*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/791375-Day-24-Prompt-1---Loneliness
by Jordi
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1948340
Stories from picture prompts
#791375 added September 13, 2013 at 2:57pm
Restrictions: None
Day 24 Prompt 1 - Loneliness
The beach was deserted, the locals and tourists having retreated to their homes to spend the rest of the evening with friends and loved ones. She stood in the midst of golden sands, the approaching tide tinged with the fire of the setting sun, and felt as though she was the only person on the planet. Loneliness flooded through her, sweeping her along on a tide of desolation.

It was funny how life had a habit of repeating itself. Twenty years ago she had stood on this very same beach. She had watched the incoming tide creep up the sands before retreating back out to sea only to return on a more powerful surge, to inch up the sands a little further. As a seven year old child whose life had been shattered, she had wondered what would happen if the tide caught you. Would it sweep you away somewhere where loneliness was just a word, were you did not feel so alone in such a big world.

Not that she was technically alone. Her aunt and uncle were placing her meagre possessions in the back of their car so that they could take her to live with them. She loved her aunt and uncle but they were not her mother and father. They could not fill the gaping hole left by her parents death in her heart. Nor could they replace the friends she was leaving behind.

As the memories washed over her, she took a deep, shuddering breath, searching for the control that had supported her for so long. She was older now, wiser, stronger. It was silly to be reminded of such childish feelings from when she had been a little girl. Her arms wrapped around her middle, hugging herself to fend off the chill seeping into her bones.

She had moved away with her aunt and uncle, lived with them, gone through school, college and university with them. They had always been there for her yet she had still felt alone. Still felt that emptiness that would not go away.

Even when she had married, she had still had the sensation of being alone in the world. She had drawn on her inner strength to see her through the breakdown of her marriage and the subsequent fights during the divorce proceedings. It had been her support when her husband’s recklessness on the track had finally caught up with him and he had spun off in an explosive fireball. As his widow, she had had the support of her family, his family, the racing community and fans throughout the world to help her in the days that followed. Despite this support, though, she had still felt alone. Always alone.

Hands slid over her arms as she was drawn back against a firm chest. Warmth flooded from the stranger into her body and she smiled, relaxing against him, accepting his support. The feeling of loneliness started to melt away in his presence. She could feel his heart beating against her back, her own heart seeming to beat in time with his.

Throughout her life there had been one thing that had stopped the loneliness from overwhelming her. Whether it had been a word, a touch or simply just being there, he had been her anchor. As a child he had stood on this beach with her, one arm over her shoulders, as they had watched the tide. No words had been spoken, they hadn’t been necessary.

When she had been getting married, he had been there, a person who listened when she voiced her fears about the wedding. He had said nothing but she had known, if she had asked it of him, he would have taken her away from the wedding. Sometimes she wished he had said something so she would not have made one of the biggest mistakes in her life.

When Robert had died, he had come to her, holding her hand as guilt not loneliness had swept through her. She had blamed herself for his death, believing that their breakup had caused him to lose concentration. When Robert’s mistress had called her a pathetic excuse of a woman, she had believed her until he had shown her otherwise.

Now he was here with her once more, standing on this beach, with his arms around her, giving her his support as he had so long ago. Only now there was love to sweep away the loneliness, true enduring love like her parents had shared before their death.

“My mother says they’re ready for us to open the reception,” his said, his voice a gentle rumble in her ear. “Ready?”

She linked her hands with his, loving the feel of them against the rounded swell of her abdomen where their child grew. “Yes,” she breathed, turning to smile up at him. “I was just remembering the last time we stood here.”

“All those years ago. Do you remember when I said I would always be there for you?”

“Yes, and you were.”

“Just as I always will be, now and in the future,” he promised as he came to stand by her side, his arm over her shoulders as they stood looking out over the sea.

The beach was deserted, the locals and tourists having retreated to their homes to spend the rest of the evening with friends and loved ones. She stood in the midst of golden sands, the approaching tide tinged with the fire of the setting sun, and felt as though she was one of half of the last people on the planet. A sense of belonging flooded through her, sweeping her along on a tide of love.

And she was happy to be swept along.

© Copyright 2013 Jordi (UN: jordib at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jordi has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/791375-Day-24-Prompt-1---Loneliness