*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/806096-Chapter-16
by Rojodi
Rated: 18+ · Book · Thriller/Suspense · #1975937
Sometimes people are given a second chance at living one moment over.
#806096 added February 6, 2014 at 5:20pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 16
Chapter 16

Micah looked at Antoinette and saw contrition on her face. He knew she didn’t want to let slip his nickname, not when introducing him to new people. He’s told her that she can tell her family about it, how he came to it. He sighed and began.

“I was three years old when I got sick. My diet was soups and liquids, as was the prescribed method to fight colds in 1968. After a week I didn’t get better, matter of fact, I got worse. A trip to the doctor had me suffering from bronchitis. He gave my mom prescriptions and told her I would be all right after a week, with some rest.

“A few days later, my grandmother, a nurse, was watching me while my parents went to the market. She noticed that I wasn’t breathing right and complaining of back pain. When my mom returned, she took me to the hospital where she worked. The ER doctor immediately diagnosed me with pneumonia. On the way to be X-rayed, I lost consciousness.

“They rushed me back to the ER. They got me conscious, but saw that I had turned blue for a moment. I was brought up to pediatrics where the nurses could watch me closely.”

“Oh that must have been horrible for your parents,” Terri commented.

“It was,” he said. Antoinette took his hand in hers and looked into his eyes.

She leaned in and whispered, “Do you want something to drink?”

“Please.” He smiled and watched as she walked towards the small soda fountain station set up near the kitchen door.

“So, you were in the hospital,” Dianne said, noticing that he was spending too much time watching his girlfriend.

“So, I was in the room. My parents rushed up to my bedside. By the time they arrived, I had slipped into a coma. The doctors didn’t know why I went from being alert and obnoxious – asking questions in the ER – to the coma.

“After a few hours, they consulted with each other and told my parents that I had both bacterial and viral pneumonia. It wasn’t to have both simultaneously, but it wasn’t that rare. What made them scratch their heads was why I slipped into unconsciousness.

“They told my parents I could wake up in minutes, hours, days, or never. My mom being the pessimist she is, called the family, telling them I was on death’s door. So many came so quickly, I was moved into a private room, so I could be seen better and not disturb the other children.

“It was late on day three when both my Great-grandmother Szczepanek and Grandmother Vaughn arrived. The staff wasn’t going to kick out two old women. On the contrary, they moved in two beds for their comfort, in case they wanted to stay all night.

“My Polish immigrant great-grandmother is a devout Catholic, still attends church daily. She broke out her rosary and began to pray, prayed to the Polish patron saints and the angels to help me.

“My full-blooded Mohawk grandmother wasn’t Christian-based religious herself, but she felt that every little bit would help. She made prayers to her ancestors, asking them for help.”

Antoinette returned with two drinks: a Pepsi for him and water for herself. She placed them on the table, next to her bouquet. She sat but took his hand in hers as she watched him continue.

“Thank you Toni,” he said. He took a sip before finishing his story.

“For three days they were in my room, at least one of them by me, holding my hand. The nurses would bring them meals. The doctors and interns would bring them water or ask them for updates on my condition.

“It was 7 in the morning on the fourth day when I opened my eyes. Babcia, that’s what we call my great-grandmother, saw it and leaned over. She asked me what my name was. When I answered, Grandma Kat woke up. Both women clapped and shouted in joy. She asked me if I wanted a drink.

“Nurses heard the commotion in the room and came in. I answered Grandma Kat’s question, but asked if I could have something to eat, too. I was hungry. The nurses said that was a terrific sign. It meant that there probably wasn’t any residual damage from the coma.”

“Later in the day, when my parents arrived, Babcia called me Chance. My mother asked why she said that. When she said that I had earned a second chance at life, Grandma Kat agreed, said that she had a dream the previous night where one of her grandparents told her I’d survive and earn the name Chance. It’s stuck ever since, though I don’t use it as often as I did when I was younger.”

He took another sip of soda and looked at the teens. He saw the girls with stunned looks on their faces, holding their dates’ hands tightly. He looked at Antoinette. She had her head turned away. He failed to notice that she had wiped away a tear. Though she knew the story and heard it told by him and his grandmother Szczepanek, it still made her tear. She always thought of what might have been, not meeting him.

“That is sad in a way,” Cam Drummond said. “You could have died from basically a simple cold.”

“Did they ever figure out why you developed two types of pneumonia?” Dianne asked.

“No,” he answered. “It baffled them then, and when I walk past the hospital and see one of the doctors still there, they tell me they still haven’t a clue as to why I did. To them, I was a medical abnormality.”

“And a medical miracle,” Antoinette added. She pulled him down and kissed his lips. “My miracle,” she whispered for his ears only.

“Aw, isn’t that cute,” a male voice boomed. Micah spun around and saw the source.

“Shit,” he heard Antoinette say before she stood. “Thomas, is there something I can do for you?”

“Well Toni dear, you can introduce me to your date.” Micah could feel the venom in the other teen’s voice. He saw that the other girls had grabbed their dates’ hands, as to keep them from starting something.

There was anger in her eyes, something that he had never seen Antoinette show before. She exhaled loudly before making introductions. “Micah Vaughn, this is Thomas Middleton.”

“This is Micah? Is this the one that you cheated with on me?” The teen was becoming upset; Micah could see it on his face. He just smiled and offered his hand. It went ignored.

