*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/798641
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Music · #1964095
The musical from 'Timmy'.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#798641 added November 24, 2013 at 6:15pm
Restrictions: None
Orphans on Broadway Part Six
Scene Five(part three):
Young's mansion/ Phone booth/ Scheme's hideout.
(lights on, center stage.)

That afternoon, with the press and police present, Thomas Young tries in vain to comfort Miss Annabelle and the orphan girls as they wait for word from either the orphan boys or the greedy Mr. Scheme, who had kidnapped Anna and Penny.

THOMAS:
(holding Miss Annabelle.)
I have every policeman in Chicago searching for Anna and Penny. Mortin Scheme will not get away.

REPORTER 1:
Isn't that what you told your wife the first time your daughter was kidnapped, Mr. Young?

The girls give the reporter a dirty look. Sal throws her heal onto the man's toes. He hops on one foot, reacting to the pain and peg knocks him over, causing him to fall to the floor.

Amanda:
Shut up, punk!

The reporter jumps to his feet and looks at the girls angrily but quickly backs down as the other reporters throw dirty looks at him as well.

PEG:
Don't worry, Miss Annebelle. From what I hear, the boys know the streets of this city like the back of their hands. They will find Anna and Penny.

POLICE CHIEF:
I have men blocking every street out of this burg with squared cars patrolling every street in between. Never fear, we'll catch him.

REPORTER 2:
So, what do we have on this Mortin Scheme?

PEG:
He's a dirt low, no good thief!

Anna:
Peg is right. Penny has told us that he makes the boys steal from people in the streets every night, just to feed his greed.

REPORTER 2:
(concerned.)
Do you have proof of this?

POLICE CHIEF:
I have a record of previous arrests on this guy a mile long. But he doesn't have a single conviction because of technicalities or a lack of evidence, which was how he was able to snag a job as guardian of that orphanage.

PEG:
Just ask the boys, they'll tell 'ya. I'll bet Scheme as hundreds of stolen items hidden somewhere in the boys dorm, just waiting to be hoaked on the street.

REPORTER 1:
Why do the boys steal for him? What does this Scheme have over them?

Amanda:
(annoyed.)
You're really asking for a knuckle sandwich, mister.

PEG:
Food is one thing, pal. If the boys don't steal for him, they starve. And he had told them that if they decide to turn on him, he would tell the police that they alone are responsible for the stealing in the streets.

JODI:
But now, he's crossed their line and, if they catch him first, he's going to pay for it.

REPORTER 2:
If all of this can be proven, this may turn out to be the story of the century.
(he leans towards Peg.)
You wouldn't be interested in an exclusive interview, would you?

PEG:
(winking.)
Don't push your luck, friend.

At that moment, the telephone rings. Mr. Young moves away from Miss Annabelle and answers on the second ring, giving the police chief time to start the telephone recorder.

THOMAS:
Young mansion.
(lights on, stage right) where the audience finds Mr. Scheme standing alone inside a telephone booth.

SCHEME:
This is Mortin Scheme. I have you daughter and her friend. If you ever want to see them alive again you will do exactly as I say.

THOMAS:
(angrily.)
I'm listening.

SCHEME:
You will place one million dollars into a satule and deliver it to the alley behind the orphanage tonight. We will make the exchange there.

THOMAS:
I'll be there, Scheme.

SCHEME:
Be careful, Mr. Young. If I see so much as a badge anywhere near the orphanage tonight, both your precious daughter and her feisty friend will suffer a very tragic death.

THOMAS:
There will be no police there, Scheme. But if you harm just one hair on either of those girl's heads, I'll...

Scheme hangs up the phone and walks away from the booth into the dark. (stage right.) As he disappears, Sam emerges from behind the booth and watches Scheme walk away before turning to the audience.

BOYS:
(off stage.)
Na na na na!

Lights go out (stage right.) while Thomas, still holding the telephone receiver, slams it down and begins to pace on the floor.

ANNABELLE:
What does he want from you?

THOMAS:
(fuming.)
He wants one million dollars in cash to be delivered to the alley behind the orphanage tonight or he will kill Penny and Anna.

PEG:
Can you get a million dollars together in time, Mr. Young?

THOMAS:
Yes, I can. But I fear that once he has it, he will try to kill the girls anyway.

ANNABELLE:
(frightened.)
What makes you think that?

THOMAS:
You can disappear very quickly with a million dollars these days. But he's not going to get away with this, not if I have anything to say about it.

( HE WON'T GET AWAY. )

He won't get away!
Not for this crime
The boys and I will find the girls in time.
We know this city like the back of our own hands
We will see that Scheme does not succeed with his plans!
He won't get away,
Not with the wealth at my command.
The boys and I will hunt him down like the dog he is,
Through the air, the water, and land!
He won't get away!
Scheme will pay for kidnapping my kids!
(All)
He won't get away!

