*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/806000-This-ones-about-a-secret-and-finding-balance
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1939270
A third attempt at this blogging business.
#806000 added February 5, 2014 at 10:01pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about a secret and finding balance.
MOB-RELATED ACTIVITY:

February 2014 Blog Mob - Join or ...


What's up y'all? I dunno about you, but if you're somewhere in Canada or the Northern third of the US and you're anything like me, you're done with the cold weather...and you know I'm not one to typically waste my day complainin' about it, but here I am, thoroughly frickin' over it. I say that because I had to partake in a stupid task that I'll get into a little more later on, mainly because I was too lazy earlier in the week to do it because "it was too cold". As usual, my procrastination has led me toward anger that should just be directed at myself and forgotten about. Instead I'll project it a little bit...spoiler alert: don't feel sorry for me.

Today in the "30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS's Blog Mob our bOSS (with a uncapital B) Brother Nature told us he wasn't gonna be available for the next day or so. Sounds like he's got a situation on his hands that only he can be a party to, which I can understand. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with this or not, but I wouldn't blame him for being on the run...

guess what happens in the Blog Mob stays in the Blog Mob.


In his absence Joel's left nobody in charge, but threw down a bit of a warning that if anyone got too out of hand, I wouldn't be afraid to step in. It's probably because of that afternoon I spent locked up in jail cell...when you've been cuffed and stuffed in the back of a cop car you almost always come out a changed person. For me, that change was in my sick time at work because I had to waste my phone call explaining why I wouldn't be coming in that afternoon.

Anyway, what Joel doesn't know is that courtesy of Wordsmitty ✍️ and House Florent is ready we've got our own super-secret Blog Mob mission planned, and he doesn't even know about it. Maybe he better sleep with one eye open tonight...word on the street is that Lyn somehow managed to slip out of her cement shoes. As soon as I get done here I'll have to assume my position and...well, let's just say he will not have seen it comin'. Never turn your back on a mob that's had too many rum balls once the cookies ran out. *Smirk*

BCF PROMPT: "Who is your favorite and least favorite celebrity? And why?"

I've got an idea...let's play "Remember When...?"

Remember when I said I don't really care for movies because I don't have the patience or the attention span for them? Guess what goes hand-in-hand with that notion (in my little world, at least)? Celebrities. I don't watch enough tv or movies to have the proper frame of reference to answer this question. I tend to get more attracted sometimes to the roles they play, because I know 99.4725% of the people behind them wouldn't give me a second look in real life, so it's just better for my mental health to 1) like who they're portraying more; and 2) not get caught up in a relationship with a fictional character, 'cuz that's just crazy.

So yeah, I don't have favorites. I guess if I'm watching a particular tv show for a few seasons, I might become slightly enamored with a particular actress...but then my rules governing my attraction towards famous people (from the previous paragraph) kick in and I go back to being "single guy living on his own" from "single guy living on his own who's unreasonably attracted to the latest in Hollywood's darling-actress-of-the-month club". Sorry guys, I just can't do it today.

MUSICAL BREAK!!

** Image ID #1970900 Unavailable **


I went from having no idea what song I wanted to use today for my pick in "The Soundtrack of Your Life...and then I had three. I chose this because I think it's too early in the month to be repeating artists (although I read a really good article about them that maybe I'll share on another day...and it was more about an album of theirs rather than a song on that album, so picking one would've been a little more difficult).

There's not one line or set of (NSFW) lyrics that stands out to me on "Trying To Find A Balance" by Atmosphere (album: Seven's Travels {link:http://www.amazon.com/Sevens-Travels-Atmosphere/dp/B007LNJ690/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391647254&sr=8-1&keywords=atmosphere+seven%27s+travels}; lyrics: http://rapgenius.com/Atmosphere-trying-to-find-a-balance-lyrics), but it's the overall point that it's not as important to be liked or admired in someone else's eyes if you can't be happy with what you see through your own. Also, there's this idea of "celebrity" that I think is conjured up by society...lavish lifesyles, money, eternal happiness, etc., but the reality of that can be entirely different. Ever met someone you consider "famous" and they were a total douchetool to you? Maybe their week wasn't as good as yours...you get to go home and post up about how you met someone famous; meanwhile, they're going home after another long day of meeting twenty-eight other people just as obnoxious as you (or worse).

