*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/796035-Giving-Credit-Where-Credit-Is-Due
Rated: 18+ · Book · Opinion · #1241026
Thoughts on things from the news, TV, radio, and daily life that hit home with me.
#796035 added September 2, 2017 at 9:12pm
Restrictions: None
Giving Credit Where Credit Is Due
         We lost iconic comedian George Burns a number of years ago. From time to time some of his best lines or routines from his career will cross my mind when I least expect them. But there were two of them that burned into my memory the first time I heard them, and I think they are definitely worth sharing, especially with the younger generation.

         In a rare hour long interview I saw many years ago )I believe it was 1980), held in front of a live audience, in a theater I think, he said two things that showed a personal side of him that many people never saw; and both of them showed the wonderful character traits that had become part of him as he grew up.

         One audience member asked him about his early career on the vaudeville stages across America. He told about the grueling travel, the one-night stands, the exhausting hours of often doing more than one show a night, all in an effort to build a successful career. Then he paused a moment, obviously in remembrance, held his head up high, and said, "Then I got my big break. And I was married to her for 37 years." Of course he was speaking of his late wife and comedic partner, Gracie Allen. The audience greeted his openness and unselfish comment, giving Gracie full credit for his success in the business, with a huge round of applause.

         A few minutes later, in a comment that could apply to both his vaudeville years and his early TV years, both with Gracie, he said, "I had the easiest job in show business. We'd walk out on stage, I'd ask Gracie "How's your brother?" and Gracie would talk for 27 minutes."

         He never waivered from giving Gracie complete credit for his successful career in show business. That's about as unselfish as it gets. He never once let his success go to his head. He never forgot where he came from, and he never forgot the one person, more than any other, that helped him get there.

         If anyone ever deserved to live to be 100, it was George Burns. And he reached that milestone, too. Hopefully many of us can learn from his example of giving true credit where it's due instead of trying to get all the credit for our acheivements for ourselves when in reality others have likely done things across the years that helped us, no matter how small or large their contribution.

         Rest in peace, George. Your character, and your unselfish approach to life, are sorely lacking in today's world. You are truly missed.,

© Copyright 2017 Incurable Romantic (UN: jwilliamson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Incurable Romantic has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/796035-Giving-Credit-Where-Credit-Is-Due