THOMAS:
Max!

MAX:
(running up to him.)
Yes, sir?

THOMAS:
I want you to get the ransom money together. I'm going to personally make the exchange.

MAX:
Right away, sir.

ANNABELLE:
(concerned.)
Be careful, Mr. Young.

THOMAS:
Don't worry, Annabelle. I'll get the girls back. That is a promise.

REPORTER 1:
What should I put in the obituaries tomorrow, just in case?

Peg throws a fist into the reporter's stomach, forcing him to keel over, coughing.

THOMAS:
(smiling.)
Good answer, my dear.

REPORTER 1:
That orphan girl just assaulted me, officer. Do something!

POLICE CHIEF:
I didn't see anyone hit you, sir.
(turns to a fellow officer.)
Did you?

OFFICER:
I didn't see anything, chief. The poor man must have a stomach ache or something.

POLICE CHIEF:
(to reporter 1.)
I'd zip that lip tight, young man before these girls end up tearing you apart.

The reporter staggers away as Thomas Young and Max prepare the ransom money while Miss Annabelle and the orphan girls pray in the background.

PEG:
(whispering.)
Come on, boys. Don't let me down.

The lights fade (center stage) and the lights fade on (stage left) where the audience finds Anna and Penny tied to chairs inside a small room some where with only a single light above them holding back the darkness.

PENNY:
(frightened.)
What is Scheme going to do with us?

ANNA:
He's probably going to use us to get to your father's fortune.

PENNY:
Do you think Scheme will let us go after dad pays him?

ANNA:
(after a short pause.)
I don't know, Penny. But I do know he'll make Scheme pay. That is if the boys don't get to him first.

PENNY:
The boys?

ANNA:
If I know Allen and Pete, they're probably searching the whole city for us.
(whispers.)
I just hope they find us in time.

SCHEME:
(entering scene- stage left.)
And how are my guests this evening? I hope you find your temporary accommodations comfortable.

PENNY:
I want to go home!

SCHEME:
Oh, you will my dear. Just as soon as your father gives me what I demand.

ANNA:
You'll never get away with this! If Mr. Young doesn't get to you, the boys will!

SCHEME:
(unimpressed.)
A very bold speech, Anna. Perhaps there is a piece of me inside of you after all.

ANNA:
(angrily.)
You are not my father!

SCHEME:
Oh, but I am. As much as you and I both detest it, I am your father. But don't worry, I am not about to admit to it openly.
(leaning towards Anna.)
Just bear in mind, I helped bring you into this world. I can take you out as well.

Anna eyes Scheme defiantly as he then leaves the scene (stage left.) After he is gone, she breathes out a small sigh of relief as Penny begins to cry.

PENNY:
(crying.)
I'm scared, Anna.

ANNA:
So am I, Penny. But we can't let Scheme know that. Don't worry, the boys are out there, somewhere, looking for us. Everything will be fine, you'll see.


( HE WON'T GET AWAY - ANNA'S VERSION )

He won't get away!
Not for this crime.
Your father and the boys will find us in time.
They know this city like the back of their own hands,
They will see that Scheme will not succeed with his plans.
He won't get away!
Not with the wealth at your father's command.
He and the boys will hunt him down like the dog he is,
Through the air, the water, and the land!
He won't get away!
Scheme will pay for kidnapping us kids!
(Anna and Penny)
He won't get away!

The lights fade off (stage left)

Scene Six: Dark Alley

The lights come on (center stage) and Thomas Young enters the scene (from stage right.) carrying a large briefcase. Upon reaching the center of the stage, Scheme's voice echoes from the shadows.

SCHEME:
(from stage left.)
That's far enough!

THOMAS:
(stopping.)
I have the money, Scheme! Show yourself!

Scheme steps out onto center stage, training a gun at Anna and Penny who are both walking in front of him. Both of them have their hands tied in front of them with a tearfully defiant look on their face. Upon seeing them, Mr. Young's anger grows within him.

THOMAS:
(fighting his growing anger.)
Let them go, Scheme!

PENNY:
(moving towards Thomas.)
Daddy!

ANNA:
(to spite Scheme.)
Father!

SCHEME:
(grabbing Penny's collar.)
Shut up! Both of you!
(turns to Thomas.)
Toss the briefcase to me, now!

THOMAS:
First, you let my daughters go!

Scheme laughs. As he does, the lights fade on (stage left) and the audience sees Chance crouched down behind a trash can with Rags at his side. Both are watching, waiting for their opening to help Penny and Anna.

SCHEME:
Daughters, is it?
(he laughs again.)
Very well, at the count of three I will send your daughters towards you and you will toss me the briefcase. Is it agreed?