Personally, I make no secret of the fact I struggle with self-confidence a lot more than it seems. I don't take compliments very well and I often hide behind self-depricating humor to hide my insecurities, even when others might see it as not being necessary. I'm still learning that it's ok to feel good about yourself once in awhile, and that it's possible that although you've heard certain things in your life for so long that are more hurtful than true, that doesn't mean those words have to hold you back or stay your reality.

From the Atmosphere song.


It's been said before (and I believe it) that you have to have balance in your life in order to appreciate it. You have to take the good with the bad. There's no peace without war. Stuff like that. It's an easy concept, but it doesn't always present itself that way. I know I'm still trying to find balance in my life; I don't want to know what happens when I stop looking.



THE DAILY BOX SCORE:

For a blog entry about Atmosphere.


*Mic* I know I've dropped this picture and that song in during more than a few blog entries in the past, but I'll throw it at you one more time because I've only seen a handful of famous or sorta famous people up close and in person, and this might be the only time I've ever had my picture taken with someone who's toured the planet and put their arm around me. Slug couldn't have been the nicest guy...while we were waitin' in line to get into the venue he was just outside, greeting everyone as they came by. He cracked a few jokes with me and my friends, and told us to "have a good game out there", which was kinda funny at first until he looked at my boy Winkz' girlfriend, and then we knew he meant just as much for us to protect her in the crowd. That night was easily one of my top five favorite concerts.

6/12 Was waiting in line at the Atmosphere concert when we were greeted by Slug.


*Sleep* What's the point of taking medications designed to help you sleep when a truck is plowing snow in the lot adjacent to your bedroom window? Why would that wake me up at 3:30am, and not let me go fully back to sleep? I know I kinda fell into some weird dreamland place that wasn't entirely pleasant, but it certainly wasn't restful either...I swear I could still hear the plowing in the background of my nocturnal trip through time, yet I couldn't shake myself from it even though I knew I wanted to...I absolutely hate that feeling.

*Snow1* And speaking of snow, I had to go to the my local Department of Social Services building today for a few reasons...one being to finally get the voucher for my February bus pass. Should I have gotten it Thursday, Friday, Monday or Tuesday, when it was cold but not snowing? Sure. Did I? No. Because I'm an idiot and never really look ahead at weather forecasts and just assume it can't be any worse than it's been. And was I absolutely screwed today? Yup. So did I take the one remaining bus token I have and use it to ride the bus? No. What about a dollar? I had a buck on me, which is what a one-way fare costs. Would I spend it? Nope. Because as I've complained about before, the bus system in this town doesn't have a route that actually takes you directly to the bus station, where you need to take the damn voucher to get the pass. Oh sure, you can get on route #4 and tell the driver that's where you wanna go, but it's a whole different story if he'll remember to go out of his way to take you there. So, like an idiot, I walked there, and it just snowed and snowed. On a more positive note, there's a grocery store around the corner from the bus station that has some of the most ridiculously inexpensive prices on deli meat (albeit not a great selection), and they've got a free little "help yourself" coffee station set up, which definitely took some of the sting out of it being crappy out.

*Down* Just in case you were wondering about your state, http://www.mandatory.com/2014/02/05/the-absolute-worst-person-from-each-state/1. I'm pleased to see none of us is listed in the accompanying diagram.

*Facebook* And from the ever-changing land of Facebook, a look at one of their biggest problems...http://mentalfloss.com/article/54890/evolution-facebooks-pronoun-problem. That's your "Champions Of Literacy" link of the day.

Alright, well, it's time for me to head off and start my super-secret mission that's so super and so secret that I can't really share it with any of you unless you join our Blog Mob (and if you're in the Mob already then you know what it is and I don't have to worry 'bout not telling you, 'cuz we're cool) first; otherwise, you'll have to wait a day or so to find out how (or is it "what"? Hmmm...) we did. Peace, nowadays everybody knows how to get fresh, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!


© Copyright 2014 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/806000-This-ones-about-a-secret-and-finding-balance