*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/803882-Half-way-Around-the-World
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1962205
You are what you write. Illusion and Reality...I reside in between. Where are you?
#803882 added January 19, 2014 at 8:51pm
Restrictions: None
Half-way Around the World
So now it's official...We have moved half-way around the world (took something like 50 hours) We are back in Belize, staying with friends in Belize City. We left Tehran on the 13th, flying to Istanbul, Turkey. Then a ten hour wait in the terminal. When we arrived, we had to change airlines so Visa purchase: $20 for me and $60 for Ali...I guess they don't like Canadians. Then our two suitcases had to be claimed. Mine had one of the rollers broken off, so I had to sort of drag it along. Ali's had the handle, on one end for rolling, actually torn out, leaving a hole. So it had to be carried (40lbs). We got a cart because we also had two carry on bags, plus a camera bag. Another five hour wait.

Then check-in to Lufthansa. More passport checks, customs, etc.. This one just happened to be a flight that was carrying about 80% immigrants to Germany. The rest were German tourists. Mood on the plane was very upbeat, all the way to Frankfurt. It was an Airbus, and very nice. Good food. Several meals and snacks. The seats in Economy are very narrow.

At the Frankfurt airport we had a five hour wait for our flight to Cancun, Mexico, this time on Condor Airlines. Really nice plane (Airbus again)  except we got the final two seats in the very back...just in front of the toilet (flushing sounds). The food for us was served LAST. Of course we're flying Economy Class. All the flights were fully booked. The flight to Cancun took eleven and a half hours, and three meals. Between sleeping and waking, it took on a dream-like quality.

Arrived early evening and waited one hour to clear passports and get Mexican visa. Then get the damaged luggage to drag around. By then it was nearly dark and raining. There is only one flight a day to Belize and fully booked, so we took a taxi to the bus station. By then we were totally exhausted, so only went for about 1 1/2 hours to Playa del Carmen to get a cheap hotel room($40) close to the bus station. Had dinner at MacDonald's, then sleep.

Up early and got a bus to the border at Cozumel...about five hours. The bus was more comfortable than the airlines. I slept most of the way. Then to get to Belize...we missed the good buses and ended up getting a old, beat-up school bus. They're commercial carriers, just border-line economy. Our luggage rode in the back on top of the spare tire. Bumpy, windy with broken windows, It rained some of the time. We breezed through the border and customs into Belize since we're both permanent residents and we were on a non-tourist bus. Actually it was kind of fun.

Of course it was night when we got to the bus station in Belize City. Got a taxi to take us out the Western Highway to our friend's house...and their first words were, "Welcome Home!". So cool, we have our own room, (and how we know these lovely folks is another long story for some other time.) The universe provides in the most unexpected ways.

Anyway, we are back in very familiar territory. All is well. 12 hour jet lag is ugh... I did manage to edit one chapter of Knights of Sparrow. The constant in my life is writing.com.

Happiness is the end of a journey. >>>iggy
          ** Image ID #1264233 Unavailable **

© Copyright 2014 iguanamountain (UN: iguanamountain at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
iguanamountain has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/803882-Half-way-Around-the-World