*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/791638-Day-28-Prompt-2---The-House
by Jordi
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1948340
Stories from picture prompts
#791638 added September 16, 2013 at 6:57pm
Restrictions: None
Day 28 Prompt 2 - The House
She had always been certain about her life. Believed it to be strong and true, well-grounded and secure against life’s storms. A bit like a house, made of brick with deep foundations to weather whatever nature threw against it. A place of safety, of warmth and reassurance.

She leant back in her chair, closing her eyes as she allowed her imagination to roam. The lounge would be where she thought of her friends, sat around gossiping on a Saturday night, a bottle of wine on the coffee table, a fire blazing in the hearth. There would be the sound of laughter rippling through the room, the chink of glasses above the soft music playing on the stereo, a mixture of feminine perfumes floating in the air above them. A good time would be had by all.

The kitchen, often called the heart of the home, was where she provided for those she shared her life with. Creating things that would nurture her loved ones, give them the strength to face the coming day. It was a place where comfort was offered, a warm brew to chase away the chill of life’s disappointments, a hearty meal to boost the flagging senses.

The master bedroom was her relationship with her husband. Somewhere safe and warm, secluded yet a part of the house when needed. It was a room filled with love, evidenced by the warm décor, pictures on the walls, the gentle scent of fresh flowers from the discreet air freshener on the dresser. The large bed a place where two hearts connected, strengthening the bond between them, building for the future.

The empty bedrooms were for the children of that love. A boy and a girl, sweet and innocent, treasures of their parent’s eyes. Their rooms would be decorated to reflect their personalities, a pink confection for a princess, a blue action room for a little hero. Laughter would be the music of the room, fun the rule to live by.

All of those rooms would be safe within the sturdy, secure house that was her life. Or so she thought. Now she felt as though a wrecking ball had crashed through the house. Demolishing the walls as though they were made of paper, scattering the furniture like dust balls. Standing amongst the wreckage she felt vulnerable and exposed as though all her secrets were on display to the world.

Feeling restless, she leapt to her feet and went and stood by the window, watching the raindrops track their way down the glass. The bright sunshine of the morning had melted away under the heavy downpour that had started at lunchtime. Just like how the life she had known had fallen apart today.

She wrapped her arms around the middle, trying to stem the feeling of emptiness swirling around inside her. Everything had been so perfect when she had awoken this morning. She had made breakfast for everyone as normal. Prepared lunches for the children to take to school, checked their school bags contained everything they needed for their day ahead.

She had watched her husband laugh and joke with the children, felt herself melt when his eyes locked with hers, kissed him goodbye when he left for a week working away from home. She had taken the children to school, felt a little lost when she had returned to an empty house before doing the day’s chores. It had been a day just like any other, nothing to indicate the lie she had been leading.

Downstairs she heard the doorbell ring but did not move to answer the door. She didn’t want to see anyone at the moment. Didn’t want them to see how vulnerable she was, how lost and alone she was feeling, how betrayed she felt.

“Shannon? Are you here?”

She closed her eyes as she heard her sister’s voice and the sound of footsteps coming up the stairs. She really didn’t want to see anyone now, especially not her family who would rally around her like knights protecting their king. All she wanted was to be left alone with her misery.

The door opened, allowing a shaft of light from the hallway to illuminate the room. Her sister stood in the centre of the beam, her face creased with concern for her. She looked around the once immaculate room, seeing the smashed photographs, the broken ornaments, overturned chairs and crossed straightaway to stand before her sister.

“I came as soon as I heard,” she said as she placed her hands on Shannon’s crossed arms. “Mom and Dad collected the children from school and took them back to their place.”

“Thanks. I wasn’t in a fit state to collect them.” Her voice was rough from all the emotion that had overwhelmed her that day. “Are they okay?”

“They’re fine. Mom and Dad took them to Happy Landings for their dinner and let them watch cartoons when they got home.” She smiled reassuringly at Shannon. “They keep trying to guess what they’ve done to earn such a treat but they’re okay.”

“Good, I’m glad. I don’t know what I’m going to tell them.”

“We’ll cross that bridge tomorrow. Why don’t you come with me to Mom and Dad’s and stay there, tonight?”

“I don’t know, Rhea. I feel like I want to be alone, right now.”

“Well, what you feel and what you need are two different things at the moment. You need to be with those who care for you and besides, the kids will wonder what’s going on.” Rhea gave her sister a gentle squeeze, her eyes full of love and support for her sister.

“You’re right. Being alone is not good at the moment.” A sigh escaped from between her pursed lips, long and shuddering it seemed to come from the very depths of her body. Her shoulders slumped in defeat as she looked around her. “You know, weekend was supposed to be our tenth anniversary. I’d booked us a weekend away at Merricks, full pamper package, just the two of us.”

Rhea said nothing, just watched as her sister prowled around the room, her movements short and jerky from the pain she was experiencing. She wanted to comfort Shannon but history had taught her that Shannon did not appreciate comfort unless she asked for it. She was an independent young woman, proud and forthright, with a large heart for her family.

“It’s funny.  You can’t have a wedding anniversary if you haven’t got a wedding to celebrate the anniversary of. Damn him!” Shannon’s control slipped as she flung a photograph on the floor, ignoring the sound of glass breaking as it landed on the floor. “How could he do this to me? To us?”

“I don’t know, Shan,” Rhea wished there was something she could say which would ease her sense of pain and betrayal her sister was feeling.

“Why didn’t I spot it? Why didn’t I realise? I’d stood next to him in church and listened to him recite his vows. I’ve lived with him, slept with him, made lo- had sex with him, given birth to his two children and yet I still didn’t spot it!”

“None of us did, Shan. We all believed him when he said he had to work away. None of us could have known that he had another wife and family.”

Shannon closed her eyes against the feeling of pain washing over her. She felt something tickling her skin and reached her hard up to find tears trickling down over her skin. She thought she was all cried out after today but she obviously still had some left to shed.
“I should have realised something was wrong all the times he refused to consider moving to the city. He used to say it was better for the children to be raised here rather than the city and I, like an idiot, believed him.”

“You are not an idiot, Shannon. You are smart and strong and a very loving young woman.” She stepped closer to her sister. “Come home, with us, Shannon so that we can get everything sorted out ready for when you go to the station tomorrow. Don’t shut us out.”

“Thank you,” Shannon whispered, knowing her sister was right. She just needed to feel it for herself, she thought as she looked around the room. She grabbed a change of clothes before following Rhea out of the room.

Together they went through the house and outside where Rhea’s small convertible sat waiting. Before climbing into the car, Shannon turned and looked at her house. Though her house still stood strong against the storm raging around it, her own mental house had taken quite a beating. However, she knew with the support of her family friends it could be rebuilt and the holes torn through the middle of it sealed and made strong. She would get through this, she had to for the sake of the children. When they were sorted she would sort herself out, but not before.

Like her house, she was strong.
© Copyright 2013 Jordi (UN: jordib at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jordi has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/791638-Day-28-Prompt-2---The-House