*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/800219
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1967120
A story set in the 1960s about a young witch willing to sacrifice for her true love.
#800219 added January 26, 2014 at 11:13pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 3: The Curse Bound By Love
The pain spread like wild fire.  That was the last thing I remembered before I took my last breath.  Suddenly it stopped, not only do I not feel pain, I felt hunger.  My heart has also begun beating again.  I took a long deep breath, taking in all that’s around me. 


I tilted my head to sniff the air.  What is that smell? It smells like bread and chicken.  I opened my eyes and found myself face to face with Bell.  I was back in the dining room, unharmed and starving.  I must have somehow broken through the boundary between a dream and a premonition and that’s why Mary Jane was able control part of it as well as be able to inflict some kind of psychological pain on me. At least now I know what the coven is plotting against me but at the same time, I couldn’t help but worry since I may not be able to save Carter.


I plopped myself up against the wall, Bell was still bending over and staring at me.  Worry lines lined her forehead.  I sniffed the air once more and my eyes followed the smell to the plate of food next to her, on it was a roll, mashed potatoes, and a piece of chicken.  Has Bell come to help me? But if she did, then why didn’t she say something in front of father that day.  I scoffed, “Come to see if I’m dead yet?” I stared at the plate, mouth watered as I spoke.


“No, I came because I worried about you.  It’s been four days.  How long are you going to go on like this?” Bell said.  She pushed the plate toward me.  “Here, the others are not here, eat.”


I scoffed, “How do I know it’s not poisoned? After all, you are on their side. I have a better idea, prove to me that you don’t have power in here. ”


She cupped her hands and closed her eyes. When she opened them again, nothing happened. “See, I have no power in here.” I was still eying the food.  “Look, it’s not poisoned. I thought you trusted me, Lil.” She sighed, took the plate of food and sat next to me.  Then she tore a piece of the roll and stuffed it into her mouth.  “See, it’s not poisoned.”


I took the bread from the plate and shoved it into my mouth.  The softness of the bread made me yearned for more.  I grabbed the chicken and tore the meat off the bone like someone who hadn’t eaten for weeks.  When I was through, I put down the chicken, “Then why did you ignore me that day? Why didn’t you defend me?”


Her eyebrow shot up, “You’re joking right.  Lil, there’s no arguing with father.  You’re enduring the consequences for arguing with father. After Thomas told father what he saw you do in the backyard and I defended him for you, he put a spell on me to make me shut up.  I am sorry, I tried to make them see but there was no use.” She explained. 


I stared at her for some time, “You don’t believe me.  I can tell by that look on your face.  Look, you have always come to me for advice so why can’t you trust me now when I say I defended you in front of dad?”


“Right now, I’m not really sure who to trust.” I said quietly.  “It seemed like everyone’s against me lately.”


Bell shook her head, “We are not against you.  We are just against who you love.  Don’t you care about losing power? Aren’t you worried at all?”


“Not really.  Isn’t happiness is all about being with the person you love? If I be with a person purely for the power, why not love at all?” I pointed out.


Bell sighed and stood up.  I guess she felt as hopeless for me as the rest of the family.  She picked up the plate of chicken bones and headed for the exit.  An idea suddenly flashed across my mind.  “Hey, Bell, could you maybe tell dad that I’m ready to compromise?”


Bell’s eyebrow shot up, “Really, but you just said you didn’t care.”


“No, I don’t but if it meant that much for the family to keep the power, I would make the sacrifice.” I smiled, trying to looking convincing.


The truth was I would do anything to get out of here even if it meant lying to the whole family about forgetting Carter.  My family can never tear me away from Carter, not even if they put a hex between us.  Carter’s heart and mine were already bound by something more powerful than magic. 


Bell stared at me for a second before she headed to the other side of the door.  “All right, I’ll talk to dad and see what he will say.”  She turned her heel and disappeared down the hall while I went back to my spot and sat.


Oh Carter, my dear sweet Carter, I thought, we are going to be together very soon.  No matter what it takes, I will see you real soon, I promise.


That night, I sat in the dark, a little anxious and nervous to go to sleep.  The fact that Carter’s life is in danger or if the event of that premonition had already happened, he could be dead.  I don’t know what I would do if he is dead because of me.  Perhaps, if I’m angry enough, I could kill the entire coven or have Mary Jane kill me for real. Either way, Carter and I would be together.


I closed my eyes and slowly drifted asleep only to be woken up by someone kicking my leg.  I opened my eyes sleepily and standing in front of me was father, face blank.  “So, Isabell told me you’re ready to talk.”


I rubbed my eyes and stood up, “yes, father, I am ready to talk.”


“Well?”


I sighed and vowed, “I will never see or talk to Carter again.  I will never disobey you again or I will face even more severe consequence.”


I looked at father’s face, he was neither happy nor sad, his expression was the same as always, expressionless.  “Good, you’ve learned.  In order to verify you’re telling the truth and make sure you keep your promise, I will put a distance spell on you.  Anytime you’re within 30 feet or so of the boy, a reaction will go off. Is that fair?” I nodded and promised myself that no matter what pain it would cause me, I will find a way.


Father held out his hand, “Your palm, please.” I placed my palm on top of his and he took a knife from his pocket and dug the blade into my palm.  I gasped in pain as father proceeded to draw a deep gash across my palm while blood flowed quickly out the wound while he began muttering under his breath.


He curled my fingers to the point that my nails were digging into the cut.  I groaned loudly in pain as he continued muttering the spell and forcing my nails into the wound.  Tighter and tighter he held my hand as the wound got deeper and deeper, blood flowed from my hand to the beautiful wooden floor.


“Father, please, it hurts.  Please, stop.” I pleaded.  Finally, he relaxed, uncurled my finger and covered my hand into his. 


“It’s done.” He said quietly.  He uncovered my hand and let go.  I glanced at my palm, the wound was gone, it was like it never happened.  Father turned his back and walked toward the door.  When he got to the door, he turned around, “The spell has been lifted.  You are now free to leave.”


I nodded and looked back at the room once more before I walked toward the exit.  I took my step across the threshold and a relieving smile appeared on my face.  The spell has been lifted and I can now go see Carter. 


© Copyright 2014 Y. Zheng (UN: yzheng at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Y. Zheng has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/800219