*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/806067-Successful-Goal-Setting
Rated: 18+ · Book · Other · #1799901
Come sit with me on the porch. We'll sip lemonade and talk. . .
#806067 added February 6, 2014 at 1:39pm
Restrictions: None
Successful Goal Setting
As you know from my previous two entries, I've joined the "Give It 100! group. It's helping me stay encouraged and motivated to acheive a couple of important goals I've set for myself. I've commited to writing in my journal every day. This keeps my creativity flowing and my mind active. The second goal is quite different.

My husband has been disabled for the last eighteen months, and I suffer from Rheumatoid Arthritis. Because of this, we've really let our house get in a big mess. Neither of us are putting away things like we should, though my husband is far worse about that than I am. We're both pack rats, but I will throw something away, and he'll go back and get it out of the trashcan!

You may also know that I struggle with depression. Looking at a huge pile of stuff is overwhelming, so we both just throw our hands up and say, "What the heck!" Until now, that is. I decided that, even with my RA, I can work fifteen minutes a day to get my house in order. It will be a slow process, but it will be progress. I'm determined to work on it even if it's 10:00 p.m. before I can do it. Inevitably, my reluctant husband joins in with me, so we get more done.

For me, the key is setting a goal I could realistically manage. If I can work longer than fifteen minutes, that's icing on the cake, but I'm bound to work at least fifteen minutes.

I take ten-second videos of our progress, which makes it more exciting. I have proof positive that I am moving forward with both goals. I get encouragement from the members of the WDC group and from the members of the web site. It really does motivate me to push a little extra to make my goal.

These are all key elements of successful goal setting.
1. Make the goals realistic and doable. Concentrate only on the current goal(s).
2. Take pictures or videos to help you see the progress. (Or make a chart or graph.) This really is a motivator.
3. Seek encouragement from others. Let them know what you're aiming for so they can cheer you on. This adds enthusiasm to your project!
4. Commit yourself to keep the promise you made to yourself and others This adds integrity to your character.

Okay, I've written about this topic for three days. I promise to move on to something new tomorrow! Stay tuned.


© Copyright 2014 Pat ~ Rejoice always! (UN: mimi1214 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pat ~ Rejoice always! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/806067-Successful-Goal-Setting