoy a three-day weekend. Since it was the last day of the month, we had taken off the previous Friday to celebrate Nevada Day.

It was a slow day and there were three or four of us working. After cleaning the computer screens in all the class rooms and the lab, we dusted around the computers and straightened the already straightened power cords. This left us with time to kill until a lunch break or quitting time. I set down at one of the computers and did a search for writing or stories. I found stories.com and became a member that day. It was a spur of the moment decision and it was one of the best decisions I have made in my life. I always have better luck with spur of the moment or gut decisions then I do when I use the logical well thought-out approach.

How did I feel? I felt nervous, elated, and excited because I had never posted a poem or story online. I found that I liked the feed back and the friendly people. I like getting reviews and, even though it made me nervous, I like giving review. I liked the encouragement and the helpful suggestions.

I went to "Noticing Newbies and welcomed a new member. I also put welcome a new member on my to do list.

To heal the agony of an untold story
or an inscribed poem,
I write
on writing.com.

Thought of the Day: "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” - Maya Angelou

© Copyright 2013 Prosperous Snow Valentine (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow Valentine has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/790854-I-remember-Storiescom