“I didn’t cheat on you,” she said. It was obvious to Micah that the comment stroke a nerve with her.

“What made you say that?” he asked.

“She came back from camping and had no more time for me,” Middleton began. “I wanted to go out, take in a movie, and she wasn’t available.”

“That’s because she broke up with you months before,” Dianne chipped in. “My God, we all told you to leave her alone, have since 1980!”

“When will you get it through that thick head of yours?” Terri asked.

Hammond interrupted. “It would be wise for you and your date to leave.”

Drummond laughed. “Yes, take Jonah with you.” Jonah was Jonah Foss, Middleton’s best friend. The two were inseparable. Their relationship was a reason she gave for the breakup, she didn’t like having a third wheel around.

“Hey, I’m not his date,” Foss angrily retorted. “I’m here to back him up.”

“What for?” Drummond asked.

Antoinette’s anger grew with each moment. Micah could sense it. “Please, let’s be calm here. There’s no need to have a scene.” He helped her back to her seat and smiled. “It’ll be all right.”

Middleton pushed Micah. Micah ignored it and looked at the three other teens. He shook his head and motioned for them to stay. “Was there call for that?”

“Oh look, the big man is a chicken, afraid to fight.” Micah knew Middleton was trying to goad him into a fight, to show Antoinette just what kind of man she chose.

“Let’s dance,” Dianne said as the band began to play, a song that caused several couples to walk to the dance floor.

“That’s a good idea,” Antoinette said. She stood and took Micah to the dance floor, her friends following suit, leaving the two football players alone at the table.

They stepped on to the dance floor. The song’s tempo was quick, but she pulled him closer. “Thank you for trying not to fall for his scheme.”

“You’re welcome. I know far too many boys like him at my school. The best way to deal with them is not to give into what they want. He wanted me to take a swing at him, to get you and I kicked out.”

She stopped for a moment and looked at him. “I didn’t think of that, not at all. I was thinking he was jealous seeing me with someone else and wanted me to feel as bad as he does. You know, you’re right.” She stood on her tiptoes and kissed his cheek.

Pushed and ending in his arms, Antoinette screamed, “What the hell?” Micah looked and saw the culprit.

“I beg your pardon,” he said loudly.

“Excuse me,” Middleton said. He looked at the shorter teen, his fist clenched, and his demeanor that of someone ready to defend against a punch.

Micah shook his head and stayed silent. He hadn’t been in a fight since he was 13 and wasn’t going to have one tonight, not one as important as this. Before he could speak his mind, however, Middleton pressed against him, daring him to swing.

“Thomas, go away,” Antoinette said, stepping in between the two. She pushed Micah slightly. He knew what she wanted and backed away.

“Stay out of this, bitch,” Foss said, pushing the girl. Micah exhaled deeply, his fist slowly clenching. He looked at her with apologetic eyes, ready to punch both football players.

“Stop!” the Presence said. “If you do this, you’ll never be able to look at her again. She’ll be mad at you for ruining her special night.”

I know, but there are times when you have to stand up for yourself and start swinging. This is one of those times.

“No, it’s not. Here, repeat what I tell you, tell him.” Micah felt the Presence was right, that this wasn’t a time for physical violence.

He looked at Antoinette and smiled. “I got this.”

She looked into his eyes and saw them again, the out of focus pair she had before. Unlike the first time, it didn’t come with fear. She knew that the person or thing behind them was kind. She nodded and whispered, “Be good.”

“Mr. Middleton,” the two began, “I can understand your position. You’re hurt, angry, that I’m with your former girlfriend. You don’t like someone else is with her. I know how it feels. I’ve been there, but you should know something.”

“You’re a piece of work. You’re standing here, talking to me, not fighting. You’re chicken.”

Micah looked around and saw many couple standing around and waiting for something to happen. He saw chaperone’s rushing to break up their fight. “You know I’m speaking the truth. If I weren’t, you’d be swinging at me right now. Do yourself and everyone else a favor. Step away from Antoinette and I and think about it.”

“You’re lying. You’re just chicken.” He took a few steps closer.

“Deep down, you know Antoinette still cares for you, but you know that you two can no longer be a couple. It’s over.” He reached out and touched Middleton’s elbow. “You know I’m right.”

“What kind of bullshit is this?” Micah looked over at Foss and shook his head. “You want him to be escorted out of here, in handcuffs? Do you want to jeopardize his and your graduation possibilities? Do you to be arrested, spend time in jail?”

“No,” the friend whispered.

Chaperones rushed into the circle of prom goers and began to break it up. Two men, gym teachers Micah assumed, took Middleton and Foss away, without any more words said.

Micah closed his eyes and talked with the Presence. Thank you. Thank you for not allowing me to make an ass of myself.

“You’re welcome.”

“Where did all of that come from?” Antoinette asked. “I thought you would be throwing punches. I know I would have.”

He looked at her and shook his head. “For a moment, I thought I was going to as well but something came over me.”

She looked into his eyes and saw the unfocused eyes disappear. Her smile broadened, “Whatever came over you, it did the trick.”

The band played slow, the couples danced tight. Antoinette reached her arms up and wrapped them around the back of his neck She kissed his lips again.

© Copyright 2014 Rojodi (UN: rojodi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rojodi has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/806096-Chapter-16