*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/793468-1012-Contest-Setting-1-Description
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Thriller/Suspense · #1955384
assignments here
#793468 added October 13, 2013 at 7:09pm
Restrictions: None
10/12 Contest Setting 1 Description
          House on Goodrich Ave St Paul



         Theanne turned off the engine at the curb in front of the house. She checked the address on the paper. It matched the number on the wrought iron fence a top a brick wall that lined the front of the house. It ended at the driveway where a matching wrought iron gate guarded the entrance.
         "This is it." She spoke the words aloud to Talia.
         "You sure?" Talia's eyes were wide in mock surprise. She looked back at the impressive house and shook her head back and forth with definite exaggeration.
         Theanne nodded and opened her door. The two walked to the gate to the front walk. A key lock prevented random entry and Theanne tried one of the keys on the ring the lawyer gave her. Her gloves slipped on the smooth key and she pulled her hand out of her glove. The gate opened and the two went through to stand in the middle of the brick walk.
         Theanne could imagine the color and flowers in the garden to her right. Now covered with a thin layer of snow. Shrubs and plants lined the front fence and the path that lead away from the front walk to the driveway.
         The house rose before them with class and elegance. Matching brick supported the wrap around porch. A porch swing, covered in a canvas hood sat at the far right corner where the porch turned toward the side yard.
         "I'm glad someone shoveled the walk and the steps." Talia still gripped the railing just in case there was some ice on the step.
         "There must be a caretaker. I see lights on in the house."Theanne glanced at Talia, "Did Mr. Layton say anything about housekeepers or caretakers?" She looked back at the house with some skepiticism.
         "I don't know. I wasn't with you."
         "Sorry, I forgot."
         Theanne pressed the bell and heard the old fashion bong, bong, bong in a recognized pitch."I love that sound."
         "You have the key and it's your house, just go in."
         Theanne thought for a moment. It was her house, but if someone inside had made preparations for their arrival, she would be courteous and ring the bell first.
         The door opened to reveal a thin older woman in an apron, and uniform. "Hello?" Smells of gingerbread or pumpkin pie wafted over the two girls. They looked at each other ans smiled.
         "Hello, I'm Theanne Jaconelli and this is my friend Talia Lazaro." She paused to see if the names were recognized.
         "Welcome, Mr. Layton called to say you'd be coming by."The woman smiled and opened the door wider. "Come in and get out of the cold. I'm Diane Thorsten, the housekeeper and cook." She held out her hand for their coats.
         Theanne took off her coat and scarf. While Diane hung them on the polished wooden coat rack beside the door, Theanne looked around the entrance. There was the smell of lemon polish under the baking smell. Every piece of wood gleamed in the sconce lights and chandeliers.
         "Would you like a tour or do you want to explore yourself." The woman's short grey hair framed a thin long face and pointed nose.
         If you don't mind and have the time we'd love to have you show us the house."
         I'd be happy to." She turned and looked down the entry hall. "If you'll wait a minute, let me see if the last loaf of my gingerbread is done."
         " May we come with you?" Talia asked already moving to follow the woman.
         "It's your house now. By the way which one of you is the owner now?"
         "That would be me."Theanne offered.
         In the kitchen, Theanne looked around in awe. The counter gleamed and hanging in the center of the room over the island were copper bottomed pots and pans. A commercial stove took up almost one wall with a pot filler in its storage position. Next to the stove gleamed a huge side by side refrigerator. It had to be commercial.
         "Yes it is." Mrs Thorsten responded and Theanne realized she'd spoken out loud. She just wanted to spread her armed out and whirl in the kitchen. She could do it and not touch a single piece of furniture or appliance. This was heaven. Her mother would love this house.

© Copyright 2013 Quick-Quill (UN: thekindred at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Quick-Quill has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/793468-1012-Contest-Setting-1-Description