*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/798701-A-Mad-Mad-Mad-Mad-Mumsy
Rated: 13+ · Book · Mystery · #1222498
A place for random thoughts, ideas, and fun!
#798701 added November 25, 2013 at 12:09pm
Restrictions: None
A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Mumsy
This past week, someone I care about was deeply wounded by the words of another. My friend reached out for support in an hour of need, and was instead told his path was hellbound.

In my effort to maintain peace, I kept my mouth closed. I kept my mouth closed, despite the fact that the topic was one that I have vowed never to let slide. I have spent a good part of the past three years actively working to be a vocal advocate for LGBT rights. No, more than that . . . for my entire adult life, I have made it clear that the scourge of prejudice and inequality is not something I will stand for.

And yet, I stayed silent. I did not confront the perpetrator of prejudicial remarks. Why? Why?

I tell myself it is because I also feel very strongly that everyone is entitled to their beliefs, and their faith. But the systemic use of one's beliefs to uphold the prejudice, hatred, and oppression of another burns a place inside of me. So much so that the book I just finished is really . . . the entire series is, in truth . . . a message that one should not use faith to oppress others.

The use of faith to justify hatred has been done for centuries, for millenia. But in truth, should it not be precisely the opposite? This person professes to love others, and yet when called upon for spiritual uplifting, chose to use their faith to condemn another, instead.

That . . . that is the crux of the issue I have with organized religion. Have your faith; allow others their faith. Allow yet others to decide whether faith is the right path for them. But do not, DO  NOT, presume to condemn someone for something that your own particular faith finds morally wrong. Make those choices for yourself, if you must . . . but everyone, EVERYONE, deserves the right to make those choices for themselves.

© Copyright 2013 Merry Mumsy (UN: amygdalia at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Merry Mumsy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/798701-A-Mad-Mad-Mad-Mad-Mumsy