*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/805426-Chapter-4-09222006-Conflicted
Rated: 18+ · Book · Sci-fi · #1740215
Time is mischievous.
#805426 added February 14, 2014 at 5:37pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 4: 09/22/2006: Conflicted
Chapter Four
9/22/2006: Conflict and Resolution

Bailey nearly cracked my ribs with the force of his arms holding me to him. “You should have called me last night,” he growled into my hair.

“I know,” I said hoarsely, as my breath had been squeezed out.

He pulled back, holding me at arms length, and then crushed me again, “You should not have been in that alley.”

I pulled back this time, “I have lived in this town my entire life, and I have walked down that alley hundreds, if not thousands of times. I…”

He silenced me with his lips on mine. “I’m glad you’re ok.”

He rushed right over and nearly beat down my door when I called and told him what happened. I don’t know why I kept quiet about the man in the trench coat again, as I had with the police. Maybe I thought no one would believe me. I wouldn’t have believed me.

“I would have been here last night. I should’ve been here with you.” He held me close, tucking my head under his chin. “I really want you to move in with me - today.”

Suddenly I felt very claustrophobic. I enjoy the peace and freedom of living alone; it allows my “creative process” to function more readily. The thought of sharing my living space with anyone besides Artemis was too much on top of what happened the night before.

“Bailey, really, I’m fine.” I gently released myself from his arms and moved to sit on the couch. “I promise no more walking in alleys; I’ll be a good girl.”

A cloud of disappointment passed over his face, followed by one of anger. “If you don’t want to move in with me you can just say so Sam. I’ll get over it, don’t worry.” He paced back and forth a little. I had never seen him that upset before. “Yesterday I ask you to move in with me, and then what happened last night? You cringe as though it’s some kind of punishment! It’s not a trap, I want to be with you, to keep you safe.”

“I don’t see how my living with you would have made any difference in a situation like last night, except that I would have been walking the opposite direction.”

“You shouldn’t be out walking that late at night,” he condemned.

And that tipped the scale the wrong way. “You are not my Father,” I shoved myself away from him and got up from the couch. “I am a grown woman; I live in a free country and will do as I damn well please.” I stomped across the room and threw the door open, “No one speaks to me like that in my house. Get your ass out!”

He rose from the couch but he made no move to leave. “Samantha,” his tone was much more subdued suddenly, “Baby, please. I only want what’s best for you.” He approached me slowly, taking my hand in his. I let him. “I’m just worried about you.”

I sighed, he was giving me the puppy-dog eyes, batting those way-too-long-for-a-boy eyelashes at me, and I melted. “I know, and I’m sorry I didn’t call you last night.” I burst into tears, finally releasing the fear and anxiety I’d repressed from the night before.

He closed the door again, and led me over to the couch. I sat on his lap and cried into his neck for at least a half hour. When I was done, I felt like an idiot, because nothing actually happened to me. My mysterious protector had seen to that, but I couldn’t mention that tidbit to Bailey without setting him off again.

After a few more minutes of sniffling, I looked at the clock and saw that it was 9:48. “Don’t you have to be in LA somewhere to sign paperwork?” I slid over onto the couch.

“No, I put that off until tomorrow. I was thinking we should go get some breakfast.”

“Okay,” I got up from his lap, but he caught my hand and pulled me back down next to him.

“One more thing, and I promise I’ll let up on the moving in together talk for awhile if you promise not to be too upset.” He brushed a loose strand of my hair behind my ear.

“Upset about what?” Now I was confused.

“We’re going to have to cancel our Hawaii trip. There are three big meetings that week, and there’s just too much to get done.”

I had actually forgotten about it, but I pouted anyway so he would think I was disappointed. “I understand, this is a once in a lifetime chance. We can always go to Hawaii after you’re home,” I raised my eyebrow suggestively, “to celebrate.”

He smiled and ran his finger down my nose. “Thank you for being understanding.”

We walked to the door, “Bailey?”

“Hmmm?” I kissed him, he smiled. “I love you Sam.”


***

Bailey feigned disbelief at my insistence the guy hadn't touched me, and decided after breakfast he would thoroughly examine me himself. We left the bakery, and went over to his place. Over the next couple of hours he made sure not one inch of my body went unchecked, and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

When Bailey was done playing doctor, he hit the shower and I went out on the balcony for a smoke, wearing his t-shirt. I was thinking about moving in, honestly I was, but I just couldn’t see myself living here or anywhere with him, and I wasn't sure how to break the news.

"You can be a tough woman to track down," Jake's voice carried up from to sidewalk below.

I grinned at him over the railing, "Couldn't be too tough, it’s been less than twelve hours since I saw you last. Come on up, I’ll let you in."

Bailey was walking into the living room, still shirtless and toweling his hair. I waved him back to the bedroom, "Jake tracked me down, and he’s coming up right now."

“And we’re meeting him in the bedroom?”

I hopped into my jeans, “No, you’re putting a shirt on.” I crossed the apartment back to the door, and opened it for Jake just as he was about to knock. “Come on in.”

“Sorry to bother you Sam, just a couple of follow up questions.”

“Sure thing.”

“The guy that attacked you, name is Raymond Morrison. Does that mean anything to you?”

It was the first time I’d heard the name. “No, can’t say that it does.”

He nodded, expecting that response. “We checked out his place, seems he’s been following you for awhile.”

“How long is awhile?” Bailey asked.

“We don’t know exactly, looks like at least a couple of weeks, maybe longer. He has photo and video surveillance, notes tracking your every movement.”

“That’s weird,” I was stunned, and more than a little freaked out, “really weird. Why?”

“We don’t know. He was hopped up on something when we took him in, we haven’t figured out what yet. The tests have all come up negative for the usual suspects. Probably one of those new designer drugs that isn’t officially illegal yet.”

“Wow.” I couldn’t think of anything else to say. My Shadow – I began to think of him this way – saved me from more than just some random psycho. “Jake this is giving me the creeps.”

“I don’t blame you Sam. But I’m not entirely surprised either; guys followed you around like puppies back in school.” He produced a picture from his inside coat pocket, “You don’t recognize him from anywhere? Maybe he came into the bar when you were working?”

I shook my head, “No, I’ve never seen him before. I mean, I sort of saw him last night, but it was dark. I wouldn’t recognize him either way.”

“One thing Morrison did say was that it was a man that tackled him and dumped him.”

I just stared blankly at him and shrugged my shoulders. “I don’t know what to tell you Jake, there wasn’t anyone else there.”

Jake seemed convinced easily enough, which was a little disconcerting, “Well he was definitely high, and then again maybe he just didn’t want to admit to being bested by a woman.”

“Perhaps,” I went along with that.

“Well, that’s all I have for now. We’re still going to need you down at the station to give a formal statement, but that can wait until tomorrow.”

Bailey and I spent most of the rest of the day holed up in his apartment. Late in the afternoon we took a stroll downtown, and stopped by my place to check on Artemis. She let me pet her for two seconds, then she hissed at Bailey, and hopped out the window. She didn’t like being around him, but so I filled her dishes and we left. We rented a Rom-Com, and picked up sandwiches from the Novica Cafe to take back to his place. That was our version of a hot Friday night date.
© Copyright 2014 Roari ∞ (UN: isiterrasource at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Roari ∞ has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/805426-Chapter-4-09222006-Conflicted