*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/803010-Bipolar-Rascal
Rated: E · Book · Family · #1953696
Family history and lessons learned growing up, the people who influenced my life.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#803010 added January 12, 2014 at 3:30pm
Restrictions: None
Bipolar Rascal
The holidays have come and gone, but this will be one for my heart to remember for a long time. I spent Christmas Eve morning in the emergency room at our near by hospital. One of my dogs, who I think is bipolar, got into bed with me and my husband during the night. He is the reason for that old saying, "let sleeping dogs lie" so when my husband bumped him with his hand, the dog went crazy, biting. Now this is a small dog, part Jack Russell Terrier mix, but has a big bite.
When I heard my husband yell, I turned over and grabbed his collar and he bite my hand, as well as my husbands hand. My husband has other health issues, so we left for the hospital, both of us with our hands wrapped in towels and hurting. My husbands' injury was less, requiring only two stiches, but mine was bad.
I got twenty stiches with a suggestion to see a hand surgeon.

This dog, his name was Rascal, has been in our family for about four years, but has a history of biting us, but never this bad. We thought we had his problem figured out, but this was the worst. Since I didn't see a doctor for the previous bites, he didn't have to be observed, but this time it would be for ten days.
After talking with our VET, the decision was made to have him put down. Our vet said no dog should attack us in our sleep, and after shedding many tears, I had to let him go. In all of my years of owning all kinds of animals, I've never had one to bite me or have to be put down. I truly believe he was bipolar and had aggression problems, also. Rascal was sweet one minute and mean the next. He was a very smart dog, and loved playing ball and doing tricks, but could not be trusted when sleeping, eating, or protecting his toys. We have a beagle who gave him lot's of space and he never bothered her.

With family and children coming over from time to time, we just couldn't take a chance of Rascal biting them.
My heart is still sad, and my hand is slowly healing, and I still love and miss my Rascal. After all, he was just a dog who offered unconditional love when not biting. I will keep him in my heart and move forward to another day.

© Copyright 2014 50's Child (UN: busytexaslady at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
50's Child has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/803010-Bipolar-Rascal