*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/796369-Scary-Friday-Memories-of-Unscary-Childhood-Halloweens
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1268197
Drop by drop the snow pack dies, watering the arid lands below.
#796369 added November 1, 2013 at 1:05am
Restrictions: None
Scary Friday: Memories of Unscary Childhood Halloweens
It's Funny Scary Friday! It's November 1, 2013 and the prompt for "30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS is
What is the scariest thing that has ever happened to you in real life? This can a Halloween memory, or not. For a chance to win a merit badge, read the rules in this forum: "Blogging Bliss Newsletter Forum and post a link to your entry over there as well as in the "30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS forum *Bigsmile* (Back-up Prompt: What Halloween costume are you most proud of, and which are you most embarrassed by? If you did not celebrate Halloween, is all this Halloween talk making you wish you had?)

I responded to the "Blogging Circle of Friends Prompt Forum October 31 prompt in "Bone Chilling and Paralyzing Terror and posted it to the "30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS forum, so I'll go on the toe Back-up Prompt.

I'm not celebrating Halloween this year for a several reasons. First, Mom and I stopped celebrating Halloween about 2008 or 2009 because Mom began going to bed before the monsters and screechers begin going door-to-door and I didn't enjoy giving out candy without Mom. I tried once to give out candy and treats in 2010, while I enjoyed the experience, it wasn't the same without Mom being awake to assists.

This year I'm not giving out treats because there are too many Halloween memories and I didn't purchase any candy or snacks to give the little monsters. I thought it was lack of planning, but I realize now it had more to do with the memories then lack of planning for it. I purchased a bag of candy corn for myself, so I could have purchased other types of snacks for the trick or treaters, but didn't. Perhaps next year, I have 365 days to think about what I want to do at Halloween 2014. In the meantime, I might use some of my memories in stories. I might even use some of the in "Midnight in Suburbia, all though at this point I'm planning to begin the novel at Thanksgiving instead of Halloween.

As for Halloween costumes, I don't remember the costumes as much as I remember the trick or treating. I enjoyed going trick or treating because my my mother or grandfather always took us from house to house. I think I enjoyed that more then the experience of getting candy or dressing up like a witch or something else. I remember that one year, my youngest brother, Tom, said "What's Up Doc!" instead of "Trick or Treat". I also remember that one of my brother's (I think it was Frank) said "Whoo, Ding Dong, Ding Dong!" He was attempting to imitate a train.

Then there was the lady who gave out suckers and religious pamphlets. I think she was a Jehovah Witness, but I'm not sure about that. Anyway once a week she also had religious classes in her home. I didn't think there was that much difference between what she taught us in her Friday afternoon class and what I learned in the Southern Baptist Sunday school every week. I remember the stories in both classes being the same Bible stories. I think one of the most important lesson I learned was that there wasn't that much difference between the Christian domination's. I know there must have been difference, but at the time I didn't see any because the Bible stories were the same.

Quote of the Day: "From ghoulies and ghosties and long leggety beasties and things that go bump in the night, Good Lord, deliver us!" - Scottish Saying

© Copyright 2013 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/796369-Scary-Friday-Memories-of-Unscary-Childhood-Halloweens