*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/796443-NaNoWriMo-Day-2-Chapter-2---Daniella-Makes-Phone-Calls
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Family · #1956638
NaNoWriMo 2013
#796443 added November 29, 2013 at 10:29am
Restrictions: None
NaNoWriMo Day 2: Chapter 2 - Daniella Makes Phone Calls
Chapter 2: Daniella Phones
About Holiday Change in Plans


Daniella enter her bedroom and sit down on the bed. She placed the letters beside her and then removed her cell phone from her purse, but instead of dialing Jose, she dialed Ethan.

"Hi, Little Brother," she smile. "How are you doing?"

"I'm doing all right, but there has been a change of plans for Thanksgiving."

"You got a letter form Aunt Dolly as well. Then I guess you know what the problem is."

"Yes, I'm going to Oklahoma for Thanksgiving and I was hoping you'd either go with me or come down later."

"Oh, you already have reservation for a late flight on the Tuesday of Thanksgiving week."

"I'm going down either that night or early Wednesday morning. I haven't called Jose yet to find out when he can take me."

"You're going with Alice."

"No, I don't want to know which Alice." Daniella laughed, "you can introduce us this weekend or when you arrive at Mom's."

"Is there anything I need to take with me?"

"All right. Will you be coming to the house this weekend or..."

"What type of gig do you have?"

"You're going to a poetry reading with Alice. Just how involved are you with this girl."

"I'm not trying to stick my nose in your business. It's just that..."

"The conversation I had with Mom earlier was a bit strange. It seems she wants grandchildren and you're the only one who can give them to her."

"Yes, I'm encouraging you to get married, but if Alice isn't the girl for you..."

"Good! You can introduce Alice to Mom on Thanksgiving."

"Yes, Preston and I are still planning to get married in the New Year."

"I don't know if we can have a double wedding, but I'll ask him."

"No, the only thing you need to take to Oklahoma is Alice and yourself. Plush the appropriate clothing."

"Check the weather before you pack. You never pack anything several days ahead anyway."



Daniella access her contact list, but instead of dialing a number she put the phone and the bed. Getting up, she walked to the dresser and sit down. Picking up a brush she begin to brush her hair. Perhaps, she thought as she looked at herself in the mirror, I should have my hair done and get a color in it before going to Oklahoma. It might help in dealing with Mom and Dolly if I look younger then what I really am. Putting the brush down she went back to the bed and picked up the phone.

"Why am I putting off calling Jose to book the plans." Her brow wrinkled, she knew why. She did not want to go to Blackwell, Oklahoma on Thanksgiving because of the memories, there were too many bad memories about holidays with Aunt Dolly and Papa Larry. Dolly always caused trouble at Thanksgiving and Christmas, but Thanksgiving always seemed worse. Maybe it was because Papa Larry tended to express his love for Amity in ways that Dolly disliked.

Daniella smiled as she remembered the Thanksgiving before Papa Larry died of lung cancer. The minute Dolly walked into the house, without having the curtisy to knock on the door, he pulled Amity into his arms and give her a passionate kiss. Then when Dolly cleared her throught, he took Amity by the hand and went into their bedroom, closing and locking the door behind them. An hour later, he came out and said hello to his sister. Dolly did not like the suggestion that Larry and Amity had been in bed together, while she, Dolly, was left alone with Ethan and Daniella.

Larry always did things like that when his sister came over for holiday dinners or even to visit. It was as if he enjoyed baiting Dolly. Perhaps he did, Daniella wished she could follow her step-father's lead, but instead of using her sense of humor when Dolly was present, she always did or said something that sounded rude or snide.

"Perhaps," she said picking up the phone again. "This year I will take a different approach and attempt to react as Papa Larry did. He never took Dolly seriously, but he always did something that would piss her off." Daniella know that her stepfather loved his sibling, but the only one he could stand was his brother. "Come to think of it," Daniella said, "neither Papa or Uncle Harry could stand having Dolly around for very long without doing something that they knew would upset her."

Daniella accessed her contact list and dialed Preston's cell phone. "Hi, Sweetheart."

"I just called to tell you that I have had a change in plans for Thanksgiving."

"I have to go to Oklahoma because there seems to be a bit of a problems."

"I don't think it's anything serious, it's just that Aunt Dolly thinks Mom is getting senile."

"I called Mom and we had a very odd conversation, so I think I ought to get up there and see if there is a real problem."

"You're going to laugh when I tell you what Mom suggested."

"She ask me when I was going to give her a grandchild."

"Jesse suggested that Mom may be having a reaction to some of her medication."

"I think it's just a side effect of dealing with Aunt Dolly. The woman can drive anyone off the edge."

"Papa Larry always deliberately did thing that aggravated her."

"No, I'm not going to follow Papa Larry's lead, at least, not unless you go with me."

"I'll explain that to you later. Right now I want you to make sure to stop at a store on your way home tonight."

