*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/805382-Day-17---A-Promise-Kept
by OOT™
Rated: ASR · Book · Contest Entry · #1972196
Stories for my second go round of 30 Day Image Prompt Contest
#805382 added February 1, 2014 at 11:43am
Restrictions: None
Day 17 - A Promise Kept
Cindy promised she would never leave her friend, Sarah. Sure, they were only ten years old, but a promise is a promise at any age. Sarah had known that Cindy had leukemia, but she hadn't really understood what the disease entailed. Now, Cindy was gone, and Sarah couldn't decide whether to mourn or be angry, so she was doing both.

Sarah went to bed that night wishing for Cindy's return. It was an innocent wish; she just wanted her friend back. She knew it wouldn't do any good, but, after crying until her head hurt, she couldn't think of anything else to do. Sarah went to sleep thinking about Cindy and all the fun the two had had.

Several hours later, in the field behind Sarah's house, something was out of place. It was a calm night, but the wind howled. All of the animals were frightened away. A lone girl was walking through the field. But something was off about her. Her skin was transparent, and her eyes glowed red. She was carrying a doll, but it had been torn to shreds. And she was headed for Sarah's house.

A few hours later, Sarah learned the hard way not to try to hold people to promises they couldn't keep, right before she took her last breath.
© Copyright 2014 OOT™ (UN: outoftouch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
OOT™ has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/805382-Day-17---A-Promise-Kept