THOMAS:
No tricks, Scheme!

SCHEME:
(pushing his gun against Anna's head.)
Is it agreed?

THOMAS:
(becoming enraged.)
Agreed!

Scheme counts down from three and Thomas throws the briefcase. But instead of pushing Penny and Anna forward, Scheme allows the briefcase to fall to the ground near his feet.

SCHEME:
(to Anna.)
Pick it up!

Reluctantly, Anna did as she was told. But, as she does, she spots Chance and Rags, (stage left.) They wave at her and a small smile touches the corners of her mouth. But she is quick to hide it as she stands.

THOMAS:
(enraged.)
I told you, Scheme! No tricks!

SCHEME:
(taking the briefcase from Anna.)
You are far too trusting, Mr. Young. I need insurance that you will not try to follow me. But to show you that I'm not all bad....
(he gives Penny a kick, forcing her to stumble forward and fall hard to the ground.)
You may have at least one of your daughters back.

THOMAS:
You will pay for that, Scheme!

SCHEME:
(laughs.)
You want a piece of me, rich man.
(pushes his gun against Anna's head.)
Come and get it.

THOMAS:
You coward!

Scheme laughs but, in an unexpected move, Anna turns away from the gun and rams her body into Scheme, forcing him to stumble backwards and fall off balance. The briefcase flies from Scheme's hand as he tries to catch himself. Chance, (stage left) seeing his opening, makes his move.

CHANCE:
Now, Rags! Fetch the briefcase!

Rags runs out (from stage left), knocking Scheme down. The gun flies from his hand as Rags snatches the briefcase, and runs off (stage right) with it in his mouth.

SCHEME:
No!
(forgets his hostage and gun and runs after Rags.)
Come back here, you lousy mutt!

Thomas runs over to Penny and Anna as Scheme runs passed them. The lights come on (stage right) as Scheme reaches it and he is greeted by a strong punch to the stomach by little Pete who is in the lead of the orphan boys who then tackle Scheme to the ground.

PETE:
That's for hurting Penny!

ALLEN:
(proudly.)
Pete! Not bad!

The dog barks to voice his approval as Thomas hugs Penny and Anna. (center stage.) moments later, The police arrive on the scene and take Scheme away.

(lights out right, center, left stage.)

Scene Seven: Young's mansion (Finale.)

The lights come on (center- left stage) and the audience finds Miss Annabelle pacing back and forth (center-thrust) with the orphan girls sadly looking on. The members of the press and radio watch silently with the same expression of sadness. But then, the lights come on (stage right) and the orphan boys arrive on the scene with Rags right behind. Peg, happy to see Jack, runs over to him and give him a tight hug.

PEG:
(relieved.)
Oh, I'm so glad you came back all right!
(pushes him away.)
But I thought you said you were going to find Anna and Penny!

JACK:
Hey, give me some slack! We would have brought them with us, but....
(Thomas Young, Penny, and Anna arrive on the scene.)
Mr. Young wanted to bring them in himself.

ANNABELLE:
(running to Anna.)
Oh, thank goodness!

Miss Annabelle and Anna embrace in a long, tight hug as they both cry on each other's shoulder while the orphan girls all surround Penny, happy to have her back. In the back ground, the press takes pictures of every moment.

ANNABELLE:
(crying.)
I thought I had lost you forever!

ANNA:
(also crying.)
I lost you once, mom. I don't want to lose you again!

ANNABELLE:
(taking a step away from her.)
Oh, Anna. I don't know what to do anymore.

THOMAS:
(stepping in.)
I do.

ANNABELLE:
(uncertain.)
Mr. Young?

PENNY:
(walking up to the three.)
Dad?

THOMAS:
(winks at Penny then turns to Miss Annabelle.)
I lost my daughter twice, nearly losing my new daughter at the same time. I will not let it happen again.
(produces a small box from his jacket pocket and opens it to show a huge diamond ring.)
Especially not now that I am ready to remarry, that is, if you will accept.

ANNABELLE:
(in tears.)
Yes!

The orphans all gasp in happy surprise as Mr. Young and Miss Annabelle hug. Flash bulbs from the reporters' cameras light the scene as Mr. Young then places the large diamond ring on Miss Annabelle's finger and Penny rushes over to Anna and gives her a tight hug.

PENNY:
Welcome home, sis!

Everyone laughs as Rags barks his approval and the celebration begins with the servants entering (stage left) with presents and treats galore for the orphan children. The members of the press and radio document the event as two radio reporters talk into a large microphone.

RADIO REPORTER 1
And here we are, ladies and gentlemen, live at Mr. Thomas Young's mansion where he is hosting a number of very brave orphan boys and girls, waiting for a good home. For those who are just now tuning in, Thomas Young has just proposed to Miss Annabelle Jean, the strict but kind guardian of the girl's dorm at the south Chicago community orphanage.

