*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/806972-A-Time-for-Remembrance
Rated: 18+ · Book · Other · #1799901
Come sit with me on the porch. We'll sip lemonade and talk. . .
#806972 added February 13, 2014 at 11:04am
Restrictions: None
A Time for Remembrance
The predicted ice and snow storm just grazed us and mostly pelted counties north of us all the way to the northern Alabama border. We were dismissed early from work and made it safe and sound to our homes before the slushy stuff began to fall. Temperatures in our area barely dropped below freezing and quickly warmed up when the sun came out, so all is back to normal in our area. That's not so of the northern counties. Still, I don't think it's as bad for them as the winter storm that hit Alabama and other Southern states two weeks ago.

It's like I say, though. If I wanted to live with snow all the time I'd move North. I prefer Alabama, thank you very much. It's a good state to live in for many reasons, mild winters being one of them. We have our days and nights in the twenties and teens, but they are short-lived, and our mild weather returns shortly.

Have I convinced you to move here yet? Sylacauga is a nice small town. I moved there (from an even smaller hometown) when I married my husband twenty-five years ago, and I soon came to feel that it was my hometown too. I lived in Atlanta in my younger years. I loved living there, but I don't miss the busy, bustling highways and navigating the interstates to work every day. I'm comfy right where I am.

I do have some fond memories from Atlanta, though. Once we were snowed in (with lots of ice, to boot) for a whole week. My friend called me because he had cabin fever, and we stayed on the phone and watched the entire episode of Saturday Night Live "together." We laughed and commented on all the skits. Those were the Chevy Chase, Dan Akroyd, Steve Marten, Lilly Tomlin days—among other greats. What fun it was to watch a TV show over the phone!

Then, when the roads were barely passable, a group of us teachers met at our favorite Mexican restaurant and enjoyed each other's company after a long hiatus from social interaction.

Wow, my entry was wandered around today. I guess the snow brought up old, happy memories. I often wonder what makes a good blog. What can I write that would be at all interesting to others. I think some days are better than others. Still, my goal is to write every day, even if it's only for myself.


© Copyright 2014 Pat ~ Rejoice always! (UN: mimi1214 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pat ~ Rejoice always! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/806972-A-Time-for-Remembrance