"I need you to purchase another pint of chocolate ice cream."

"Because Aunt Dolly's letters always cause me to eat a pint of ice cream."

"Very funny. I don't need several gallons of ice cream in my freeze."

"I'll see you later, Honey."

After Preston cut the connection, she accessed her contact list again and dialed Jose's number. "Jose, would you like a client on the Wednesday of Thanksgiving week."

"I have to go to Oklahoma to visit my Mother for Thanksgiving."

"Yes, I could arrange to leave on that Tuesday evening."

"We're going to Blackwell, Oklahoma."

"Bring whoever you want along."

"Is Blackwell where your father-in-law lives."

"Oh, Tonkawa."

"I think we'll come back to Vegas on Friday or Saturday."



Daniella accessed her contact list again and dials Rodger Shupe.

"Hello, Uncle Rodger, this is Daniella."

"I'm find. How are you?"

"I just called to let you know that I'm going to visit Mom on Thanksgiving this year instead of Christmas."

"Yes, I received a letter from Aunt Dolly, but that's not the reason I'm going. At least, it isn't the entire reason."

"I'm changing my holiday plans because of a conversation I had with Mama today."

"Mom seemed to be having some memory problems."

"She though I was still in my child bearing years."

"When did you notice her memory issues?"

"You talked to her today!"

"No, she didn't mention it, but I suspect the problem may have something to do with her medications."

"I'll arrive on the morning of Wednesday, November 27."

"I'll call Mom about it in the morning, but I wasn't planning on calling Aunt Dolly."

"I can have Dolly meet me at the airport."

"No, I'm taking a private plain, so I'll be landing at the Blackwell-Tonkawa Municipal Airport."

"Uncle Rodger," Daniella sighed. "I'd prefer that your sister didn't think I was rich."

"I'm well-off, Uncle Rodger, not rich."

"Do you want me to show her how the other half live or to show off and piss her off like Papa Larry did?"

"All right, as soon as Jose e-mails me the flight plan, I'll call her and have her meet me at the airport."

"Don't mention it, Uncle Rodger." She smiled wickedly, "Would you like me to introduce her to my father?"

"I don't know for sure if he's alive, but I know his name."

"It's Daniels. Jack Daniels."

"Of course, I'm sure that's his name.... Let's put it this way, that's the name Mom put on my birth certificate."

"Why don't you send Aunt Dolly a bottle of Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey?"

"Uncle Rodger, you can tell your sister whatever you want. I'm more worried about Mom then what Dolly Stupe-Cartwright thinks."

She cut the connection, got up off the bed, went into the bathroom, and began to fill the tub. Picking up the 7 oz. bottle of Mary Kay Private Spa Collection, Joyful Foam Body Soak off the edge of the tub, she poured some under the hot water and watched it foam. Turning off the water, she undressed, got into the tub, and closed her eyes. A few minutes later, she heard a knock on the bathroom door followed by the door opening and closing.

Opening her eyes, she smile at Preston. "Aren't you home early?"

"No, it's almost 11:30 pm. I gather you've been on the phone all evening."

"Yes," she noticed his frown. "Is something wrong?"

"I'm not sure, Daniella. Do you know a Mrs. Stupe-Cartwright?"

"Yes," she sighed. "That's my stepfather bitch of a sister."

"She called the office today and when Rachel wouldn't give her your home phone number the woman cussed Rachel out."

"Did Rachel respond appropriately?"

"Rachel was polite and said she would pass the message on to you."

'Preston, would you hand me a towel?"

"You know, Sweet Heart," she got out of the tub and began drying herself off. "Rachel always amazes me. I think she's the only person on the planet that can be polite to Dolly, but perhaps that's because she isn't a family member." She removed a pink bathrobe from behind the door. "What did Dolly want?"

"She said you need to get down there and deal with your mother as soon as possible."

"I don't suppose she said why."

"No," he kissed her on the cheek. "I presume the problem is the side effects of your mother's medication?"

"Yes," she gave him a passionate kiss. "You sure you don't want to come with me to Oklahoma?" They left the bathroom.

"No," he laughed. "My mother dislikes flying to Las Vegas, so one plane trip this holiday season is enough."

"One plane trip?" Daniella moved her purse and the letters off the bed.

"Yes, I've convinced Mom to move to Las Vegas." He began undressing, "Main get a little cold for Mom's arthritis during the winter, so my brother and his wife will move into her house"

"Then she'll be living in your place," Daniella turned down the bed. "Yes, but I'll have to find someone to stay with her after we're married."

"Why?"

"Because we're going to move into this house. Aren't we?"

"Preston, we can move into your house if your mother likes, but she may want to live on her own."

"True," he got into bed. "Why don't we discuss this after Thanksgiving?"

"That's fine with me." she clapped her hands and the lights went out.

© Copyright 2013 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/796443-NaNoWriMo-Day-2-Chapter-2---Daniella-Makes-Phone-Calls