*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/800218
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1967120
A story set in the 1960s about a young witch willing to sacrifice for her true love.
#800218 added January 26, 2014 at 10:26pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 2: Setting Up for the Kill
Morning found me walking downstairs into the dining room to join the others for a weekend family breakfast.  “Good morning.” I mumbled sleepily as I took my seat at the table.


The clinking of forks continued while no one acknowledged my existence.  I sat down next to my sister, Bell, and pulled slightly on her sleeve, “What’s going on?” I whispered.


Her eyes widened and held my stare for a few seconds but she shook her head and silently went back to her breakfast.  Am I missing something? “What’s going on, Tom?” I proceeded my questioning to my brother across the table.  He, too, was oblivious to my question. 


Then I suddenly realized, Tom must have told mother and father about yesterday.  He’s always been the blabbermouth in the family.  I looked down at my empty plate where a nice hearty breakfast was supposed to appear the instant I sat down.  I pushed my chair back and stood up.  “You know what, fine, don’t talk to me, don’t feed me, don’t care about me.  I’m out of here and none of you will be able to stop me.” 


I walked around the table toward the entrance of the dining room but when I got there, I hit a wall.  I tried again and again I bounced back. I couldn’t get through to the other side of the threshold.  “What the hell? You did this.  Now let me out!” I pointed at my father.


Father turned around, “We put that spell there for your own good.” They all stood up and walked out of the room trapping me behind.  When father got to the other side, he turned to me and said, “When you forget about the boy, let us know.”


“I will always love Carter.” I said grinding my teeth.


“Well then, it looks like you will be in there for a long time or until he dies.” Father grinned maliciously. 


“Well then,” I countered with a similar grin, “may I cause you all just as much misery.”


He turned around and followed the others while I stood at the entrance of the dining room. I retreated into the back corner of the dark dining room and began to sob quietly.


*****



Time went by slowly as I remained silently here in the dining room.  There were no windows, and no light to tell me the time of day or the number of days I’ve been in here.  I could only tell that a day was over when the lights went out as everyone went to bed.  No one even came and check whether I was alive or brought any food, not even Bell, the only person I could always count on. 


I guess there’s no arguing when father’s around.  I fell asleep from time to time but visions and nightmares always plagued me, taking something that is real and turn it into something of a monster shaking me awake. 


I wondered if Carter snuck into the yard again, throwing rocks at my window looking for me or was he still angry at me for shooing him away.  It was for his good, to protect him, I tried to tell myself but it was no use, I’m still the useless person trapped in this dark room with no magic to help me get out. 


I sat up and leaned my head back against the wall, “Carter, I’m sorry.  I’m sorry.” Tears escaped my eyes. 


I closed my eyes and slowly drifted to sleep again.  When I opened my eyes, I was standing on the side of a street that I’ve never seen in New Janestown before. Did they kick me out while I was sleeping? Maybe they had finally given up on me, now that I’m out, I can go to Carter’s and explain, I thought happily.


Before I could make a move to go the other way, something like an invisible cord pulled at me to follow the hooded figure in front of me, I had no choice but to follow closely behind the black hooded figures.  As we rounded the corner onto an alley, they suddenly stopped.


I tapped on the shoulder of the nearest person, “What’s going on?” The hooded figure did not respond, he or she just stared straight ahead and treated me like I don’t exist just like my family. 


I moved out of the formation to the front to see what was happening.  I was faced with another group that looked a lot like a street gang.  Behind me, the head of the pack lowered the hood and I gasped. 


It was Mary Jane, the leader of our coven.  The others must be the rest of the coven, what are they doing in such a nasty neighborhood.  No one seemed to notice that I was right in front of them.  Before I could think more, the leader of the gang, Tyrone, approached, pounding his fist as he led his pack, muscles rippled beneath his torn sleeves.  Carter once told me about Tyrone and his pack, terrorizing the neighborhood of Noverton, where Carter and his family currently reside. 


“You’re trespassing on our territory, you know what we do to people who trespass on our territory?” Tyrone said toughly, still pounding his fist. 


Mary Jane scoffed, “You don’t scare me or any of us, you human scums.  We can triumph over your pack in seconds.  However, we didn’t come here tonight to fight.  We’ve come here to deal.  Now if you’re listening.”


Tyrone narrowed his eyes, maybe deciding whether he should fight but in the end, he decided not to.  “What kind of a deal?” He asked narrowing his eyes.


“Money,” Mary Jane said, “we are willing to pay you each $100 if you will help me and my brothers and sisters eliminate a person.”


“You must be either desperate or you don’t want to get your hands dirty.  What you mean by eliminate a person?  You mean like get rid of him, kill ‘im?” Tyrone asked.


“That is correct, uh?” Mary Jane asked.


“Tyrone and you?” Tyrone answered.


“Mary Jane,” Mary Jane grinned.  “So do we have a deal or not?” She stuck out her hand.


Tyrone stared at Mary Jane for a long time and Mary Jane did the same.  It was like they were in the midst of a staring battle.  “Fine but under one condition,” Tyrone stuck up his pointer finger.  “You need to make sure we won’t be caught.  I cannot afford to lose my pack or my business. Do we make ourselves clear?” He clasped his hand with Mary Jane’s.  I could tell Mary Jane felt a great wave of disgust shaking Tyrone’s hand. “Now who is the person you need me to kill?”


“His name is Carter Thomas.”


Carter? They are going to kill Carter, the love of my life.  This has to be some kind of nightmare, it can’t be real.  Witches hiring humans to kill anyone is incredibly horrible because they usually hire humans to kill when they want their victim to suffer before dying. 


I stepped in front of Mary Jane and grabbed the collar of her robe, “Mary Jane, you cannot do this.  I love him.” I shook her with all the strength I’ve got. 


Mary Jane suddenly became conscious of my existence.  She took my hands off of her, “You know what, Lilianna, you are being selfish.  Have you thought about the future of the coven?” Mary Jane pushed me into the side of the alley.  “Have you thought about the coven’s future? Huh, have you? We might lose our power because of your selfishness and stupidity.  Falling in love with a human.” She scoffed. 


“Who I love is none of your business.  You cannot control me or anyone of the coven and I certainly will not let you kill Carter.  If you want to get rid of Carter, you will have to get rid of me first.” I said clenching my teeth. 


“That can be arranged.” Mary Jane grinned evilly and in front of the coven, she grabbed my neck and banged my head against the brick wall. 


“You cannot kill me that easily.  I believe in love and it will always conquer evil.” I said choking from Mary Jane’s grasp. 


“We will see about that.” She said against her teeth and then she shoved something in my chest.  The pain seared and spread like fire from my chest.  She let go of my neck and I fell over, clutching my chest.  Mary Jane bent over, smiled and whispered, “This is what you get for loving a human.  I will not have you ruin my plans.  Power will always triumph.  When will you learn that it’s never about love?”


My breathing faltered and before I realized, my heart stopped, it was completely still, I was dead. 
© Copyright 2014 Y. Zheng (UN: yzheng at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Y. Zheng has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/800218