*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/792477-Art-that-Inspires
by Lani
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1455359
My musings, my rambles and I welcome you.
#792477 added September 27, 2013 at 11:39am
Restrictions: None
Art that Inspires?
This is a prompt from a few weeks ago. I am having trouble with writer’s block so I save the prompts just in case something will inspire me later.





Is there a painting or sculpture you’re drawn to? What does it say to you? Describe the experience. Or, if art doesn’t speak to you, tell us why.





I can’t think of a picture or a sculpture that really moves me. There are many great works that are beautiful, thoughtful, and engaging but I can’t say I have a favorite. I mean how can you choose between the Masters?





The Mona Lisa, The Mona Lisa






the ThinkerThe Thinker
or





The Screamthe Edvard Munch painting.






Each work is wonderful and has merit. I like most of the old world masters; Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Raphael, Rembrandt, Monet, etc. I also enjoy American artists like Fredrick Remington, Charles Russell and Whistler. The Hudson River School of Painting by Thomas Cole is another beautiful body of work
Thomas ColePainting.






Cartoons are what I really respond to as art.  Don’t laugh but it’s true. A scratch of ink here and there, a few well-chosen words and you have something that makes a real impact. Graphic novels or comic books as they were called then introduced me to 17th century literature. I read Pilgrim’s Progress an edited child’s version to a boy I was babysitting. It turns out that it is quite the adventure story.  I still remember the pictures, the dialogue, the impact it made on both of us. How much better is a story with a few strokes of ink and paint?  At one time I wanted to be a cartoonist but I didn’t quite have the right (write) stuff.





I also love funny pictures and political cartoons. Belly laughs, stories, twitters, cringes, bittersweet snickers and groans are all welcome. One of my all-time favorites is a Hagar the Horrible ‘toon. Dr. Zouk is in a pub with Hagar. There is a glass of wine in front of them.





The good doc says “Some would argue that this glass is half full. Others would argue that it is half empty.”  In the next panel, Hagar grabs the glass and downs it. In the last panel Hagar says “Why argue?”


How can you not love a media that gives you philosophy with a laugh?






© Copyright 2013 Lani (UN: lani at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Lani has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/792477-Art-that-Inspires