*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/792939-It-Takes-Away
by NYPen
Rated: E · Book · Educational · #1942316
Contemplative thoughts that infiltrate the mind.
#792939 added October 2, 2013 at 1:58am
Restrictions: None
It Takes Away
        These next few months are some of the most exciting. I enjoy the smells, colors, fireplace crackling, and the food. I grew up in the northeast where the weather and the seasons changed when September rolled in. I am a fan of colder weather being able to wear layers of clothing, wrapping up under a big comforter, and snuggling with my wife. It's a wonderful time.
        Those moments are slow to arrive where I live now. I live in the southeast which has long summers,and short winters. I wouldn't consider South Carolina really having a winter since it's so mild. We've had 70 degrees in November. Who ever heard of degrees like this in November?
        When the temps are up that high it takes away from the aesthetics of the season. We don't get any snow, which means there are no snowmen, no sledding, and no snowball fights. What kind of winter is that? I don't much care for tropical winters, but my wife does. My wife grew up in Vermont where the winters are brutal.
        The Canadian border runs along the Vermont region. We share the coat of winter with them. I remember days where the temps were down to 40 below, and that was not pretty. I was unable to enjoy my hot chocolate because it turned into a chocolate block. The area we lived in Vermont was in a small town called North Hero, forty minutes outside of Burlington.
        The town would shut down because the only access was a drawbridge that would freeze. When I mean freeze, it would freeze the gears so the bridge couldn't be operated. I had never seen anything like it with icicles hanging off the bridge pistons, railings, and road grates. The bridge wouldn't have to operate anyway because no boats could access Lake Champlain. The lake ice was so thick that the lake became a parking lot of ice fishermen.
        Traveling into Burlington when I could, you would see the breath of the fishermen in the early morning hours. I don't know how those guys could get out there, and do that. What I've been told is that it is part of their blood. I'm glad I don't have blood like that. I don't think I could get out there on the lake, and sit there drilling a hole in the ice.
        I do want to travel up that way during the winter again. I am a photographer, and there are awesome opportunities for great photos. Vermont is an amazing place showcasing that postcard style fishing, village environment. Vermont is one of the most beautiful places I've lived. When I go back up that way I will make sure that I keep my hot chocolate liquified.
        I will enjoy the tropical winter that South Carolina brings. I know the temps won't be as brutal. I won't have any snow, snowballs, snowmen, or sledding, but it won't be harsh. I will enjoy my liquid, hot chocolate. I guess my hot chocolate won't be a block.

© Copyright 2013 NYPen (UN: nypen at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
NYPen has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/792939-It-Takes-Away