*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/792175-Rectifying-an-Injustice
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1268197
Drop by drop the snow pack dies, watering the arid lands below.
#792175 added September 23, 2013 at 11:26am
Restrictions: None
Rectifying an Injustice
The September 23, 2013 prompt for "Blogging Circle of Friends Prompt Forum is
Tell us about something you think is terribly unfair and explain how you would rectify it.

How can I choose one injustice to rectify when the world is overflowing with injustice? Injustice can be likened to the Lernaean Hydra,1 when you cut off one head of this chthonic2 creature two more grow in its place. In order to destroy the Hydra of Injustice you have to you have to cut off all its heads and cauterize them as you decapitate the creature. By cauterizing the neck of the creature you cut off its blood supply (the root cause) to its head or the visible manifestation of injustice.

I believe the root cause of injustice (in all its forms) is prejudice of some type. In order to rectify an injustice you have destroy the root of prejudice, which is difficult because humans instinctively fear what they do not know or understand. Laws can go a long way to rectify injustice, but no law can destroy the root cause of the injustice because that cause is hidden under the surface in the chthonic regions of the human psyche. One of the causes of prejudice may be humanity's xenophobic3 tendency to fear anything that may be foreign or strange, which could be the cause of a person's insecurities. The best way to deal with this is to teach or give permission to individuals to question their own belief systems and ask why.

Why? Is the most dangerous question that an individual can ask him or herself because ultimately it reveals the reason a person holds specific prejudices. Once the reason for holding any prejudgment is revealed then the person can deal with that prejudice on an individual leave and overcome it (if the person chooses to do so). Learning the reason for holding a prejudice put the responsibility of dealing with that prejudice, and the injustice it generates, on the shoulders of the individual. After a human being reaches the age of maturity, It is his or her responsibility to overcome any prejudices or insecurity hiding under the surface of the individual's actions.

Quote of the Day: "I'm interested in the fact that the less secure a man is, the more likely he is to have extreme prejudice." - Clint Eastwood

Footnotes
1  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lernaean_Hydra
2  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chthonic
3  http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/xenophobia


© Copyright 2013 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/792175-Rectifying-an-Injustice