*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/806092-Chapter-12
by Rojodi
Rated: 18+ · Book · Thriller/Suspense · #1975937
Sometimes people are given a second chance at living one moment over.
#806092 added February 6, 2014 at 5:17pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 12
Chapter 12

Micah Vaughn returned to his bedroom and grabbed his car keys and wallet. “That wouldn’t be fun,” he joked to his sister.

“You can’t drive without them.” Veronica walked out of the bedroom and waited for him on the landing. He took a quick glance around the room, trying to delay what was to come. Satisfied that he didn’t forget anything, he exited and closed the door behind.

He walked down the stairs with his sister as an animal led to slaughter. He heard several voices, all female, talking in hushed tones. He picked out his mother and sisters Ewa ad Stephanie rather easily, the others he had difficulty.

Micah grabbed his sister’s elbow and stopped them on the last landing. “Can I ask who’s down there?”

Ronnie turned and looked at him with a big smile. “It’s just a few people.”

He inhaled deeply and shook his head. “How many are a few?”

“You’ll find out soon enough,” she said, taking his hand in his. “The sooner you get down there, the sooner it’s over.”

The stairs ended in the kitchen. He was grateful; no one was in there. He took a few steps, rounding the corner and saw the living room full of women. He saw his mother and sisters. He saw a smiling Mrs. Kennedy, the next-door neighbor. He saw Mrs. Napier and her daughter, women that he’s known since his family moved to into the neighborhood eight years earlier. He stopped in his tracks, afraid of what the women would do to him.

“Come in here, Chance, we see you.”

He shook his head and looked to his older sister, his eyes wide in an unspoken question. He didn’t want to proceed any further until he knew exactly what was going on. Some women in the neighborhood want to see how you look before you go to the prom.”

“Why? Haven’t any of them had a son or brothers attend one?”

“Evidently no. Some of them came to mom or Ewa and asked if you were going to yours. Both of them ratted you our, told them you were taking Antoinette tonight.” She grabbed her brother around his waist and squeezed. It won’t be too bad, just a few pictures.”

“A few pictures? What do you mean a few pictures?”

She shook her head. “Just get in there and get it over with.”

He had more questions to ask. He had more apprehension to explain to her. He let them drop. “You’re right, let’s get in there.” Micah put on a smile and walked in. He saw nine women, several with cameras. The flashes made him close his eyes, but he kept smiling.

“Micah stand under the clock,” his mother said.

He smiled and did as asked, stood under the antique cuckoo clock. He looked at the assembled females and shook his head. He counted seven cameras, all with flashes. He looked at his watch.

“I have to leave soon,” he commented.

Ewa spoke, “No you don’t.” She took three rapid succession shots, almost blinding him. “We know when you need to be at Toni’s house.” She took another.

“Micah, put your hands to the side,” someone asked. He squinted, trying to look through the flashes for the source of the command.

“That’s a good idea for a pose,” another added. “Micah, do that.”

He sighed in resignation and placed his hands to his side. He heard Stephanie tell him to smile.

“Who’s getting the pictures for Grandma and Babcia?” Veronica asked.

Ewa answered, “I am. I’m also taking the pictures at Antoinette’s of the two of them together.”

“Do you have enough film?” his mother asked.

“Oh, can I get a few of those?” Mrs. Kennedy asked.

“I’ll have them all available ladies,” his oldest sister quipped.

He rolled his eyes. He felt like a model in a studio, directed how to pose, where to stand, whether or not to smile. He didn’t realize how well liked was in the neighborhood, but should have.

“Just a few more minutes,” Ewa said, more to the others than to him. “He does have to get going.”

“I’m done,” someone said.

“Please, Ewa, remember to share with us,” another added.

He looked at the clock and smiled. He had an hour before he had to be at her house. Ewa and Veronica were herding the other women out of the house, the oldest daughter reassuring everyone that she’ll have copies of the couple for everyone.

“Everything’s going to be fine,” Stephanie him. “You look fantastic.”

“Do you think so; think that everything will be all right?” He fidgeted, fixed his cuffs. He pulled at his collar.

“Stop that Micah Krzysztof Vaughn,” his mother said. Johanna Vaughn rarely used her only son’s middle name, but when she did, he knew he did something wrong.

“Sorry,” he whispered.

“You’re going to be fine.” She put her arms around him and hugged. “Tonight’s important for my little man.”

He struggled against the embrace, more over the comment than having her arms around him. “Mom, please don’t call me that. I’m 17, not 7.”

“You’ll always be my little man, even if you’re taller than me.”

Ewa laughed. “Mom, we’re all taller than you.”

“Don’t remind me.” Johanna ended her embrace and walked to her purse. “We should get going.”

“Wait, you’re going, too?” He looked at Ewa and shook his head. “I didn’t know mom was going.”

“We’re all going,” Stephanie said. She put her camera in her bag.

“You’re all going?” Why?” He shook his head. “It’s going to be packed in her house as it is. A couple of her friends and their dates are meeting us there, plus her parents and brothers.”

Oh don’t be a spoil sport,” Johanna admonished. “Where’s her bouquet?”

He didn’t know where he put it, didn’t remember if he took it out of Ewa’s car from the afternoon. He had a moment of panic.

Ewa spoke. “It’s on the kitchen table where you left it.”

He turned and walked to the kitchen. “Thanks sis,” he called over his shoulder.” He stopped and leaned against the table.

“This is going to kill me,” he mumbled to himself.

“No it’s not.” The Presence’s tone was calming to Micah, something that was first. “Trust me; you’re going to get through this, even the pictures at her house.”

What do you mean? What’s important about her house? Do you know something I should know? Micah didn’t expect any answers, but there was hope the Voice would slip. Throughout the day, Micah’s not received any indication that the Presence would slip, tell him who or what he was. He wasn’t upset when the Presence left his questions unanswered.

“Are you okay?” Ewa called out.

“Do we need to carry you to your car?” Stephanie joked.

He inhaled deeply and closed his eyes. “I can do this,” he comforted himself. He pushed off the table and grabbed the box. “No, I can walk.”

“I thought I’d get a chance to drive the Spyder,” Veronica said as he walked to the front door.

“You can, but only in your dreams sis.” He reached into his pocket and grabbed his car keys. He touched the left back pocket, to make sure he remembered his wallet. He opened the door and stepped out onto the porch. He received a smattering of applause. He blushed when he saw more neighbors had gathered on the front lawn. “Thank you,” he acknowledged. He comically gave a “Royalty” wave, causing the group of twenty or so neighbors to laugh.

Veronica joined him on the front porch. “You’re enjoying all of this.”

“Yes, I’m not going to lie.”

“Well, get used to it. Toni will probably have a crowd just as large.”

“Thanks for reminding me,” he said, descending the steps. He received well wishes and comments of encouragement from his neighbors, most of them he’s raked their leaves, mowed their lawns, or babysat their children. He turned down some money from Mr. De Crosta, the man who helped Micah with his Monza.

Micah took out his keys and smiled, thanked everyone again. He opened the Chevrolet’s door and sat. He closed the door, sat and stared out the windshield. “What have I gotten myself into?”

He didn’t expect an answer from the Presence. He wasn’t upset when none came. He put the key in the ignition, turned over the engine and drove out of the driveway, not seeing if his mother and sisters were following. He didn’t care.

“The sooner I get there, the sooner it will be over.”
© Copyright 2014 Rojodi (UN: rojodi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rojodi has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/806092-Chapter-12