*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/797469
by Jordi
Rated: 18+ · Book · Fantasy · #1961301
Demon Fire - my Nano 2013 entry
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#797469 added November 11, 2013 at 8:08am
Restrictions: None
Chapter Two
        Lights blazed from the windows of Tynan Hall, illuminating the courtyard and the edges of the formal gardens that Lady Margaret, the wife of the Protector, had planted. Wealthy residents of Tynan meandered around the grounds and into the Great Hall, enjoying the hospitality of the Protector and his wife.
        Rumbles of contented conversation could be heard echoing across the courtyard and into the hall whilst the gentle notes of the string quartet's latest composition wove themselves around the relaxed guests. It was clear that the evening's festivities were, as always, a resounding success with the people of Tynan.
        Success or not, Lady Jenna of Tynan, middle daughter of the Protector's four children, was bored. She had been pressured by her parents to attend the gathering and, as she looked around the bustling hall, she could see the reason why. Wealthy, powerful residents, dressed in the finest clothing, socialised with each other whilst their unattached offspring prowled the room looking for suitable marriage material.
        Jenna hated events such as this one with a passion. As the middle child, the pressure was lessened for her to achieve an advantageous marriage for her family. Her older brother and sister had that pleasure placed upon them. However, she was a tempting opportunity for the elder sons of some of the affluent families in Tynan who were keen to have an alliance with the Protector's family.
        She fixed a smile upon her face as she mounted the steps leading towards the external doors to the great hall, nodding to those guests she knew. Occasionally, a hand would settle upon her arm, halting her progress whilst inane greetings were exchanged and meaningless conversations entered in to. Always, there seemed to be present at these at these little exchanges some single son, brother, nephew, grandson who were so keen to make her acquaintance. She would have to be deaf, dumb and blind not to know what their real reason was for their introductions.
        It wasn't that she was against getting married. Far from it, sometime in her future she did want to marry and have a family. The only difference between her dream and her parent's dream was that she wanted to be the one to choose her future husband. She did not want to have one picked for her after having several paraded before her as if they were exhibits at a horse fair. She wanted love, respect and, above all, the sense that what they had would last an eternity and never fade. Impossible dreams, she decided as yet another acquantance of her father's stopped her to introduce their son.
        "Lady Jenna, I don't believe you've met our youngest son, Rofar, who is home from the Royal University."
        Jenna fixed what she hoped was her most welcoming smile on her face and turned to greet one of the town's matriarchs. "Lady Morelle, how lovely to see you and your husband this evening. Lord Rofar, a pleasure to meet you." She extended a hand to the earnest looking man standing beside his smaller though no less intimidating parent.
        "The pleasure is indeed mine, my lady," Rofar replied as he raised her hand to his mouth. Cold lips brushed a light kiss over her knuckles, lingering for a second longer than propriety allowed before it was lowered and released with a final caress along her sensitive palm.
        Behind her smiling lips, Jenna gritted her teeth against the wave of distaste that rose within her from his touch of her hand. There was something about Rofar that set her nerves on edge and made her want to get as far away from him as was possible.
        "Rofar has recently completed a course of study in law at the university and has been accepted into Master Thomas's legal practice here in Tynan," Morelle gushed as she flashed her son a proud smile. "Only those who gain the highest qualification are invited to work for Master Thomas."
        "You must be very proud." Jenna scanned the guests within the hall looking for a familiar face she could escape to. "I know my father speaks highly of the work Master Thomas does for him."
        "I am looking forward to it," Rofar interjected, his eyes running up and down Jenna's frame in much the same way a horse breeder would look over a potential brood mare. "I have to return to the University at the weekend for a few days but then I shall be returning home for good. Perhaps we can meet up, sometime, and go for a drive? I have the latest superior carriage that I acquired whilst at the University. It is a truly smooth conveyance to travel along the roads in."
        "I shall let you know when I am available, Lord Rofar." Jenna gave the other man a slight smile to take the sting out of her discreet refusal of his offer. Spending time in a carriage, superior or not, was the last thing she wanted to do with this man. Every look, every brush of his body against hers sent icy shivers along her nerves and made her want to take flight and never look back.