RADIO REPORTER 2
Just a few days ago, two brave little girls, Annabelle's daughter, Anna Jean and a small orphan named, Penny had put together a short musical entitled 'Where are the Orphans' in hopes that it would bring attention to the orphanage where Anna had lived with the other orphans and her single mother. Posters, advertising this event were hung on poles throughout south Chicago.

RADIO REPORTER 1
It was while hanging these posters that Anna and Penny discovered a missing persons poster that revealed Penny's true identity, Miss Penny Young, Thomas Young's long lost daughter. Anna and her mother promptly returned Penny to her rightful home where Mr. Young showed his appreciation by placing their little musical onto the Broadway stage and setting up this grand event before us to bring attention to the orphanage.

RADIO REPORTER 2
But before this event could be unfolded, the guardian of the boys dorm, a mister Mortin Scheme kidnapped both Penny and Anna, demanding a sum of one million dollars for their safe return. But, thanks to the quick thinking of the courageous orphan boys from the same orphanage, Scheme was quickly captured and brought to justice.

RADIO REPORTER 1
All that we are waiting for now is for you, the people of Chicago to open your hearts, pick up those phones and call Mr. Young's mansion at 555-6464 to see how you can adopt these very brave boys and girls. So come on, ladies and gentlemen, let's hear those phones ring.

The people at the phones (stage left) do not have long to wait. All of the phones are soon ringing with people on the other line, ready to adopt a young boy or girl.

THOMAS:
(to Annabelle)
It looks like it's working.

ANNABELLE:
Thanks to you, Thomas.

THOMAS:
No, thanks to Anna.

ANNA:
(blushing.)
All of us orphans did it We did it together.

ALLEN:
Good news, Anna. There are couples on the phone ready to adopt us all and the calls are still coming in!

ANNA:
(excited.)
At that rate, all of the orphans will get adopted!

ALLEN:
I've got to admit it, Anna. Your crazy plan actually worked.

ANNA:
Do you know who's going to adopt you?

ALLEN:
Actually, Pete and I are getting adopted together.

ANNA:
By who?

MAX:
(stepping in with the head housekeeper.)
By us.

PENNY:
(surprised.)
Max! I didn't know you were married.

MAX:
(smiling.)
I'm not.

HEAD HOUSEKEEPER:
(placing a hand with a gold ring on his shoulder.)
Not yet, anyway.

THOMAS:
Well, I guess love can bloom where you least expect it.

ANNA:
(walking towards the audience center/thrust with Thomas and Annabelle.)
Adoption dreams do come true.

(FINALE: THEY HAVE COME )

(Anna)
They have come, our parents to be.
From across the world and across the street.
We finally have a home
One we can call our own.
(Peg)
Anna...
I said the world ain't what it used to be,
I thought no one could afford another mouth to feed.
But I was wrong...
There is hope after all.
(Jack)
Sing it, Sam!
(Sam)
Fate left us orphans! (Na na na na!)
We fought to live tooth and nail! (Na na na na!)
Scheme made criminals out of us! (Na na na na!)
We thought we would land in jail! (Na na na na!)
The girls came up with a plan. (Na na na na!)
We thought it would fail! (Na na na na!)
Then Scheme kidnapped our friends! (Na na na na!)
And we all kicked his tail! (That's right!)
We're no longer orphans
And the cops said we're not going to jail! (not this time!)
There are people who care, our stories made the news!
There is a way out of the- (Out of the!)
Orphaned into the petty crime blues! (Na na na na na na!)
(Sam)
Penny!
(Penny)
It's adoption or bust!
And busted is all we get.
That is what we thought,
But there is hope, even for an orphaned kid.
(Pete)
Money still aint worth dust,
But nothing is worthless.
We broke the status quote,
Case closed, file it away and close the lid.
(Children- All)
There's nothing ahead of us but better days,
Give your loneliness a kick,
We've found the other end of the stick!
(Anna)
Adoption dreams have come true.
But they did not come true through prayer alone.
We got out that night
We woke up this town
And now people know orphans need a home.
(Allen)
I had a dream locked up inside
A yearning, burning to be free.
Anna helped me hear my heart
'Helped me follow my dreams
Now I see a bright future ahead of me.
(Staci)
I had always dreamed of adoption day,
When folks will come to take me away.
My dreams have come true today!
(Anna)
They have come, our folks, you see.
From down the road and across the sea.
(Thomas)
I thought you were lost you forever,
but now we are together.
And through my fortune and fame,
Your friends will have a last name!
(Children, All)
We have a last name!
They have come!
Curtain.

THE END
© Copyright 2013 Scifiwizard Retired (UN: scilock at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scifiwizard Retired has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/798641