        "I shall look forward to it." There was a hard look in his eyes that told her it was not just the carriage ride he was looking forward to. Something that was confirmed in the last glance he took of her body, his eyes lingering on the curve of her breast for a second longer than propriety dictated.
        It was with relief that Jenna was able to excuse herself from his presence and continue to circulate amongst the guests. Her relief was diminished each time she glanced around and saw Rofar watching her, a calculating look upon his cold features. Once more she felt like an exhibit at an auction being paraded around the ring whilst others calculated her worth.
        "Ah, Jenna, there you are."
        She turned and greeted her mother with a warm smile, brushing a gentle kiss against her soft skin. For a second she inhaled deeply of her mother's familiar rose perfume, comforting memories of a time when her mother had been there whenever she had needed her rising up within her. Ruthlessly, she clamped down on those reminders knowing that these days her mother was more likely to side with her husband that go to the aide of her daughter, no matter what the need.
        "Mother, you look very elegant this evening," she greeted, watching her mother's smile widen as she smoothed her hand down the rose coloured silk gown she was wearing.
        "Thank you, my dear. It's a dress your father bought for me when we were at the Royal Court last month. I was going to wait until we had something special to celebrate before wearing it but your father assured me he would take me back to the Royal Court for a new dress." She gave her daughter a knowing smile. "Maybe I won't have very long to wait for my new dress. I understand from your father that Lord Rofar is very keen on you. He has given his permission for you both to go for a carriage ride tomorrow afternoon before he returns to the University. Isn't that exciting?"
        "No!" Jenna's voice was sharp as she glanced across the hall to where her father was in deep conversation with Lord Rofar of all people. "I do not wish to go out with that man."
        "But, Jenna, he told your father that he would very much like to begin seeing you with a view to a potential proposal of marriage. I know that your father is very keen on having him as a future son-in-law. He has some excellent prospects ahead of him." She leant closer to her daughter, her voice dropping to a conspirital whisper. "Word is that the King himself is considering inviting Lord Rofar to work in his own law chambers. You cannot get a better position in life than one of the King's own personal officers."
        "That maybe so but what about me? What about whatever prospects I may have? My own plans for my future." It was difficult to keep her voice low so as not to draw the attention of neighbouring guests but she could not stem the rising tide of anger and frustration within her. A part of her already knew what her mother's response would be before it was even voiced and it saddened her that she could be dismissed so easily.
        "Why, Jenna, what better prospects could you have than to be the wife of one of the King's own legal advisors? There is nothing better and you will have a full life at the Royal Court doing things that would make you the envy of so many women."
        Jenna stared at her mother, standing before her in her expensive silk gown, her russet coloured hair tinted to cover the grey whilst coloured powders concealed the wrinkles in her soft skin. She was the picture of a lady at home within any of the courts of the upper levels of society and it was this image that drove her rather than portraying one of a caring mother. She wasn't surprised at this realisation but it still hurt to acknowledge it.
        "What if I don't want to be the envy of all women?" she asked, already knowing what her mother's answer would be. "What if I just want to be accepted for who I am?"
        "Why, Jenna, don't be a silly girl. We do not settle for such minor roles in this life. Our purpose is to be superior to all those around us and to strive to make the best for ourselves and our family. It is our role to make marriages that will bring prestige and respect to our name and to support our husbands in their endeavours to be the best in their chosen roles." Celeste patted her daughter's hand. "If we do not do this, dear Jenna, that what is our purpose in this life."
        "It may be your purpose, Mother, but it isn't mine." Unable to accept her mother's blase acceptance of their role in society she whirled around and headed outside. Tears pricked at her eyes as she escaped the bustling hall and its female occupants who seemed to have no desires of their own only those of their husband and the role that society placed upon them.
        Outside the patio area was deserted, the guests enjoying the entertainment within the hall. Jenna walked aimlessly along the paved area, her mind on the conversation she had had with her mother. She wondered why she was so different to her two sisters. They accepted their lives as they were and had no ambition to be any different from the way they had been raised. She, on the other hand, did not want to be the showpiece of a marriage. She had a brain, a mind of her own, dreams she wanted to fulfill. Was that so wrong?
        "Lady Jenna, what are you doing out here when all of the guests are inside? Could it be you are looking for some private time with someone?"
        Jenna stiffened at the familiar, grating tones of Rofar. A shudder rippled through her body at the thought of spending private time with him. Never, she decided as she turned to face him.
        "Why, Lord Rofar, I did not see you out here. I was just getting some fresh air for a few moments. The Hall was so crowded and stuffy that I was feeling rather faint." She knew she was rambling but she could not ignore the slight churning in her stomach as he edged closer to her. As she cast a swift look around, she saw that they were standing on the edge of the paved area, just inside the light cast by the tall lanterns that were placed around the patio. The shadows cast by the hedges marking the edge of the formal gardens blocked any other light source from reaching them making this area very dimly lit.
        "Really, my dear Jenna? You appeared to be fine when I last saw you in the Hall. Could it be that you followed me out here to discuss our ride tomorrow afternoon?" His eyes glowed in the shadowy light as they once more travelled over her slender frame.
        Jenna stiffened, her own blue eyes turning to shards of ice as she met his lustful gaze. It was clear he was imagining their ride tomorrow to be more than just a pleasant ride through the countryside surrounding Tynan. If his intention was to seduce her tomorrow then he was in for a huge disappointment, and it was going to start now.
        "Lord Rofar, I fear that I must tell you, despite my father's misguided consent to your request, that I will not be seeing you tomorrow or any other day you may enquire about. I have no intention of becoming involved with you and I would be most grateful if you would rid yourself of such ridiculous ideas."
        Rofar's brown eyes hardened as his cheeks flushed with angry colour at her words. His lips thinning with displeasure he leant even closer to her, his hot, moist breath fanning her cheeks with each rapid breath he took.
        "I believe you are the one with ridiculous ideas, Lady Jenna. Terms have already been discussed and agreed with your father regarding our forthcoming wedding. I will have you as my bride and there is nothing you can do about it. I suggest that you start to learn your place before you have to face consequences you will not like."
        "You cannot force me to be your wife!" she bit out, her own temper sparking to match his own. She could feel her nerves tingling as her powers started to awaken within her, bubbling away just under the surface. With a deep breath she sought to rein in her self control before she did something she would regret.
        "You think not? You are nothing but a pawn to your father. Our marriage will provide your father with access not only to an exclusive law chambers favoured by the King but also access to areas of society previously denied to him."
        Her face paled as his words rang true with her regarding her father's feelings on her status. His eldest son and daughter had fulfilled their roles of entering into influential marriages that would benefit the town of Tynan and her father's position as Protector. Now it was her turn to make a marriage that would satisfy her father's desire to be amongst society's elite citizens.
        "Pawn or not, I shall still not be forced into a marriage with a man like you!" she spat back, anger at her own situation making her reckless and ignorant of the warning signs coming from this man.
        Rofar's eyes darkened ominously as slender hands grabbed at her upper arms, the long fingers wrapping around her limbs like steel manacles giving no chance of escape. He dragged her closer to him, squashing her softer curves against his much harder body. Wet lips left a cold trail across her skin before her soft lips were crushed beneath his firmer ones. She struggled against him, trying to catch her breath and clear her mind against the panic rising up inside her.
        "You may think you're better than me, Jenna of Tynan, but you are no different from any other bitch. You will be my wife and you will submit to me." He reached up and gave her breast a painful squeeze causing her to cry out. "Yes, Jenna, show me how you like it."
        His hand moved upwards, tugging at the neckline to try and get at the soft flesh hidden away. Jenna whimpered as his fingers dug painfully into her and struggled against his tight hold of her body. Tears escaped from the corners of her eyes as she realised her struggling was only arousing him further. She wanted to cry out, beg for help, plead for someone to come to her rescue but her throat was gripped in a vice of fear that cut off any words escaping.
        "That's it, my girl, show me what you want." He bit the words out against her neck, his breath coming in harsh pants as his hand drifted lower to enable him to lift up her skirt with a torturous slowness.
        Terror, icy cold and paralysing held her in its spell, convincing her that her life would soon be over once Rofar had had his way with her. She didn't want to die out here at the edge of her mother's garden, alone and broken. Images of her lying under the hedge, her eyes open yet empty, filled her mind, sparking the fire of self preservation deep within her.
        Her spine tingled, sending sparks along her nerves, warming her hands where they lay clenched against Rofar's chest. Through the roaring in her ears she could hear him muttering about what he was going to do to her, inflaming the fire within her even higher. As his hand gripped the smooth curve of her bottom she placed both palms flat against his chest and pushed hard. Light, white and pure burst from her hands repelling Rofar backwards.
        As she stumbled backwards, free from his hold, she saw Rofar seem to fly across the patio before crashing into the delicate lattice fencing at the edge of the minature orchard. She lay upon the floor, her thoughts a mad jumble swirling around inside her head. Her hands tingled in the aftermath of the release of her magic, her senses heightened by the power coursing through her body.
        "Jenna, what the hell have you done?"
        Her father's angry voice cut through the muzziness in her head and she turned her head to see him marching across the patio towards the prone figure of Rofar. She wanted to scream out loud what Rofar had done to her but the words jammed in her throat as she watched him check Rofar over for any injuries whilst muttering harried words of apology.
        Within moments Rofar was on his feet, leaning heavily against her father who seemed oblivious of the dirty smears that Rofar's mud stained clothes left against his own finery. Jenna had managed to scramble to her own feet and straightened her gown as best she could. The bodice had ripped when she had thrust Rofar away from her leaving her to hold the edges together with hands that shook with a mixture of fear and anger.
        "Your daughter is a menace, Lord Merkel!" Rofar ranted as they approached. "She followed me out here and indicated that she was willing to accept my interest in her. When I went to kiss her to seal our relationship she flung me to the ground."
        "That's a lie!" Jenna glared at them, her face paler than the moonlight shining down upon them. "You attacked me after I told you I was not interested in seeing you. I was simply defending myself."
        "Jenna, that is enough!" Her father's voice, so cold and harsh towards her, cut through her shield of anger and pierced her vulnerable heart. "You will cease these ridiculous accusations against our honoured guest. I cannot believe that you would behave in this way and bring disgrace upon not only this house but my standing as Protector of this town. I can only hope that Lord Rofar does not seek to pursue this matter further and is willing to overlook this indiscretion of yours."
        "But, Father, he is lying. He..."
        "Enough, I said! Go to your room and await for me there. I shall see you once I have made amends to Lord Rofar. Go!" Merkel turned back to Rofar, his face apologetic as he helped the younger man back towards the Hall.
        Jenna stared after them, watching the way her father was so solicious to her attacker. She felt as though her soul was being ripped apart at her father's betrayal of her. Whilst she had always known that she was not as highly thought of as her siblings it still cut her deep to see his feelings so clearly evidenced by his actions.
        She wrapped her slender arms around her body and turned back to the Hall, heading towards a side door that would lead up the stairs to her own chambers. As she passed the great hall she could hear the sounds of merriment continuing without pause, the occupants unaware of what had happened on the patio. For not the first time in her life, she felt alone and on the outside of this world her family belonged to.
        Inside her room she stripped off the torn gown and tossed it into the dying embers of the fire aong with her shift  before pulling on her nightgown. She longed for a bath but her maid was assisting in the hall below. She did not want to sit through the questions she was certain the girl would have.
        With a heavy heart she crossed to large window that overlooked the gardens. She wondered how long it would be before her father came up to her room to deliver his punishment. He would want to make certain that Rofar was appeased with no risk to their fledgling association first. She doubted that Rofar would want to pursue a wedding with her after what happened but nor would he want to be bested by a female and her father would not want to lose the chance of entry into the higher echelons of society.
        A tear trickled down her face, wiped away with a trembling hand still covered with dirt from her tumble. Her father's punishment would not be a light one, of that she was certain. Nor would he be pleased that she had used her magic in front of people. He was convinced that her powers were a curse, something to be ashamed of rather than embraced as a part of who she was. No, he would have a punishment that would reflect the severity of her actions and the threat to his status. There would be no fun on her horizon for a long time to come, she concluded as she turned and padded over to her bed.
        Lying beneath the feather quilt, she stared up at the ceiling and wondered why she alone had been given such powers when no other female had them. Not even the illegitimate female offspring of the gods possessed any powers. For some reason she, a mortal who was female, had been born with magic and no one knew whether to love it or hate it.

        There was no knock on the door to announce the arrival of her father. Still angry from the events of the evening, he stormed into the bedchamber and glared down at the sleeping form of his middle daughter.
        "Jenna!"
        His voice boomed around the small room, rousing her from the deep sleep she had not long since fallen into. Rubbing her eyes she sat up and looked at him as he stood glowering down at her.
        "Father," she greeted, pleased that her voice was not shaking overmuch.
        "You have brought disgrace upon this household with your actions of this evening. Lord Rofar was threatening all types of punishment towards not only you but myself as well. Thankfully your mother was able to soothe him and turn his threats into more minor grievances. I really cannot believe that you would have behaved in such a way this evening. Do you have no loyalty to your family?"
        If it was possible, Jenna's face paled even further in the face of her father's displeasure in her. She wanted to rail at him, tell him the truth of what Rofar had done to her but she knew without a doubt that he would not believe her. In his eyes, Rofar's word was the truth and she was just a rebellious, disrespectful daughter who cared not for her family.
        "I am truly sorry, father, I meant no disrespect to you or your guests." She lowered her head in an attempt at appearing full of remorse even though her temper still sparked within her at her father's words.
        "Are you, Jenna? Situations such as this one seem to arise all too often with you. I had to spend hours apologising to Lord Rofar for your bad behaviour. I think I managed to persuade him not to pursue this further with the King. I am hopeful that once he calms down there may still be hope of a relationship with him but I do not think it will be with you. Your sister, Charona, seems to be a suitable prospect for him."
        "Charona? But she has only just turned sixteen. She is too young for a man like Rofar!" Enraged she sat up in her bed ready to plead with her father not to sacrifice her younger sister but his raised hand forced the words back down her throat.
        "You will say nothing of this. Nothing. You have ruined your chances for a prosperous future, young lady, and I will not have you ruin your sister's chances. I have arranged with the Abbess at Tynan Abbey to accept you into the abbey where you will study to become a maiden in waiting. If you show such signs of having learned from your mistakes then I have agreed with the Abbess that you may be released from your vows. However, I must warn you, Jenna, that it will take a lot for you to be released."
        "The Abbey?" Jenna stared horrified at her father. To join the Abbey to commence training for a maiden in waiting to the service of the gods? That was a fate far worse than anything she could have imagined her father planning for her. A life full of rules, restrictions and servitude where the simplest of pleasures would be out of bounds to her.
        "The carriage will collect you in the morning and take you over there. I have been informed that you will not need to take much with you as clothing will be provided for you." Merkel turned and walked over to the closed chamber door. With his hand resting upon the latch he looked back at the pale, stunned face of his daughter, his face grave. "I hope you are satisfied with your actions this evening, Jenna, for you have greatly threatened this family's prospects for maintaining our role in society. I find that I am ashamed to acknowledge you as my daughter after this latest debacle of yours."
        Jenna stared after him as the chamber door closed. Through the enveloping cloud of hurt and shock she was aware of the key being turned in the lock, ensuring she would be unable to escape her punishment. She lay back down upon the feather mattress, her heart a lead weight within her chest crushing her with the pain of her father's cold treatment of her. From always feeling as though she was on the edge of her family circle she was now a full outsider, on her own and shunned by the family she loved with all of her heart.
        She doubted that she would ever be good enough for the Abbess to release her from her vows. Her father would no doubt insist on her having exemplory behaviour and fully repentant for what had happened here this evening before any consideration given for her release.
        A tear trickled down her cheek over the loss of not only her freedom but also her future. She would never find a someone to fall in love with and marry. Never experience the delights of creating a family where all would be loved equally and without reservation. Never know the joy of being loved for who she was as a person rather than as the daughter of the Protector. Her life was over.
© Copyright 2013 Jordi (UN: jordib at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jordi has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/797469